New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

22 hours ago, mgreven said:

Ryan bought the buildings that house “One Bourbon” in Bridge so continuing to buy on the west side makes sense. Does the term “brewing” mean anything or are you just using it as an expression? I was just thinking the west side needs another brewery to be announced. :D

Speaking of TC places coming here...are TC restaurants pretty seasonal? I mean, I only go there in the summer...but I don’t ski either. Do you think some of them think a GR location would be more year round?

I was shocked the first time I went to Jolly Pumpkin (Old Mission location) in the winter. Mid January, miserable weather, parking lot was full and we had to wait for a table. I think the year round population of the Grand Traverse region (~100k) supports the restaurants pretty well, but they do drop off a bit from the summer time. Also have to agree with GRDadof3, winter time is a lot of fun in TC. It doesn't shut down like a lot of vacation towns, so you get to experience the city without all the traffic and extra people.

19 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I was shocked the first time I went to Jolly Pumpkin (Old Mission location) in the winter. Mid January, miserable weather, parking lot was full and we had to wait for a table. I think the year round population of the Grand Traverse region (~100k) supports the restaurants pretty well, but they do drop off a bit from the summer time. Also have to agree with GRDadof3, winter time is a lot of fun in TC. It doesn't shut down like a lot of vacation towns, so you get to experience the city without all the traffic and extra people.

I was just about to say the same thing. I was up there in January for their beer festival (surprise, I know) and we went out there for dinner and it was packed. Looked like a lot of wealthy people that have places on the Mission. Great food too. 

On 10/27/2017 at 3:58 PM, GRDadof3 said:

It's proposed by Greg Lobdell who owns North Peak Brewing but it says the name will be "North." Maybe they're branding it more as a "restaurant" as opposed to a brewpub. 

Here's the narrative from Concept Design:

59f38ff65e87c_North-WestSide-Narrative1.thumb.jpg.6141394136c0fa1ddbe3dbdc259612eb.jpg

59f38ff3e02b8_North-WestSide-Narrative2.thumb.jpg.686eb83abe0d578e8073633f6779a743.jpg

I believe Mash is going to be in the basement, floors 2 - 5 residential.  At least, that's what someone said previously back up a page or so ago. 

I guess there is Grizzly Peak Brewing in Ann Arbor that is under this ownership too and basicly is North Peak from what I'm told. Maybe "North" will be something like that restaurant with North Peak's Beer.   

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

I was just about to say the same thing. I was up there in January for their beer festival (surprise, I know) and we went out there for dinner and it was packed. Looked like a lot of wealthy people that have places on the Mission. Great food too. 

I didn't realize until today that Mitten Brewing Co has a location in Northport. They bought someone out? 

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

They've got a cool little spot up there. Super cozy and chill. Rumor has it that you might be able to catch Mario Batali popping in for a beer or two. 

Huh! I had to google him because even though I know the name, I couldn't pick him out of a lineup. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

He's a big fan of the food truck that parks outside the brewery, Earth, Wind, and Fryer.

I was up there in the spring and there was no one around, one guy working the taproom but also repairing a fence outside, it was sort of help yourself system. Quintessentially 'up north'.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Huh! I had to google him because even though I know the name, I couldn't pick him out of a lineup. :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/mi/the-mitten-brewing-co

I know this is from an episode of a Michael Symon show but I couldn't find the link to the other article where Batali carries on about the Leelanau  peninsula and Mitten Brewing's location. 

On 10/27/2017 at 3:58 PM, GRDadof3 said:

It's proposed by Greg Lobdell who owns North Peak Brewing but it says the name will be "North." Maybe they're branding it more as a "restaurant" as opposed to a brewpub. 

Here's the narrative from Concept Design:

59f38ff65e87c_North-WestSide-Narrative1.thumb.jpg.6141394136c0fa1ddbe3dbdc259612eb.jpg

59f38ff3e02b8_North-WestSide-Narrative2.thumb.jpg.686eb83abe0d578e8073633f6779a743.jpg

I believe Mash is going to be in the basement, floors 2 - 5 residential.  At least, that's what someone said previously back up a page or so ago. 

I'm going to attempt to make it to this Planning Commission meeting next week. I'll report back any more info!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I'm personally not a fan of the orange but I dig that they're trying not to be boring. The color change on the siding on the south facing upper floors is beyond frustrating. 

Yeah, is that f'reals or is that a mistake? Or not finished yet?  

On 11/2/2017 at 8:29 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I'm going to attempt to make it to this Planning Commission meeting next week. I'll report back any more info!

From our NA board meeting last night: 44 units, studios and 1 bedrooms, ranging from 400-650 sq feet, outdoor seating in back and out front. I believe the only thing they're going to PC for is the outside space use.  Additionally, Walt Gutowski is planning on keeping the Red Lion sign. 

3 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

From our NA board meeting last night: 44 units, studios and 1 bedrooms, ranging from 400-650 sq feet, outdoor seating in back and out front. I believe the only thing they're going to PC for is the outside space use.  Additionally, Walt Gutowski is planning on keeping the Red Lion sign. 

Hurray for saving the sign! :) Did they say what they'll do with it?

Joe