New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

Is it possible that Jolly Pumpkin will be a temporary location until this development is complete (I love Jolly Pumpkin beer. And if you haven't been to their Old Mission location, you need to visit if you are up in Traverse)? Think they'd move across the street if/when this development is complete? 

Bridge will still be a pretty impressive mix of breweries and distilleries if speculation is true. As for the local aspect, Long Road and Harmony are homegrown. I still think it definitely bolsters our Beer City moniker. :)

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Is it possible that Jolly Pumpkin will be a temporary location until this development is complete (I love Jolly Pumpkin beer. And if you haven't been to their Old Mission location, you need to visit if you are up in Traverse)? Think they'd move across the street if/when this development is complete? 

Bridge will still be a pretty impressive mix of breweries and distilleries if speculation is true. As for the local aspect, Long Road and Harmony are homegrown. I still think it definitely bolsters our Beer City moniker. :)

Joe

Long Road is on Leonard. :) Mitten is homegrown too, and Gray Line. I was mainly just talking about Bridge St, not the whole West Siiiiiide

• Like 1

Joe

My understanding is that significant investment is going into the Black Heron location for Jolly Pumpkin and that will be their permanent spot.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's the floorplan for North, and the site plan for the building. No renderings yet but I would bet the developer will show them off at the Nov. 9th PC meeting. Red Lion is planned to be demolished. 

North - West Side - site plan.jpg

North - West Side - floorplan.jpg

If you zoom in on sheet A101 near the center of the building  it says "North Peak Brewing."

Edited by demhem
clarify
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

Did I hear someone say that building is planned to be 5 stories?

Yes that was mentioned.  Again, if you look at the zoom of the first floor - floor plan, it identifies an apartment lobby on the east side of the building.   Looks like they are  going for a multi use set up, similar to the New Holland/Rockford complex down the street.   

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's the floorplan for North, and the site plan for the building. No renderings yet but I would bet the developer will show them off at the Nov. 9th PC meeting. Red Lion is planned to be demolished. 

North - West Side - site plan.jpg

North - West Side - floorplan.jpg

Nice scoop!

Also, as speculated, spiral staircase to Mash bar. 

Edited by thebeerqueer
  • Like 1

Nice! So so far, 5 stories, mixed-use with North Peak Brewery on the first floor, Mash on the 2nd (at least part of it) and apartments above.

That'll be great. I hope someone saves the signs. In fact, if someone is lurking on the forum that is connected to the development, I'd love to take them off your hands. Send me a message by clicking on my profile. :)

Joe

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Yes Joe, save the Red Lion signs!

Does anyone know who owns Kale's Corner, and if they are going to make any kind of effort?   Windows would be a nice starting point.

Growing up, the owner Kale, used to live across the street from us. He wasn't the friendliest neighbor. The bar that bares his name isn't either. I would imagine they make zero effort to improve their establishment. 

I was told today that Sovengard was likely going to fill the space where Conscious Collective was. It makes perfect sense from their position, though I will admit that it is painful (as a retailer) to see more and more space become exclusively food and beverage focused. I think I've got to accept that Bridge Street is going to be a food/dining district almost exclusively with the exception of Meijer and a few other things here and there. 

20 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I was told today that Sovengard was likely going to fill the space where Conscious Collective was. It makes perfect sense from their position, though I will admit that it is painful (as a retailer) to see more and more space become exclusively food and beverage focused. I think I've got to accept that Bridge Street is going to be a food/dining district almost exclusively with the exception of Meijer and a few other things here and there. 

The Meijer development will have quite of bit of Retail sqft available for rent. With all of the new apartments coming with it, it might open up the opportunity for more diverse retail. Although the prices they are trying to charge might scare off most types of retail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

North Restaurant or North Peak Brewing???

It's proposed by Greg Lobdell who owns North Peak Brewing but it says the name will be "North." Maybe they're branding it more as a "restaurant" as opposed to a brewpub. 

Here's the narrative from Concept Design:

59f38ff65e87c_North-WestSide-Narrative1.thumb.jpg.6141394136c0fa1ddbe3dbdc259612eb.jpg

59f38ff3e02b8_North-WestSide-Narrative2.thumb.jpg.686eb83abe0d578e8073633f6779a743.jpg

Nice! So so far, 5 stories, mixed-use with North Peak Brewery on the first floor, Mash on the 2nd (at least part of it) and apartments above.

That'll be great. I hope someone saves the signs. In fact, if someone is lurking on the forum that is connected to the development, I'd love to take them off your hands. Send me a message by clicking on my profile. :)

Joe

I believe Mash is going to be in the basement, floors 2 - 5 residential.  At least, that's what someone said previously back up a page or so ago. 

37 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Yes, but with the open garage door concept and produce bins out at the sidewalk like Meijer is planning, it will be a "food destination" for sure even with Meijer there. Sorry, Bridge Street Market. :)

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Nice scoop!

Also, as speculated, spiral staircase to Mash bar. 

I know I was so sluethy! I emailed the Planning Department and they sent everything right over. :) They didn't have renderings though, yet. 

• Like 1

Call me crazy, but I actually like having all of these Traverse City restaurants only in Traverse City. It gives me something to look forward when going up there. Now it'll be just another place we already have here. But hey...it's progress for the city. Can't complain about that.

7 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Call me crazy, but I actually like having all of these Traverse City restaurants only in Traverse City. It gives me something to look forward when going up there. Now it'll be just another place we already have here. But hey...it's progress for the city. Can't complain about that.

Until Alliance, Trattoria Stella, Frenchie's Famous, or The Cooks house set up shop in GR, there is plenty to look forward to in TC.

• Like 1

According to a friend who moved his/their offices to the West Side on West Fulton recently, apparently there are some "big things" brewing on West Fulton on some of the lesser used parcels in that stretch. 

If I had to guess, I'd say the parcels in the block between Lexington and Gold, which has been on and off the market for years. 

And in doing a little research, 649 Fulton W, the building that houses Ink'd Up Tattoos, and two properties on Gold sold in August 2017 and are now owned by Full of Gold LLC which shows Ryan Ogle of Blue House Properties as the registered agent.

59f5c8a8d7d20_FullofGoldLLC.thumb.jpg.008a2d98276260fe54cf83243da21593.jpg

Ryan bought the buildings that house “One Bourbon” in Bridge so continuing to buy on the west side makes sense. Does the term “brewing” mean anything or are you just using it as an expression? I was just thinking the west side needs another brewery to be announced. :D

Speaking of TC places coming here...are TC restaurants pretty seasonal? I mean, I only go there in the summer...but I don’t ski either. Do you think some of them think a GR location would be more year round?

Edited by mgreven

9 hours ago, mgreven said:

Ryan bought the buildings that house “One Bourbon” in Bridge so continuing to buy on the west side makes sense. Does the term “brewing” mean anything or are you just using it as an expression? I was just thinking the west side needs another brewery to be announced. :D

Speaking of TC places coming here...are TC restaurants pretty seasonal? I mean, I only go there in the summer...but I don’t ski either. Do you think some of them think a GR location would be more year round?

Actually I didn't have any hidden meaning to that. :)  

I think TC restaurants do drop off a bit in business in the winter but not a lot. You should go up in the winter. We stay at Grand Traverse Resort for a weekend every winter, they have awesome deals (especially around New Years).  And TC's winter fest is pretty cool.