New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

No, but I know people who are very intimately involved, and they haven't heard anything.

Guess it depends on who you know. 

But back to the original, that blog reminds me of the old GRIID, MediaMouse, Bloom Collective type of writing. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Sovengard.

Beer garden, restaurant.  Locally focused and built out of shipping containers.

Any Idea where this would go in?

Looks like the are crowd funding soon.

https://www.facebook.com/thesovengard

http://www.sovengard.com

I'm guessing it's on the West Side, since its FB page "likes" the Black Heron and Harmony Hall. Maybe 603 or 605 Bridge Street (or a combination of two of those vacant buildings)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.970654,-85.68285,3a,75y,328.79h,88.94t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sf48R4X9mBgGhlqUklzKY1Q!2e0

There are several clues in the video too...

I'm guessing it's on the West Side, since its FB page "likes" the Black Heron and Harmony Hall. Maybe 603 or 605 Bridge Street (or a combination of two of those vacant buildings)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.970654,-85.68285,3a,75y,328.79h,88.94t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sf48R4X9mBgGhlqUklzKY1Q!2e0

But the plan looks like it has a large out door element.  Would that be the vacant lot behind?  Can they use all that space and the alley?

But the plan looks like it has a large out door element.  Would that be the vacant lot behind?  Can they use all that space and the alley?

Not to take away their element of surprise, lol, but I'd bet my last dollar that it's 603 and 605 Bridge St. The property lines run back quite a ways behind the buildings into the alleyway. 

Also, if you pause the video at the floorplan, it's definitely two buildings tied together, one (the lower one) deeper than the other. And a building in the bottom right corner in the video has an angled wall, just like the old tattoo parlor on the corner does in the aerial you can see.

17896421835_62c1ce88b4_b.jpg

That's my wife's new view from 600 Bridge...603 and 605 Bridge.  Not too nice of a view now but...someday...

I'm pretty sure this is going below and behind Denym and Cooperative Collective.  We were shopping at CC a few weeks ago and there were some people showing family members the basement and outdoor space and that was their concept.

An update on 600 Bridge...JGR Real Estate (my wife's company) is moved in!  Things have turned out well.  I'll share some photos once the boxes are unpacked - kinda hard to move right at the height of the spring real estate market.   :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

That's my wife's new view from 600 Bridge...603 and 605 Bridge.  Not too nice of a view now but...someday...

I'm pretty sure this is going below and behind Denym and Cooperative Collective.  We were shopping at CC a few weeks ago and there were some people showing family members the basement and outdoor space and that was their concept.

Oh interesting. Thanks for the info mgr. Interestingly those two buildings also have a similar layout, and an angled building next door.   :blink:

17905177281_e6eca83267_b.jpg

For some odd reason their FB page map location shows it on 4th Street almost to Covell Ave. I'm hoping their FB is wrong and UP is correct.

For some odd reason their FB page map location shows it on 4th Street almost to Covell Ave. I'm hoping their FB is wrong and UP is correct.

FB probably shows that as the dead center-ish area for zip code 49504, which is the only "address" they show. 

To me the words "crowd-funding" (mentioned on Facebook) mean dead on arrival. 

Joe

I also have to say that they are going to have issues if it is dependent on that.

I like the idea that the Meanwhile did.  buy "Bar Buck"   $1.00  = $1.50 in bar bucks.   To get the cash up front.   

Plus the location looks like it would get over shadowed being across the street from new holland.

But best of luck.

I don't get it Dave what am I missing?   The article is from 2006?

It's a satirical commentary (from a satirical website) expressing Dave's disappointment at the delay in this development due primarily to protests from the existing neighbors.

• Like 1

I don't get it Dave what am I missing?   The article is from 2006?

Just being snarky. You've been down south too long and are loosing your sharp tongue.

It's a satirical commentary (from a satirical website) expressing Dave's disappointment at the delay in this development due primarily to protests from the existing neighbors.

