New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, localtalent said:

Heard that Jolly Pumpkin is confirmed for Black Heron site.

There's also apparently a solid plan for Red Lion site.

Both within 12 months.

That's exciting! If you were old enough to have patronized Aftershock, moved away from Grand Rapids, and came back to visit in 24 months or so, I think Bridge Street would be so hard to recognize. It already is! :)

Joe

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

That's exciting! If you were old enough to have patronized Aftershock, moved away from Grand Rapids, and came back to visit in 24 months or so, I think Bridge Street would be so hard to recognize. It already is! :)

Joe

I was at a red light by New Holland once, and for a few seconds I wasn't even sure what city I was in.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 10:33 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

I was at a red light by New Holland once, and for a few seconds I wasn't even sure what city I was in.

Like, whoa, man....

Seriously though, it is astonishing to see how much the west side has changed as a result of the project.  They really did a fantastic job on New Holland.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, x99 said:

Like, whoa, man....

Seriously though, it is astonishing to see how much the west side has changed as a result of the project.  They really did a fantastic job on New Holland.  

I think the Meijer/Apartment/WMCAT project will actually astonish people when it's finished. Shoot, when it's shelled in. If you remove the topic of height for a moment, nothing of this scale has been done in GR before, not in an old school business district. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, demhem said:

Although this is small scale, it looks like someone is renovating the interior of 812 Butterworth SW. There are now two logos on the windows that say "Grain Sandwich Shop" and I believe "Westside Massage" opening soon. Anyone have any additional details?

I found this for the Grain Sandwich- http://www.imgrum.org/user/grainsandwichshop/5900383709

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 6:46 PM, GRDadof3 said:

In other news, Third Coast Development is moving over to the West Side, Leonard and Alpine. 

25259385324_05992d060c_b.jpg

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but we have updated renderings from Progressive AE. Completely different exterior materials, but still 36 units  and still apparently the same floor plan. Note that as with the original renderings, the rear half of the first floor is covered parking.

leo-and-alpine_002.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, getemngo said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but we have updated renderings from Progressive AE. Completely different exterior materials, but still 36 units  and still apparently the same floor plan. Note that as with the original renderings, the rear half of the first floor is covered parking.

leo-and-alpine_002.jpg

Nope. No. Nuh uh. When I saw 240 Ionia, 26 Cherry and 205 Division, it was meh. When I saw Fulton Place Apartments I was a little relieved (still flat boxes though). Now I see Diamond Place and this clone going up... 

Diamond Place

CDFA29B6-604A-444C-83D6-B96BD7E74B13.jpeg.e218386def7b134a72349a7d6ab2f5da.jpeg

The previous  rendering was at least interesting, albeit a little bit similar to 240 Ionia, but decent and it looked like it took someone some effort to draw it out. I know some people don’t have the fortune or funds for the best projects around but developments are starting to look depressing. We’re just pumping out cookie-cutter boxes to keep up with demand at this point. I mean it’s great that we have people moving into the city but...

Anyways, at least we have Monroe North and Bridge Street looking pretty good so far.  Sorry for the rant, tried to keep it at least a little positive at the end. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 8:25 AM, localtalent said:

Heard that Jolly Pumpkin is confirmed for Black Heron site.

There's also apparently a solid plan for Red Lion site.

Both within 12 months.

Our NA just received a request from Kincaid Henry to present their project at the Red Lion site. Stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2017 at 5:35 PM, GVSUChris said:

Everyday I walk by Black Heron and wonder if/when Jolly Pumpkin is actually going to go in here - well wait no more! I see a permit was filed yesterday to start renovation and work!!! I'm so happy about this. Now to see what happens with the Red Lion spot! 

Is the permit posted on the building anywhere? I rode by yesterday and only saw the notice that Black Heron is no more. 

• 2 weeks later...

So now that I'm on Bridge Street everyday I will likely become a gossip queen for all things Bridge Street. That said, here are a couple things of note - 

1. I saw crews inside the former Black Heron / soon to be Jolly Pumpkin project, so that's a great sign. 

2. Conscious Collective is closing Saturday. The owner has been running things herself and has fallen ill so it will open up an interesting opportunity and I'll be excited to see who wants to do what with that space. 

3. I've been told by multiple business owners that Shorts Brewery has been looking specifically at Bridge Street spots - many have said they've got something picked out. That all might just be a rumor but I've heard it from multiple people now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

So now that I'm on Bridge Street everyday I will likely become a gossip queen for all things Bridge Street. That said, here are a couple things of note - 

1. I saw crews inside the former Black Heron / soon to be Jolly Pumpkin project, so that's a great sign. 

2. Conscious Collective is closing Saturday. The owner has been running things herself and has fallen ill so it will open up an interesting opportunity and I'll be excited to see who wants to do what with that space. 

3. I've been told by multiple business owners that Shorts Brewery has been looking specifically at Bridge Street spots - many have said they've got something picked out. That all might just be a rumor but I've heard it from multiple people now. 

Almost all good news!  Add JP and Shorts to that street and it's quite the beer hub.  Wow.

Sad about Conscious Collective.  I always thought the name was odd, but it was the only men's consignment in town and I would usually find some great stuff there.  Fencing off the parking lot next door for no real reason (along with the health issues, etc.) didn't help either.

One more thing...remember Insignia Homes was going to build a place on Seward just south of Bridge?  They were so ready to go this past winter that they contacted my wife as the guy who was snowplowing her lot was pushing the snow into their "field".  She paid him to remove all the snow so they could start construction.  Then....nothing.  Weird.  I guess they moved somewhere else.  Not sure what their plans are now.

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Hey, I thought I was the gossip queen of the Westside? Can we share the title?

Gladys_Kravitz.jpg

48 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Almost all good news!  Add JP and Shorts to that street and it's quite the beer hub.  Wow.

Sad about Conscious Collective.  I always thought the name was odd, but it was the only men's consignment in town and I would usually find some great stuff there.  Fencing off the parking lot next door for no real reason (along with the health issues, etc.) didn't help either.

One more thing...remember Insignia Homes was going to build a place on Seward just south of Bridge?  They were so ready to go this past winter that they contacted my wife as the guy who was snowplowing her lot was pushing the snow into their "field".  She paid him to remove all the snow so they could start construction.  Then....nothing.  Weird.  I guess they moved somewhere else.  Not sure what their plans are now.

I remember plans for a carpenter/cabinetry shop on this site. I didn't know it was connected to Insignia Homes. Either way ... crickets. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Hey, I thought I was the gossip queen of the Westside? Can we share the title?

Ha! You can DEF retain your title as Gossip Queen of the Westside! I just will share Bridge Street title - or even settle for a lower ranking title. I can only manage Bridge Street and a few other tiny little things on the Westside right now for gossip and inside scoop haha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

Ha! You can DEF retain your title as Gossip Queen of the Westside! I just will share Bridge Street title - or even settle for a lower ranking title. I can only manage Bridge Street and a few other tiny little things on the Westside right now for gossip and inside scoop haha. 

Maybe Duke? Duke of Bridge is a fine designation!

Adding Shorts, along with Jolly Pumpkin, Atwater, New Holland, One Bourbon and Long Road - We should designate it  Booze Alley! :) 

Joe

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Short's would be boss in Grand Rapids. I love their beers but I'm not a fan of their brewpub in Bellaire anymore (although I grudgingly go anyway when we're up there).