New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Whoa, what's with the angled diamondy shaped glass on the corner? Yet the main floor glass goes straight across (you can see the design fighting with itself right above the "cafe" sign. :)

It looks like the design was cobbled together to include a little bit of every element from every rendering for a multi-story building released for review in the GR metro area from the past 5 years.  Maybe the philosophy is to find out what parts a prospective tenant likes and then redesign the rest from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought that was happening here. I applaud their success and  foresight but hate to lose  another retail space on that street. It will be interesting to see how they marry that space with the restaurant downstairs. 

6 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Thought that was happening here. I applaud their success and  foresight but hate to lose  another retail space on that street. It will be interesting to see how they marry that space with the restaurant downstairs. 

I thought I heard that Conscious collective was closing anyway, regardless of whether Sovengard moved in. Death or health problems in the family business or something? 

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I thought I heard that Conscious collective was closing anyway, regardless of whether Sovengard moved in. Death or health problems in the family business or something? 

Yes, she closed to focus on her health. I wasn't implying that Sovengard forced her out, just that the consignment shop next to Denym was such a nice balance. 

On 12/13/2017 at 9:21 AM, thebeerqueer said:

Yes, she closed to focus on her health. I wasn't implying that Sovengard forced her out, just that the consignment shop next to Denym was such a nice balance. 

Ah, true true. I drove through there the other evening and Jolly Pumpkin really seems to be moving along. Any word on when they open? I haven't even really seen them promote their opening??

• Like 1

Ah, true true. I drove through there the other evening and Jolly Pumpkin really seems to be moving along. Any word on when they open? I haven't even really seen them promote their opening??

I haven't heard a word on their opening but will ask around. I noticed on Saturday how much of the building to the South they are going to occupy. It will make that space feel so much larger. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mixed feelings about the upper part of this design, but it's infill on a surface lot!

The application references a new restaurant concept called North Cook Shop, which Carlson and Lobdell are opening in Detroit soon. 

No parking included in this plan. 44 apartments, 30% are income restricted, the rest market rate. 

449 bridge - entire project rendering.JPG

mash + north site plan.jpg

449 bridge - mash + north 2.JPG

27 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

Red Hot Inn and the lot next to it I believe

Red Lion. 

Mixed feelings about the upper part of this design, but it's infill on a surface lot!

The application references a new restaurant concept called North Cook Shop, which Carlson and Lobdell are opening in Detroit soon. 

No parking included in this plan. 44 apartments, 30% are income restricted, the rest market rate. 

449 bridge - entire project rendering.JPG

mash + north site plan.jpg

449 bridge - mash + north 2.JPG

Honestly, these are way better than the renderings that were originally presented to our NA. The first ones had the south facade even darker and no balconies. Additionally, the restaurant loading dock/delivery gate was unblocked and faced Bridge St., they've since covered it with a slatted gate. The no parking waiver is still mind boggling but the developers said they were negotiating with  the city for parking for their tenants in the Dash lot on Winter. 

20 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I'd like to see these panels in person.   Not feeling it from the renders.  Not sure its worse than 616 lofts on Michigan Street,

Overall, I am pretty concerned about the incredible overuse of metal panels as an exterior application on many of the new developments around town.  I am not sure how they will hold up over time.  I believe one of the first uses was Metropolitan Park Apartments on Ionia (photo attached).    I drive/walk by this development multiple times a day as my office close.  These have not held up well at all.  They look pretty weathered and grungy.

metropolitan-park-apartments-grand-rapids-mi-primary-photo.jpg

53 minutes ago, KCLBADave said:

Overall, I am pretty concerned about the incredible overuse of metal panels as an exterior application on many of the new developments around town.  I am not sure how they will hold up over time.  I believe one of the first uses was Metropolitan Park Apartments on Ionia (photo attached).    I drive/walk by this development multiple times a day as my office close.  These have not held up well at all.  They look pretty weathered and grungy.

I'm no fan of metal high rises, but panels hold up as well as the quality of their installation and upkeep. Metro Park Apartments are income restricted, which generally don't stand the test of time in the upkeep department.

With that said...I agree that metal paneling is way over-used in this city. Just an example of how much the developers in this area love value engineering promising projects into mediocrity. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I'm no fan of metal high rises, but panels hold up as well as the quality of their installation and upkeep. Metro Park Apartments are income restricted, which generally don't stand the test of time in the upkeep department.

With that said...I agree that metal paneling is way over-used in this city. Just an example of how much the developers in this area love value engineering promising projects into mediocrity. 

Oh, come on.  That's a new style called scrap yard chic.  :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KCLBADave said:

Seems like it'd be pretty easy to add a "masonry" requirement to the building restrictions/planning requirements for a city like GR. No? I believe several of the townships have them around the GR area, for commercial/retail buildings along the main corridors.  The fact that nearly every new retail/commercial building in Allendale Township (for instance) has brick leads me to believe that they have something in their requirements, because it's not exactly a high rent district. 

Brick on this project would definitely help it fit in with the other buildings on Bridge Street. 

Interesting that the developers are calling the apartments on the Red Lion site "affordable."  $996 for a 1 bedroom is now affordable, eh? 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/01/former_red_lion_site_to_become.html?ath=1a90132b90933db8002100e5723c045a#cmpid=nsltr_strybutton

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Interesting that the developers are calling the apartments on the Red Lion site "affordable."  $996 for a 1 bedroom is now affordable, eh? 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/01/former_red_lion_site_to_become.html?ath=1a90132b90933db8002100e5723c045a#cmpid=nsltr_strybutton

I'm just glad they're not $1,100-1,200. $996 for downtown is a step in the right direction. I pay $870 for my one bedroom suburban apartment. Around $900 seems to be common for anything worth living in.

• Like 1