New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Y is hardly expensive, not for what you get. If someone is truly looking for just weight lifting and some cardio equipment, then I guess it is? I think I pay $100/month for a family membership right now at the Y, and you can use it at any of the Y's. That's hard to beat and way less expensive than the MVP's. 

Right, the amenities are great giving the membership great value, especially compared to MVP as you note, but for somebody just looking for a "gym membership", it is far more expensive than the $10/month for Planet Fitness and other similar outfits. 

3 hours ago, discgrab21 said:

I mean, the Hunting YMCA is right there...half a mile from the Meijer development.  I guess the Y is pretty expensive compared to like a Planet Fitness, but its not like the westside is a fitness desert

The Y is dead to me.  It's overcrowded and used to be super creepy in the locker rooms although I've heard they've changed that.   I can pay less than half what it costs to work out at the Y at a national brand and they are usually everywhere I have to go for work.   I think Bridge St. would be the perfect corridor for a PF,  Snap, or Anytime Fitness.  I think it would even be good to see one of the trendy boot camp style gyms go in there.  

1 hour ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

Somewhat off topic but anyone a member of the Kroc Center? Comparison to the Y? Thinking of joining  as it is $38 a month vs the Y's $85.

Not familiar with the Y to give a comparison, but we've been Kroc members for the past ~5 years. The facility is very good, and the equipment seems nice (I'm not informed enough to be a good judge).

That rendering at least looks a little less drab than the ones we've seen previously.

dnbuilding.jpg

18 hours ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

Somewhat off topic but anyone a member of the Kroc Center? Comparison to the Y? Thinking of joining  as it is $38 a month vs the Y's $85.

You may want to research the Salvation Army and its stance on gays. Of course, if you don't care about gay people, then it might not matter to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That rendering at least looks a little less drab than the ones we've seen previously.

dnbuilding.jpg

You may want to research the Salvation Army and its stance on gays. Of course, if you don't care about gay people, then it might not matter to you. 

Well, I care about gay rights.... After doing some googling, The Kroc Center will not be getting my $$$.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

At first I was excited because this can become super dense and affordable small unit housing + apartments with a BRT line servicing it.

Then I saw the sea of cul-de-sacs around it, and know that "my precious wetlands" and "my way of life" NIMBYS are already practicing their cliches.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

At first I was excited because this can become super dense and affordable small unit housing + apartments with a BRT line servicing it.

Then I saw the sea of cul-de-sacs around it, and know that "my precious wetlands" and "my way of life" NIMBYS are already practicing their cliches.

Would be nice to see development along Lake Michigan Dr that isn't a sea of strip malls and strictly single family LDR, but most likely will end up being single family, 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, and cul-de-sacs a plenty.

Edited by Pattmost20

31 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Would be nice to see development along Lake Michigan Dr that isn't a sea of strip malls and strictly single family LDR, but most likely will end up being single family, 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, and cul-de-sacs a plenty.

I think we’ll see a good mix pop up. There’s a lot of commercial space in Standale that is ripe for re-development with more density. I would love to see that area build a master plan for development around the BRT lines.

I know someone that is putting up a pretty decent sized mix of single family and commercial out in the standale area. I asked him if he was excited about the Lakers Line and he had no clue what I was talking about. He was really enthusiastic when I showed him the plans (and places for redevelopment). He’s a smart guy, but I was pretty amazed that he didn’t know anything about it (and he has a lot of skin in the game).

I hope some municipality is thinking ahead out there. I think the Laker Line could be a pretty big catalyst for growth.  

Joe

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think we’ll see a good mix pop up. There’s a lot of commercial space in Standale that is ripe for re-development with more density. I would love to see that area build a master plan for development around the BRT lines.

I know someone that is putting up a pretty decent sized mix of single family and commercial out in the standale area. I asked him if he was excited about the Lakers Line and he had no clue what I was talking about. He was really enthusiastic when I showed him the plans (and places for redevelopment). He’s a smart guy, but I was pretty amazed that he didn’t know anything about it (and he has a lot of skin in the game).

I hope some municipality is thinking ahead out there. I think the Laker Line could be a pretty big catalyst for growth.  

Joe

I would love to see it developed to its full potential. I definitely think stand alone houses could be a part of the mix, but I'm just imagining how much they could tailor it to both Seniors and College students with access to the Laker Line running right by there.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

It'll never sell at that price. 

Dunno, there’s probably enough meat on that bone to get close.

$30-40k/single family site would do it.

18 minutes ago, SupercityGR said:

I would like to see 105 acres of townhomes and low to mid rises. A sea of 2 to 5 story buildings 

Lol. 

This parcel reeks of suburbia. No way it turns into a sea of 2 to 5 story buildings.

But that does beg the question. This parcel, where it is, current economy...what’s the best use?

I’d love to hear opinions from folks on UP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, localtalent said:

Dunno, there’s probably enough meat on that bone to get close.

$30-40k/single family site would do it.

I don't know what that means. :) The commercial portions out by LMD might go for that but you can't develop single family homes on raw land that is $48,000/acre. 

Isn't The Rapid/Laker Line still looking for a space to fit a large commuter lot for the Laker Line? Maybe that could be tucked in the back with some mixed use buildings out front?

On 6/23/2018 at 8:40 AM, GRDadof3 said:

dnbuilding.jpg

Construction fencing is up around the site and the sidewalk is blocked off . I would imagine we'll see some site work beginning soon. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 10:10 AM, thebeerqueer said:

Isn't The Rapid/Laker Line still looking for a space to fit a large commuter lot for the Laker Line? Maybe that could be tucked in the back with some mixed use buildings out front?

I think they have that land East of there locked up now, behind the retirement home. 

There's a gigantic parcel of land surrounding Meijer slated for mixed-use, which I think is a better location than Lincoln CC, and it's been for sale/vacant for a really long time. 

I think it will be split up and made into commercial along LMD and apartments in the back, which heaven knows I don't think that area of Walker/Standale needs any more apartments. It's becoming a mini-Rentwood. 

• 2 weeks later...

The mixed-use building located at 1220 West Fulton (near Valley and Fulton) is being completely remodeled and its storefront restored with floor to ceiling glass. I'll try to post pictures of it this evening. Does anyone have any idea what may be going in there? 

3 hours ago, demhem said:

The mixed-use building located at 1220 West Fulton (near Valley and Fulton) is being completely remodeled and its storefront restored with floor to ceiling glass. I'll try to post pictures of it this evening. Does anyone have any idea what may be going in there? 

Hmm, I haven't heard anything but maybe Vinny's is renovating in preparation for the Laker Line. I'll ask around if anyone knows. 

• Like 1