New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

10 hours ago, iK1NkY said:

Being right above a grocery store/pharmacy, it'd be perfect for anyone looking to go car free. 

I would think that living in a city of Grand Rapids' size car-free would start to feel a bit insular... Do you only have friends along the bus line? Work, grocery shop, recreate, only within walking distance? 

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I would think that living in a city of Grand Rapids' size car-free would start to feel a bit insular... Do you only have friends along the bus line? Work, grocery shop, recreate, only within walking distance? 

True but I think the savings of living car free may free up funds to use ride sharing more frequently for things that take you out of your neighborhood or places the bus doesn't reach. 

• Like 1

It’s certainly a millennial thing especially outside of Michigan where they are less of a car culture, kids don’t even care to get a license in the day of uber and why have a car payment along with insurance, maintanence and paying for parking? That can add up and be more costly than a monthly uber expense if you walk to work and everywhere you shop and hang out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GR8scott said:

It’s certainly a millennial thing especially outside of Michigan where they are less of a car culture, kids don’t even care to get a license in the day of uber and why have a car payment along with insurance, maintanence and paying for parking? That can add up and be more costly than a monthly uber expense if you walk to work and everywhere you shop and hang out

Honestly if you are Ubering just a couple miles to work everyday, it can be close to, if not less than, a car payment, insurance, repairs, and gas.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I have multiple friends in GR that either share one car (as a couple) or don't have a car at all. In one instance they put all of the money they would have spent on a second a car into paying down student loans. 

Edited by demhem
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

True but I think the savings of living car free may free up funds to use ride sharing more frequently for things that take you out of your neighborhood or places the bus doesn't reach. 

Maybe, but I'm starting to feel like there's a "bubble" of thought going on in GR and I'm wondering if it's because more and more millennials are never interacting with people outside of their uber zone/bus zone. i.e. they are now exhibiting the same traits that they deride in suburbanites.

How many millennials in the city of Grand Rapids know even one Middle Eastern family?  Even if you live in Hudsonville you have Middle Eastern and Asian neighbors most likely. 

We need Zipcar, or another car rental service, in Grand Rapids, if you go carless, for those trips that are not on the bus line, or even a day at the beach.    I know several people that don't have cars, and ride around on scooters, motorcycles, and mopeds, which is another alternative, than a bicycle or bus.... In a ramp or parking lot, like at GRCC, there are spots where cars will not fit, like inside corner places, or odd spots, that could be utiliticised. If you look at other congested cities, like San Francisco, NYC,  and oversea's, they are a big part of the urban scene.  There are at least 4 places where scooters, motorcycles, and mopeds can park free in the downtown area.

Edited by Morris

13 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

Are you really trying to suggest that towns like Hudsonville are more diverse than Grand Rapids? The bus route isn't just downtown.

I'd like to add the real bubble is living in your car every day and not taking public transport and interating with said neighbors. Choosing to live, work and have fun in the city has nothing do to with traits from subrbanites. 

Absolutely I'm saying that the suburbs of GR are more diverse (and less segregated) than the city of GR. Would you like the data? :)

• Like 1

That is an interesting fact, I would actually like to see that.

I am not saying that GR isn't segregated, I am saying not owning a car does not limit you, it actually helps you interact with more diverse people. The public transit routes go through multiple cities and verious neighborhoods helping to connect people of all walks of life.

20 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

That is an interesting fact, I would actually like to see that.

I am not saying that GR isn't segregated, I am saying not owning a car does not limit you, it actually helps you interact with more diverse people. The public transit routes go through multiple cities and verious neighborhoods helping to connect people of all walks of life.

Yeah and all those people are all getting along swimmingly and having a big kumbaya together. :rofl:  I've been on the bus, many times. I've also ridden subways and trains in big cities, many times. People are mostly tolerating one another and can't wait for their stop so they can get off. 

11 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yeah and all those people are all getting along swimmingly and having a big kumbaya together. :rofl:  I've been on the bus, many times. I've also ridden subways and trains in big cities, many times. People are mostly tolerating one another and can't wait for their stop so they can get off. 

We are going massively off topic here so I will just end it with this. 

