New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

1 minute ago, demhem said:

It looks like Fratelli's is expanding into Denym's old space. I saw a banner up when I drove by this morning.

What would be particularly amazing is if Fratelli's were to move into Denym's old space and completely out of their old space so that that building could be razed and that it could be combined with the gross parking next to it to build a new mixed-use building there. I used to stare at it wondering if that would ever happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, GVSUChris said:

What would be particularly amazing is if Fratelli's were to move into Denym's old space and completely out of their old space so that that building could be razed and that it could be combined with the gross parking next to it to build a new mixed-use building there. I used to stare at it wondering if that would ever happen. 

Agreed. That parking lot needs to go. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, demhem said:

It looks like Fratelli's is expanding into Denym's old space. I saw a banner up when I drove by this morning.

Be still my heart. I lurv me some Fratelli's pizza. Big ups to Enzo!

Edited by thebeerqueer
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

Okay much better location. I pegged it being the industrial building to the southwest of that on elizabeth. 

You might be right - that's also 540 Leonard and I didn't realize it was all one building.  Because the application says "theater/assembly use" I thought they were taking over the church, but I guess it could be any portion of it.  Obviously, frontage on Leonard would be way more desirable.

I don’t know if this was mentioned before and I missed it, but does anyone what they are building on the back parking lot of St. James church (on Bridge). It’s a pretty large project. Can’t tell if it’s new residential, or if they’re putting an addition on the church? 

Joe

5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I don’t know if this was mentioned before and I missed it, but does anyone what they are building on the back parking lot of St. James church (on Bridge). It’s a pretty large project. Can’t tell if it’s new residential, or if they’re putting an addition on the church? 

Joe

Townhouses I believe. 

Two small things...ice cream shop coming to that tiny building next to Kale's.  Inside is demoed.  I saw "Go Java" menus (15 Ionia) having up in the old Sparrows space?  Are they moving or doing a second location there?

I'll answer my own question after a FB search...

And secondly, we are proud to announce that the Go Java family will be growing in a major way with the opening of our second location on the west side. Introducing Go Java West, located at 442 Bridge St. NW, coming June 2018!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Two small things...ice cream shop coming to that tiny building next to Kale's.  Inside is demoed.  I saw "Go Java" menus (15 Ionia) having up in the old Sparrows space?  Are they moving or doing a second location there?

I'll answer my own question after a FB search...

And secondly, we are proud to announce that the Go Java family will be growing in a major way with the opening of our second location on the west side. Introducing Go Java West, located at 442 Bridge St. NW, coming June 2018!!

Ice cream shop? I thought the Mayan Buzz folks were going to open an ice cream shop in the old 20th century meat market? Same venture or two shops going in on Bridge Street?

Glad to see another coffee shop replacing Sparrows. Don't know anything about their coffee but excited to check it out. 

26 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Ice cream shop? I thought the Mayan Buzz folks were going to open an ice cream shop in the old 20th century meat market? Same venture or two shops going in on Bridge Street?

Glad to see another coffee shop replacing Sparrows. Don't know anything about their coffee but excited to check it out. 

Mayan buzz is opening in the new Meijer on Bridge,  are they doing ice cream too? Not sure how they will all do now that there is increased coffee shop density Bridge and up Stocking.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/03/big_year_for_cafe_owner_after.html

I feel like they will do fine as long as foot traffic, and neighborhood density continues to increase.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but as it stands until the space at the former Sparrow reopens there are no coffee shops on Bridge.  I know Ferris is just a couple blocks away.

2 hours ago, mgreven said:

And Mayan Buzz will be in the Bridge Street Market...that's only two, though.

Well in that general area, Corridor Coffee is just up Stocking, and Roots is just up seward a bit.

Rowers club is close and so is Bitter end.  And not sure where ferris will move to.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I feel like the Bridge St corridor is lacking for completion is the presence of a gym.  Preferably a national chain with brand standards and not the icky Westside one on Leonard.   Does anyone know if there has been any rumblings of this?    I'm about to be able to walk for my groceries.   I would LOVE to walk to the gym.  :tw_heart:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MJLO said:

One thing I feel like the Bridge St corridor is lacking for completion is the presence of a gym.  Preferably a national chain with brand standards and not the icky Westside one on Leonard.   Does anyone know if there has been any rumblings of this?    I'm about to be able to walk for my groceries.   I would LOVE to walk to the gym.  :tw_heart:

I mean, the Hunting YMCA is right there...half a mile from the Meijer development.  I guess the Y is pretty expensive compared to like a Planet Fitness, but its not like the westside is a fitness desert

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

I mean, the Hunting YMCA is right there...half a mile from the Meijer development.  I guess the Y is pretty expensive compared to like a Planet Fitness, but its not like the westside is a fitness desert

The Y is hardly expensive, not for what you get. If someone is truly looking for just weight lifting and some cardio equipment, then I guess it is? I think I pay $100/month for a family membership right now at the Y, and you can use it at any of the Y's. That's hard to beat and way less expensive than the MVP's. 

16 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Y is hardly expensive, not for what you get. If someone is truly looking for just weight lifting and some cardio equipment, then I guess it is? I think I pay $100/month for a family membership right now at the Y, and you can use it at any of the Y's. That's hard to beat and way less expensive than the MVP's. 

The unfortunate thing is, for single people its like $85 for an individual membership but if you want to add a whole brood its only like $15 more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

The unfortunate thing is, for single people its like $85 for an individual membership but if you want to add a whole brood its only like $15 more. 

Depends on age and income.  For me the fact you can use their parking lot within walking distance to Bridge St is an added benefit lol.

• Like 1