New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

27 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

What division is GRFC even in?  Grand Rapids is pretty under represented in the sports world outside the Drive and Griffin's. A city GRs size should have at least a AA baseball team...  Not low A. 

Soccer is a weird thing in America. So GRFC is in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL), which is 4th tier of American soccer. However PDL is another league in America that is considered the 4th tier. USL is tier 3, but is in the works to become tier 2. NASL is tier 2 but is losing teams fast and might go away. MLS is top. 

12 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Soccer is a weird thing in America. So GRFC is in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL), which is 4th tier of American soccer. However PDL is another league in America that is considered the 4th tier. USL is tier 3, but is in the works to become tier 2. NASL is tier 2 but is losing teams fast and might go away. MLS is top. 

Think some of those NASL teams might be absorbed into the MLS? 

Edited by ironyisadeadscene

16 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

I've heard NY Cosmos potentially to MLS (but their stadium deal is stuck). 

Like ctpgr34 said - is it a women's team? Has the announcement been made?

Yes it is a Women's team. The United Women's Soccer League is adding a Midwest conference and GRFC is going to be an inaugural member.

NY Cosmos to MLS probably won't happen, NYCFC took the second MLS slot in the city, and they probably won't have a 3rd. Minnesota, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Miami, Detroit, and Sacramento is the likely order of expansion (the first three have confirmed dates, Miami has been announced, and Detroit and Sacramento are very likely).

USL on the other hand has said they are in talks with up to 8 more markets, so they may get to over 35 teams quickly.

3 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Yes it is a Women's team. The United Women's Soccer League is adding a Midwest conference and GRFC is going to be an inaugural member.

NY Cosmos to MLS probably won't happen, NYCFC took the second MLS slot in the city, and they probably won't have a 3rd. Minnesota, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Miami, Detroit, and Sacramento is the likely order of expansion (the first three have confirmed dates, Miami has been announced, and Detroit and Sacramento are very likely).

USL on the other hand has said they are in talks with up to 8 more markets, so they may get to over 35 teams quickly.

I found this to be a slightly underwhelming announcement. I love USWNT soccer, but hope a women's team doesn't make them lose focus. It seems like it'd be a better investment / move after they get a few more years under their belt and build the core business. Not that I won't attend a few games, just seems like their focus could be elsewhere right now.

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I found this to be a slightly underwhelming announcement. I love USWNT soccer, but hope a women's team doesn't make them lose focus. It seems like it'd be a better investment / move after they get a few more years under their belt and build the core business. Not that I won't attend a few games, just seems like their focus could be elsewhere right now.

Joe

I've heard that sentiment from a few different people and I understand where you (and they) are coming from. However after talking with the owner tonight, it seems like this is a very small investment. They already have sponsors on board covering the costs of everything, and they will be using a stadium at no cost to them. Plus it is a very small league with only 5 away games, so travel costs will be minimal. Not to mention the cost of joining the league goes towards playoff travel, so if we do well, we won't have to pay to send the players to the east or west coast for playoffs. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Where will Detroit play? 

4 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Where will Detroit play? 

2 hours ago, jonathan.jam said:

^
Tom Gores (owner of the Pistons) and Dan Gilbert are still working on getting a MLS stadium built at Wayne County's "Fail Jail" site downtown as part of a wider development.The current Detroit City FC (not MLS) is playing at the recently-renovated Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck.

Yeah the jail site is their number 1 choice, they haven't really said where they would play if that falls through, which it seems like every other week someone says they plan on finishing the jail and then the next week say it is dead again.

Edited by Pattmost20

10 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I've heard that sentiment from a few different people and I understand where you (and they) are coming from. However after talking with the owner tonight, it seems like this is a very small investment. They already have sponsors on board covering the costs of everything, and they will be using a stadium at no cost to them. Plus it is a very small league with only 5 away games, so travel costs will be minimal. Not to mention the cost of joining the league goes towards playoff travel, so if we do well, we won't have to pay to send the players to the east or west coast for playoffs. 

Plus it's a women's team. Go women! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Yeah the jail site is their number 1 choice, they haven't really said where they would play if that falls through, which it seems like every other week someone says they plan on finishing the jail and then the next week say it is dead again.

I'd rather they build a stadium. Another new venue and bringing people downtown can help the city even more. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Did they use their Bridgewater skycam to film the unveiling? 

Hahaha, saved money on a camera crew. :silly:

It looks incredible.  the Facebook page has more pictures.  I didn't know it's the only tower of its kind still standing in Michigan.

The WOOD story said:

The Restore the Bridge Street Signal Tower group says the plan is to move the tower further away from the road in the next two years. They hope to put it in the parking lot behind El Sombrero, closer to the railroad tracks.

Really, why??  I like it on Bridge Street!  AFAIK WOOD is the only mention of this I've seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

It looks incredible.  the Facebook page has more pictures.  I didn't know it's the only tower of its kind still standing in Michigan.

The WOOD story said:

Really, why??  I like it on Bridge Street!  AFAIK WOOD is the only mention of this I've seen.

Brian Sterling didn't seem to be able to hide his feelings that he thought the whole thing was stupid. Pleeb. :P

6 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

The WOOD story said:

It isn't the only tower of its kind still standing.  The media really dropped the ball.  There's another off of Hall SW on the Columbian property.

As for moving it, I'd imagine it might be to protect it from the eventual car crash into its base.  Rather not have happen to it what happened to Plato's olive tree in Athens. (Car crashed into it and killed it.)

I'm sure the Secchia's didn't buy property on one of the hottest streets For development to become El Sombrero's landlord. I'm thinking it's merely a matter of time before they announce a development that will push up to the sidewalk, necessitating the tower being moved. 

It looks pretty cool. Glad they saved it.

Joe

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tSlater said:

It isn't the only tower of its kind still standing.  The media really dropped the ball.  There's another off of Hall SW on the Columbian property.

As for moving it, I'd imagine it might be to protect it from the eventual car crash into its base.  Rather not have happen to it what happened to Plato's olive tree in Athens. (Car crashed into it and killed it.)

Where on the property? Never mind got it

Edited by ironyisadeadscene

21 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I'm sure the Secchia's didn't buy property on one of the hottest streets For development to become El Sombrero's landlord. I'm thinking it's merely a matter of time before they announce a development that will push up to the sidewalk, necessitating the tower being moved. 

It looks pretty cool. Glad they saved it.

Joe

That was my thinking too, but I'd rather see future development make room for the tower to be on the street.  It's a big lot, they can fit some green space or a wider sidewalk at that corner.  What was the point of doing this if it winds up hidden behind a building? ;)

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

That was my thinking too, but I'd rather see future development make room for the tower to be on the street.  It's a big lot, they can fit some green space or a wider sidewalk at that corner.  What was the point of doing this if it winds up hidden behind a building? ;)

They should put in a roundabout there and put it in the middle!!

• Like 2