I ride the bus everyday to work and I can guarantee there is more diversity on that bus than there is in people who drive to work by themselevs. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

We are going massively off topic here so I will just end it with this. 

I ride the bus everyday to work and I can guarantee there is more diversity on that bus than there is in people who drive to work by themselevs. 

:huh:  People who drive by themselves.... there is obviously less diversity. One person = one culture, color, etc..  

If you're saying that the bus users in metro GR are more diverse than the metro GR population who own/operate a motor vehicle, I'd say you're mistaken.  Get out of your shell and go drive around Kentwood and Wyoming for a while. Go visit Kentwood High School. Or Wyoming Godfrey Lee. Go volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. Doesn't look anything like Midtown/Eastown/Wealthy Street/East Hills/East Grand Rapids. It doesn't matter if the bus line you ride picks up in Kentwood and travels through GR. It's not the real representation of people who live in Kentwood (most Middle Eastern and Asian people I've met will not ride the bus).  And my guess is you never talk to those people anyway. :) Whatevs, moving on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

So how about the west side (subtly changes topic)? :)

There were a ton of people milling around bridge and Fulton this evening. Was there an event? Meijer sneak peak? MCAT openhouse? 

Also, has anyone seen Better renderings of the Consumers Ppwrr building? Is it starting soon?

Joe

I know GVSU is doing some kind of neighborhood event this week...maybe that was part of it? 

I too am eager to see some designs for the Consumers Energy HQ. I think it'll be cool infill off the main street and continue this trend of more 24/7 uses to this neighborhood. It's also looking like the ICCF/Rockford building site on Stocking is getting prepped. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

So how about the west side (subtly changes topic)? :)

There were a ton of people milling around bridge and Fulton this evening. Was there an event? Meijer sneak peak? MCAT openhouse? 

Also, has anyone seen Better renderings of the Consumers Ppwrr building? Is it starting soon?

Joe

I know the Bridge St Market is hosting sneak peeks this week.  So maybe that ??

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I know GVSU is doing some kind of neighborhood event this week...maybe that was part of it? 

Good call. I can't remember exactly when that was supposed to happen but it was around the start of the semester.  Like a 'Get to know the Westside' event. 

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Absolutely I'm saying that the suburbs of GR are more diverse (and less segregated) than the city of GR. Would you like the data? :)

Really the only racial group that is more strongly represented in Kentwood and Wyoming than the Uptown neighborhoods is the Asian population. The GR "Bubble" isn't as segregated as you think. Also Georgtown/Hudsonville is still ~97% white.

Edit: All data is US Census Data.

Demographics.PNG

Edited by Pattmost20
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

Really the only racial group that is more strongly represented in Kentwood and Wyoming than the Uptown neighborhoods is the Asian population. The GR "Bubble" isn't as segregated as you think. Also Georgtown/Hudsonville is still ~97% white.

Edit: All data is US Census Data.

Demographics.PNG

What year is your data from?   The most recent census data I can find puts the city of Wyoming a 7% AA ,  20.9% Latino, and 65% NWH

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/wyomingcitymichigan/PST045217

11 hours ago, ZAP! said:

Can we not disparage the detached millennials for electing to save money and ride public transit please? Last I checked, this isn't MLive.

Exactly.  There are enough other good reasons to disparage millennials already.  But I should validate the millennials here by noting that they are all special and wonderful people and we’ve got participation ribbons for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MJLO said:

What year is your data from?   The most recent census data I can find puts the city of Wyoming a 7% AA ,  20.9% Latino, and 65% NWH

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/wyomingcitymichigan/PST045217

Apologies, I accidentally pulled 2000 data for Wyoming, 2010 is more in line with your numbers. I do believe the inner-suburbs are trending towards becoming more diverse, while parts of GR are becoming less so.

2 minutes ago, wingbert said:

But I should validate the millennials here by noting that they are all special and wonderful people and we’ve got participation ribbons for everyone.

Oh man, haven't heard that one before...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Speaking of the West Side...

Here's a really great link from The Hendrik that really shows off not only the scale of the project (and how nice it is looking) but also all the developable land around it. The last frame is really beautiful with the center city in the background. 

That whole off topic discussion was my fault. Nice video!