GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I don't think he owns it anymore. We briefly looked into it and it sounds like there is a new owner now . 

It sold in a tax auction a couple years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I don't think he owns it anymore. We briefly looked into it and it sounds like there is a new owner now . 

I'm fairly certain the building was owned by Dr App, the father of all the Apps. They put their home up on the hill on Bridge St up for sale (not sure if it has sold yet) as well as property they had off of Plainfield in Creston. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MJLO said:

I wonder if they are working in conjunction with Rockford on this since they are all things West Side.

EDIT:  I have answered my own question.  Yes of course they will be working with Rockford.  Mlive has the address listed as 501 Alabama Ave NW which is behind the 616 lofts on Alabama, and across the st from Rockfords headquarters in that parking lot. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/03/consumers_energy_to_build_20m.html

5aab0ff6eb621_501alabama-ConsumersEnergy.thumb.jpg.a5c4b695e240364d37f47f16d2994f97.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Doh! I completely forgot to mention that this happened.

Yeah, he officially closed down back in late Feb. No mention on Facebook as to why. I'm thinking he just felt time to move on. He's been there for a long time, before 99% of the development you see there today.

I dont think it was for a lack of money as he seemed to be doing really well with renting the space out for receptions and parties, which will be sad to not walk by and see through the big windows in the evening.

I doubt he sold the building. He can make great money as a landlord with that location. Denym is definitely one of those cool stores that I see really doing something unique with this building. Their style and that space are made for each other.

App has been quite invovled in the old  City Water building, curating shows for the last two APs. I haven't checked lately with him, but at the time, it sounded as if this was to be his new space.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm fairly certain the building was owned by Dr App, the father of all the Apps. They put their home up on the hill on Bridge St up for sale (not sure if it has sold yet) as well as property they had off of Plainfield in Creston. 

Currently under contract, hasn't closed yet. That house started around $1.2 Million, it was listed at $550,000 at the time of sale, not sure what the actual price will be. I ubered one of the Apps (not Richard, but his brother) from that house, it is quite the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Currently under contract, hasn't closed yet. That house started around $1.2 Million, it was listed at $550,000 at the time of sale, not sure what the actual price will be. I ubered one of the Apps (not Richard, but his brother) from that house, it is quite the place.

It shows on the county's site that it was "sold to lender" in 2016 for $359,000. Kind of sad how that all went down.  I would've bought the place for $359,000. The greenhouse was in realllly rough shape and probably needs to be torn down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 11:15 AM, mgreven said:

Thought I’d update since I threw out a rumor about the NP project on the Red Lion site. I just saw someone post online that it was dead and got worried, but UP reassured me. As usual, UP was right. :)

The Jolly Pumpkin folks stopped into my wife’s office and told her all about JP and the project across the street so it’s for sure a go. One extra tidbit, the JP/old Black Heron building has a huge basement where they are going to do a tiki inspired place at some point. 

Nice!

This project is on the agenda for the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority for Wednesday.

5ab044e4d679a_mashwestsideproject2.thumb.JPG.6f7ce2de6912d754e502b423c0371141.JPG

 

5ab044e832596_Mashwestsideproject.thumb.JPG.e129ab459e30752038475735bc8b0aa7.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Nice!

This project is on the agenda for the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority for Wednesday.

5ab044e4d679a_mashwestsideproject2.thumb.JPG.6f7ce2de6912d754e502b423c0371141.JPG

 

5ab044e832596_Mashwestsideproject.thumb.JPG.e129ab459e30752038475735bc8b0aa7.JPG

Speaking of "brownfield," what color siding is that? :rofl:  sorry, couldn't resist. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like Fratelli's is expanding into Denym's old space. I saw a banner up when I drove by this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, demhem said:

It looks like Fratelli's is expanding into Denym's old space. I saw a banner up when I drove by this morning.

What would be particularly amazing is if Fratelli's were to move into Denym's old space and completely out of their old space so that that building could be razed and that it could be combined with the gross parking next to it to build a new mixed-use building there. I used to stare at it wondering if that would ever happen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GVSUChris said:

What would be particularly amazing is if Fratelli's were to move into Denym's old space and completely out of their old space so that that building could be razed and that it could be combined with the gross parking next to it to build a new mixed-use building there. I used to stare at it wondering if that would ever happen. 

Agreed. That parking lot needs to go. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, demhem said:

It looks like Fratelli's is expanding into Denym's old space. I saw a banner up when I drove by this morning.

Be still my heart. I lurv me some Fratelli's pizza. Big ups to Enzo!

Edited by thebeerqueer
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

Okay much better location. I pegged it being the industrial building to the southwest of that on elizabeth. 

You might be right - that's also 540 Leonard and I didn't realize it was all one building.  Because the application says "theater/assembly use" I thought they were taking over the church, but I guess it could be any portion of it.  Obviously, frontage on Leonard would be way more desirable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if this was mentioned before and I missed it, but does anyone what they are building on the back parking lot of St. James church (on Bridge). It’s a pretty large project. Can’t tell if it’s new residential, or if they’re putting an addition on the church? 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I don’t know if this was mentioned before and I missed it, but does anyone what they are building on the back parking lot of St. James church (on Bridge). It’s a pretty large project. Can’t tell if it’s new residential, or if they’re putting an addition on the church? 

Joe

Townhouses I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Townhouses I believe. 

That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure. Is this a private development, or part of the church?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 7:09 PM, joeDowntown said:

That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure. Is this a private development, or part of the church?

I believe the housing is targeted towards senior citizens but I could be mistaken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two small things...ice cream shop coming to that tiny building next to Kale's.  Inside is demoed.  I saw "Go Java" menus (15 Ionia) having up in the old Sparrows space?  Are they moving or doing a second location there?

I'll answer my own question after a FB search...

And secondly, we are proud to announce that the Go Java family will be growing in a major way with the opening of our second location on the west side. Introducing Go Java West, located at 442 Bridge St. NW, coming June 2018!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Two small things...ice cream shop coming to that tiny building next to Kale's.  Inside is demoed.  I saw "Go Java" menus (15 Ionia) having up in the old Sparrows space?  Are they moving or doing a second location there?

I'll answer my own question after a FB search...

And secondly, we are proud to announce that the Go Java family will be growing in a major way with the opening of our second location on the west side. Introducing Go Java West, located at 442 Bridge St. NW, coming June 2018!!

Ice cream shop? I thought the Mayan Buzz folks were going to open an ice cream shop in the old 20th century meat market? Same venture or two shops going in on Bridge Street?

 

Glad to see another coffee shop replacing Sparrows. Don't know anything about their coffee but excited to check it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Ice cream shop? I thought the Mayan Buzz folks were going to open an ice cream shop in the old 20th century meat market? Same venture or two shops going in on Bridge Street?

 

Glad to see another coffee shop replacing Sparrows. Don't know anything about their coffee but excited to check it out. 

Mayan buzz is opening in the new Meijer on Bridge,  are they doing ice cream too? Not sure how they will all do now that there is increased coffee shop density Bridge and up Stocking.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/03/big_year_for_cafe_owner_after.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.