GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

. . . This is an urban  test "center" so to speak where they can experiment with and test solar panels, batteries, inverters, "dead face" switch gear and new technology to bury power cables. 

I'm not too familiar with electrical engineering terms and Google is failing me here.  Is "dead face" essentially the same as "dead front," in that it refers to some kind of interface that keeps the operator from being electrocuted? 

Well I'm a civil engineer so electrical terms are foreign to me  to me so he may have used  "dead face" lol. But yes, when some one opens the front they can't touch anything that can electrocute them.  I guessing it is set up so you can maintain them w/o being exposed to hot items. it sounded like dead face is the future of switch gear with the live face the current standard technology.  I didn't mention before but they said (and had photos) they installed some experimental vaults to put underground some of the infrastructure that is normally above ground even with the power lines under ground.  The location of their new building was chosen so the engineers are literally steps away from  the "laboratory" and the demonstration projects. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2018 at 9:24 AM, GRDadof3 said:

You're right, not sure what I was thinking. Salt box turned sideways. :)

The St James School project is moving right along. This is a block off of Bridge St to the North, behind St James Church. New townhouses and the school being converted into housing.

20181210_101526.thumb.jpg.b0463faa6c77a05f5d77c352387faf34.jpg

This school renovation project is getting a solar roof. Part of the Circuit West project? 

Hmmm, I don't remember that from the original plans, could be a part of the Circuit West. 

Sidebar though, the school renovation/conversion project has turned out quite nice. The south facing side has massive windows to soak up all of that Michigan sunshine. 

WOOD-TV story has several interior shots of the St. James Apartments and Townhomes - https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/catholic-school-turned-affordable-housing-opens-in-gr/1796251171

Article says the building is complete and includes some interesting tidbits ("Developers say the affordable housing community is the first in Grand Rapids to have a solar panel on the rooftop.")

I really thought a portion of this project was to include senior housing but the story doesn't mention that. Let me see if I can do some digging.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:00 PM, Floyd_Z said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but the Harrison Park apartments on Alpine topped out on their stairwells and it looks like its going to be a pretty good sized building.  Sorry no pics.

517FAEA8-5EC0-402C-909A-5721C11CF9B7.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Ralph’s is remodeling, is it me or didn’t this just happen in the last two years...?

They only remodeled the outside before.  Now they are expanding into the space next door as well, but it does seem that they had to replace parts of what they remodeled on the outside.

I was 'almost' as excited when I heard they were going to replace that gas station as the Bridge St Meijer itself.  That gas station was one of those that made you feel like you needed a shower if you had to go in. 

On another note, the Pine School on Leonard (and Pine) is fenced in and getting ready to be bulldozed very shortly.