New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

And...JGR Real Estate is underway at 600 Bridge.  Week one of demo is done - I went yesterday and it looks much better!  The awning is down now, too.  =) Most likely the move in is early June.  The tin ceiling is mostly in tact...but not as cool as The Black Heron's wood trusses. =)  That's sweet!

Edited by mgreven
  • Like 1

And...JGR Real Estate is underway at 600 Bridge.  Week one of demo is done - I went yesterday and it looks much better!  The awning is down now, too.  =) Most likely the move in is early June.  The tin ceiling is mostly in tact...but not as cool as The Black Heron's wood trusses. =)  That's sweet!

Is JGR using both floors?

There's a new mixed use project being proposed on parcels 9 through 39 Lexington Ave SW, 7 multiple family dwelling units and a 2 story parking garage. No renderings in the PC agenda packet but I'll keep an eye out for the full agenda.

attachicon.gif9 Lexington - Rockford Mixed Use.JPG

Edit: this also includes 616 West Fulton and 30 Lexington, the large triangle piece of land that was created when the Seward extension was put in. They're requesting a waiver for parking requirements and a mixed use project with rooftop deck.

attachicon.gifLexington and West Fulton Project.JPG

I don't think this is a secret or anything, but demolition of the old auto garage will begin in a couple of weeks to make way for this project. Rockford will have this, Alabama and New Holland all going at once. Exciting times for the West Side. 

So are the units on parcels from 9 through 39 coming down too?

Yes, there will be a ramp and townhouses built there. There's an entire thread on it that I couldn't find earlier:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116840-fulton-lexington-seward-project-west-side/?hl=%2Bfulton+%2Bseward#entry1338658

Is JGR using both floors?

The upstairs is a huge studio apartment that was remodeled in 2000.  It's really nice. She thinks she'll need to expand up there within a year since every space is accounted for downstairs but may rent it out month to month in the meantime.  No work really needed up there except to add desks/etc.  Eventually the kitchen and extra bathroom would become offices when that space is needed.

Commenting on the Lexington and Seward projects, since the west side is really picking up steam, I wonder if the Padnos scrap yards just a few blocks away and closer to GVSU's expansion would ever re-locate out of the neighborhood?

Probably all comes down to $$$ but it certainly would be a neighborhood improvement with GVSU and the river so close.

• Like 1

Commenting on the Lexington and Seward projects, since the west side is really picking up steam, I wonder if the Padnos scrap yards just a few blocks away and closer to GVSU's expansion would ever re-locate out of the neighborhood?

Probably all comes down to $$$ but it certainly would be a neighborhood improvement with GVSU and the river so close.

I would think that many of the properties along the river would be the first to go rather than padnos.

Some of the properties have recently changed hands and i know some of the owners are sitting waiting for the sale.

I would expect GVSU to buy along the river and then build out into the neighborhood after that.

Where is building B located?

And how far along is this? Still speculative or is it moving forward?

Joe

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116840-new-projects-on-the-west-side/?p=1338468

Going through Brownfield process right now. Based on the detail of the package and of the drawings, I'd say it's almost fully cooked. 

Nice renderings. I think the development has a lot of potential. As others have mentioned on previous pages, there are a few potential tweaks that could take the project to the next level but it looks like the layout has been designed to accommodate future phased development. Reflecting "Building B" across the street where a parking lot is planned, for instance, would make living and working there more appealing IMO.

I don't know if the parking garage ramp could be squeezed on the north side of the garage, but if so it would free up additional space for the row housing to be extended to the south. It will be interesting to hear what Gold Ave residents feel about the garage backing up to the alley; a concrete wall along an alley is bound to attract some hooligans (although it's not as attractive as an old Press building  :)  ).

Was Lexington ever connected to Seward? Having another outlet from the development would bring a nice balance to the site. Happy to see pedestrian flow was considered, though.

As always the quality of the building materials will have a big impact on the success of the project.

Was Lexington ever connected to Seward? Having another outlet from the development would bring a nice balance to the site. Happy to see pedestrian flow was considered, though.

No, but kind of.  Lexington used to continue down to where Seward ends, and Seward used to end early.  Seward was recently extended to curve onto Lexington's ROW.  This was to connect Seward, an minor arterial, with Butterworth, a minor arterial, without traffic having to navigate quiet residential streets to get from one to the other, and to streamline traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.961759,-85.683802,3a,75y,15.38h,70.5t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suD3oZIf5XEPNCFI06THtZQ!2e0 

Edited by tSlater
  • Like 1