Spot on.

Also, some of the 'neighbors' that shared comments live at least a mile away from this strip. Feels like some people are overly nostalgic for their youth and the way things used to be.

Edited by thebeerqueer

Westside Gateway = Massive development that will transform an entire city block.  Taproom for one of the most recognized labels in craft beer. Guaranteed to be a regional destination --> --> --> APPROVED!!

Sovengard = Neighborhood establishment.  Mostly uses the existing building footprint with minor infills.  Will cater to locals --> --> --> ABSOLUTELY NOT.

...SMH.  <_<  It's like they just want to prove to everyone they can still say "NO."

Westside Gateway = Massive development that will transform an entire city block.  Taproom for one of the most recognized labels in craft beer. Guaranteed to be a regional destination --> --> --> APPROVED!!

Sovengard = Neighborhood establishment.  Mostly uses the existing building footprint with minor infills.  Will cater to locals --> --> --> ABSOLUTELY NOT.

...SMH.  <_<  It's like they just want to prove to everyone they can still say "NO."

It wasn't completely denied. The surrounding neighbors had concerns about their plans to hold outdoor live music events until after midnight. 

Also, some of the 'neighbors' that shared comments live at least a mile away from this strip. Feels like some people are overly nostalgic for their youth and the way things used to be.

To be fair, there are a few houses left in that area--about 5 on Broadway and a small cluster on the next block up.  That said, given the general character of the neighborhood, zoning is not much of an excuse to keep this out.  Let them build it at risk of lawsuit. 

Let them build it at risk of lawsuit. 

I'm not sure that's the best approach. If they do build it and a lawsuit prevents them from operating as they had hoped, they could be left with a property that's not profitable as built. After they go bankrupt, the community is left with an empty structure without a compelling business use. Zoning absolutely needs to play a part here.

• Like 1

Ten years in the future, maybe even less then that, we will not be able to recognize this section of the Bridge Street corridor. Rockford Construction must have big plans for the area.

yoYgGmH.jpg

DADDS Magic Bus and Limo – Property is for sale.

Swift Printing – This is property owned by city commissioner Walt Gutowski. The walk-out basement of 443 Bridge is where The Sovengard is proposed to go.

The Reinhart's own the Monte's and O'Toole's buildings and bars. I think they just own the Anchor Bar building, but I'm not sure.

Rockford Berge is a joint company owned by Rockford Construction and Berge. Their offices are located on 36th street. Berge is a Spanish construction company that mostly is involved in infrastructure projects like ports, power facilities, etc. I think the Rockford Berge partnership started when they built a windfarm together.

Four of the six remaining homes on Broadway just north of the proposed Sovengard are owner occupied. And north of 1st street four of the six unmarked properties are also owner occupied.

Thanks! Nice chart.  I agree, it will be VERY different soon.  FYI, that Chase branch is going out soon.  Not sure what's going on with that.  Our small piece of the puzzle, 600 Bridge is fully renovated. Just needs a little more cleanup outside and a sign.   :yahoo:  

Ten years in the future, maybe even less then that, we will not be able to recognize this section of the Bridge Street corridor. Rockford Construction must have big plans for the area.

yoYgGmH.jpg

DADDS Magic Bus and Limo – Property is for sale.

Swift Printing – This is property owned by city commissioner Walt Gutowski. The walk-out basement of 443 Bridge is where The Sovengard is proposed to go.

The Reinhart's own the Monte's and O'Toole's buildings and bars. I think they just own the Anchor Bar building, but I'm not sure.

Rockford Berge is a joint company owned by Rockford Construction and Berge. Their offices are located on 36th street. Berge is a Spanish construction company that mostly is involved in infrastructure projects like ports, power facilities, etc. I think the Rockford Berge partnership started when they built a windfarm together.

Four of the six remaining homes on Broadway just north of the proposed Sovengard are owner occupied. And north of 1st street four of the six unmarked properties are also owner occupied.