GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

I feel like they will do fine as long as foot traffic, and neighborhood density continues to increase.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but as it stands until the space at the former Sparrow reopens there are no coffee shops on Bridge.  I know Ferris is just a couple blocks away.

2 hours ago, mgreven said:

And Mayan Buzz will be in the Bridge Street Market...that's only two, though.

Well in that general area, Corridor Coffee is just up Stocking, and Roots is just up seward a bit.

Rowers club is close and so is Bitter end.  And not sure where ferris will move to.

5 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I believe the housing is targeted towards senior citizens but I could be mistaken. 

I think you are correct and I believe it's low-income/income restricted. Private developer. 

One thing I feel like the Bridge St corridor is lacking for completion is the presence of a gym.  Preferably a national chain with brand standards and not the icky Westside one on Leonard.   Does anyone know if there has been any rumblings of this?    I'm about to be able to walk for my groceries.   I would LOVE to walk to the gym.  :tw_heart:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MJLO said:

One thing I feel like the Bridge St corridor is lacking for completion is the presence of a gym.  Preferably a national chain with brand standards and not the icky Westside one on Leonard.   Does anyone know if there has been any rumblings of this?    I'm about to be able to walk for my groceries.   I would LOVE to walk to the gym.  :tw_heart:

I mean, the Hunting YMCA is right there...half a mile from the Meijer development.  I guess the Y is pretty expensive compared to like a Planet Fitness, but its not like the westside is a fitness desert

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

I mean, the Hunting YMCA is right there...half a mile from the Meijer development.  I guess the Y is pretty expensive compared to like a Planet Fitness, but its not like the westside is a fitness desert

The Y is hardly expensive, not for what you get. If someone is truly looking for just weight lifting and some cardio equipment, then I guess it is? I think I pay $100/month for a family membership right now at the Y, and you can use it at any of the Y's. That's hard to beat and way less expensive than the MVP's. 

16 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Y is hardly expensive, not for what you get. If someone is truly looking for just weight lifting and some cardio equipment, then I guess it is? I think I pay $100/month for a family membership right now at the Y, and you can use it at any of the Y's. That's hard to beat and way less expensive than the MVP's. 

The unfortunate thing is, for single people its like $85 for an individual membership but if you want to add a whole brood its only like $15 more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

The unfortunate thing is, for single people its like $85 for an individual membership but if you want to add a whole brood its only like $15 more. 

Depends on age and income.  For me the fact you can use their parking lot within walking distance to Bridge St is an added benefit lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Right, the amenities are great giving the membership great value, especially compared to MVP as you note, but for somebody just looking for a "gym membership", it is far more expensive than the $10/month for Planet Fitness and other similar outfits. 

3 hours ago, discgrab21 said:

The Y is dead to me.  It's overcrowded and used to be super creepy in the locker rooms although I've heard they've changed that.   I can pay less than half what it costs to work out at the Y at a national brand and they are usually everywhere I have to go for work.   I think Bridge St. would be the perfect corridor for a PF,  Snap, or Anytime Fitness.  I think it would even be good to see one of the trendy boot camp style gyms go in there.  

Somewhat off topic but anyone a member of the Kroc Center? Comparison to the Y? Thinking of joining  as it is $38 a month vs the Y's $85.

1 hour ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

Somewhat off topic but anyone a member of the Kroc Center? Comparison to the Y? Thinking of joining  as it is $38 a month vs the Y's $85.

Not familiar with the Y to give a comparison, but we've been Kroc members for the past ~5 years. The facility is very good, and the equipment seems nice (I'm not informed enough to be a good judge).

That rendering at least looks a little less drab than the ones we've seen previously.

dnbuilding.jpg

18 hours ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

You may want to research the Salvation Army and its stance on gays. Of course, if you don't care about gay people, then it might not matter to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That rendering at least looks a little less drab than the ones we've seen previously.

dnbuilding.jpg

You may want to research the Salvation Army and its stance on gays. Of course, if you don't care about gay people, then it might not matter to you. 

Well, I care about gay rights.... After doing some googling, The Kroc Center will not be getting my $$$.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

Well, I care about gay rights.... After doing some googling, The Kroc Center will not be getting my $$$.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 9:02 PM, GRDadof3 said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Every time I see this graphic I think of Late Night with Conan O'Brien and the old spoof PSA's. I miss the 90's.

• Like 1

At first I was excited because this can become super dense and affordable small unit housing + apartments with a BRT line servicing it.

Then I saw the sea of cul-de-sacs around it, and know that "my precious wetlands" and "my way of life" NIMBYS are already practicing their cliches.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

At first I was excited because this can become super dense and affordable small unit housing + apartments with a BRT line servicing it.

Then I saw the sea of cul-de-sacs around it, and know that "my precious wetlands" and "my way of life" NIMBYS are already practicing their cliches.

Would be nice to see development along Lake Michigan Dr that isn't a sea of strip malls and strictly single family LDR, but most likely will end up being single family, 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, and cul-de-sacs a plenty.

Edited by Pattmost20

31 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Would be nice to see development along Lake Michigan Dr that isn't a sea of strip malls and strictly single family LDR, but most likely will end up being single family, 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, and cul-de-sacs a plenty.

I think we’ll see a good mix pop up. There’s a lot of commercial space in Standale that is ripe for re-development with more density. I would love to see that area build a master plan for development around the BRT lines.

I know someone that is putting up a pretty decent sized mix of single family and commercial out in the standale area. I asked him if he was excited about the Lakers Line and he had no clue what I was talking about. He was really enthusiastic when I showed him the plans (and places for redevelopment). He’s a smart guy, but I was pretty amazed that he didn’t know anything about it (and he has a lot of skin in the game).

I hope some municipality is thinking ahead out there. I think the Laker Line could be a pretty big catalyst for growth.  

Joe

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think we’ll see a good mix pop up. There’s a lot of commercial space in Standale that is ripe for re-development with more density. I would love to see that area build a master plan for development around the BRT lines.

I know someone that is putting up a pretty decent sized mix of single family and commercial out in the standale area. I asked him if he was excited about the Lakers Line and he had no clue what I was talking about. He was really enthusiastic when I showed him the plans (and places for redevelopment). He’s a smart guy, but I was pretty amazed that he didn’t know anything about it (and he has a lot of skin in the game).

I hope some municipality is thinking ahead out there. I think the Laker Line could be a pretty big catalyst for growth.  

Joe

I would love to see it developed to its full potential. I definitely think stand alone houses could be a part of the mix, but I'm just imagining how much they could tailor it to both Seniors and College students with access to the Laker Line running right by there.

• Like 1