New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

3 hours ago, MJLO said:

Ahh ok, so they are basically utilizing the existing structure.  I imagine there won't be a lot of modifications to the property based on what I see. 

Yeah, it's a wasted opportunity to add to the streetscape by leaving this as basically the same cold dead and featureless industrial box that it is now.

Honestly how enjoyable will it be to be there if you cant even see outside?

Edited by GR_Urbanist

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Yeah, it's a wasted opportunity to add to the streetscape by leaving this as basically the same cold dead and featureless industrial box that it is now.

Honestly how enjoyable will it be to be there if you cant even see outside?

When I look at the site plan, it looks like a lot of windows are going to be added for the classroom space, and the areas where there aren't a lot of windows are "Industry Partnering and Student Project" spaces. ie, somewhat like Geek Group where it's going to be a lot of industrial-level experimentation.  ie let's test the strength of a steel I-beam. 

I think it's great, GVSU's campus is becoming huge downtown. And who says that GVSU won't do something completely different down the road. I actually wish they were leaving the coffee shop. 

16 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I've use this gas stations since its near my home. I would have to say that the clerks their are nice. But given its decrepit state, it would be very nice to see the gas station replaced with something better. So I am very much looking forward to this coming to fruition. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

When I look at the site plan, it looks like a lot of windows are going to be added for the classroom space, and the areas where there aren't a lot of windows are "Industry Partnering and Student Project" spaces. ie, somewhat like Geek Group where it's going to be a lot of industrial-level experimentation.  ie let's test the strength of a steel I-beam. 

I think it's great, GVSU's campus is becoming huge downtown. And who says that GVSU won't do something completely different down the road. I actually wish they were leaving the coffee shop. 

The coffee shop is staying but the gift/candy/nuts shop is moving. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

The coffee shop is staying but the gift/candy/nuts shop is moving. 

Oh that's cool. It's always pretty busy. 

Anyone know when the other apartment building is going to start at the Meijer project? (shown in the Meijer gas station pictured above)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the status of the proposed Consumers Energy office?  They have put of temporary plastic orange fencing around portions of the 501 Alabama property.  Currently they are replacing the side walk along  the Alabama side of the property.   I'm not sure that I remember a side walk being replaced before they were to start work on a project like that.  Usually it seems things like sidewalks  are some of the last details finished in these types of projects, though I can't say that I've ever payed close attention.    There hasn't been much information since this was initially announced in March, has it stalled?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MJLO said:

Does anyone know the status of the proposed Consumers Energy office?  They have put of temporary plastic orange fencing around portions of the 501 Alabama property.  Currently they are replacing the side walk along  the Alabama side of the property.   I'm not sure that I remember a side walk being replaced before they were to start work on a project like that.  Usually it seems things like sidewalks  are some of the last details finished in these types of projects, though I can't say that I've ever payed close attention.    There hasn't been much information since this was initially announced in March, has it stalled?

Article says ground-breaking later in 2019 with a 2020 completion:

https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/03/consumers_energy_to_build_20m.html

In my experience working with Consumers on the construction side, add 3 - 6 months to the schedule. :)

38 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

I remember someone from ICCF telling me about this project back in April of 2016. I posted about it online and someone else higher up at ICCF was not thrilled their employee had leaked the news. Anyway, I think it looks nice and will really complete the new development on that block.

7 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I remember someone from ICCF telling me about this project back in April of 2016. I posted about it online and someone else higher up at ICCF was not thrilled their employee had leaked the news. Anyway, I think it looks nice and will really complete the new development on that block.

I remember presentations to the NA back in 2016 and now its exciting to finally see it come to fruition. One of the exciting aspects of this project is the variation in bedrooms of the affordable housing apartments usually you see studios and one bedrooms, maybe the occasional two bedroom place but the addition of three bedroom units will be fantastic. I seem to recall a presentation from ICCF where they stated they already had a waiting list hundreds of applicants long. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Yes it's in the Challenge Scholars Zone I believe (GRCF). Not surprising. 

I really like the looks of them! 8/10

I have only heard good things about the ICCF so lets hope they look as good as they do on paper. 

I believe ICCF is doing the old eastern elementary school as well. Glad they saved that building from falling to shambles. Nature and no maintenance gets to a building realllly quickly.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mpchicago said:

....And can someone ask the crappy Dollar General across the street (on Stockbridge) to clean up their act and put some plate glass windows in?!?!   Oh, that's right, nobody can tell Dollar General what to do.  Please continue with your crappiness. 

Its not just their lack of windows, the parking lot always, and I mean  ALWAYS, is littered with garbage. How is it that discount dollar stores can get away with all the shadiness? The one on Fulton ordered in beer/wine/liquor before their SLU was approved and had to return it all. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Its not just their lack of windows, the parking lot always, and I mean  ALWAYS, is littered with garbage. How is it that discount dollar stores can get away with all the shadiness? The one on Fulton ordered in beer/wine/liquor before their SLU was approved and had to return it all. 

Saw that DG has an new urban concept called DGX that appears to put a little more value into aesthetics.  Probably way too soon for this one to be converted/upgraded...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-31/rural-america-s-favorite-store-is-moving-into-the-big-city

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Onekama said:

Saw that DG has an new urban concept called DGX that appears to put a little more value into aesthetics.  Probably way too soon for this one to be converted/upgraded...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-31/rural-america-s-favorite-store-is-moving-into-the-big-city

"millennial-focused urban concept" *eye roll*

I'm all for them classing it up a bit, I just still don't see myself ever shopping there. Not as long as Aldi exists.

• Like 2

This is nice little project on the Northwest side on 4th Street just less than a block off of Stocking. Another renovation of a church into residential, 13 apartments. I like the addition and how it's not a far stray from the original church. And I like the "international" style wraparound windows on it. 

494073973_4thstreetcurrent.thumb.JPG.dcaae8edcc7bd23bae05c48d8205e67e.JPG

444195567_4thstreetwatercolor2.thumb.JPG.d116b821f8b63ef6215751727443ee10.JPG832989691_4thstreetwatercolor3.thumb.JPG.7f0e2d7621b149c2c8a1abde77f10a63.JPG

611095360_4thstreetwatercolor1.thumb.JPG.089e7ff1e17a4aef7478ef161effb5da.JPG

760648695_4thstreetelevations.thumb.JPG.4b751cc2c54e5962044fff1cf509021c.JPG

1958410480_4thstreetapartmentsfloorplans.thumb.JPG.f72b53c11001bc3e20431a04790c33a9.JPG

663860404_4thstreetapartmentssite.thumb.JPG.0ab418bc8e5198a2648fba8b7c49c5f0.JPG

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

That’s really cool. love the old building, amazed that I don’t recognize it. Looks like a great development!

Joe

I think I have only driven past it once in person, but I had seen it for sale on the commercial real estate listings. Glad someone picked it up, if I recall it was being offered at a fair price.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...