Jump to content

New projects on the West Side


GRDadof3

Recommended Posts


Last I saw on that site was approval on plans from the city. They’ve had engineer types poking around over there as recently as last week.

I've heard nothing of the deal falling through.

In fact, pretty sure there was a sale of the parcel a while back (from Walt to North Peak folks). 

Maybe that was all premature and it never closed?

EDIT - per city, it closed last March for $950,000. Pretty sure plans didn't fall through...

Edited by localtalent
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I wasn’t sure of the credibility of that rumor - I looked up the sale, too. That’s a lot of money and work to scrap a project. 

Maybe since the concept isn’t a NP tap room specifically, there was confusion. Hope it goes up soon...that site needs something.  

Just wanted to see if there was any truth in that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Yeah, I wasn’t sure of the credibility of that rumor - I looked up the sale, too. That’s a lot of money and work to scrap a project. 

Maybe since the concept isn’t a NP tap room specifically, there was confusion. Hope it goes up soon...that site needs something.  

Just wanted to see if there was any truth in that. 

The confusion might be coming from the fact that Jolly Pumpkin was going to go on that site by themselves, and that plan was scrapped for the bigger mixed use project. Depending on where you hear the rumor, the general public seems to be 2 or 3 steps/projects behind us UP-ers. :P 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In other West Side news...

I was told this morning the Denym will be moving over to Cherry Street in the former Richard App space. As I've noted before, we did a pop-up store with Books & Mortar on Bridge and during that time I spent a lot of time reflecting with the owner of Denym on the future of retail on Bridge, to which we both agreed that it wasn't looking good. As someone who owns a thriving business on Cherry I can say that this is an exciting announcement for us, but it makes us a little sad for Bridge Street. That said, across the board it all makes sense. We are THRILLED to add another thriving business to a budding retail district, AND as I've said, maybe Bridge is more of the next Ionia than anything else, and that is okay too. 

I'm sure their space will be snatched pretty quickly on Bridge! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Wait... What happened to the Richard App Gallery?!  Did he sell that building too? 

Doh! I completely forgot to mention that this happened.

Yeah, he officially closed down back in late Feb. No mention on Facebook as to why. I'm thinking he just felt time to move on. He's been there for a long time, before 99% of the development you see there today.

I dont think it was for a lack of money as he seemed to be doing really well with renting the space out for receptions and parties, which will be sad to not walk by and see through the big windows in the evening.

I doubt he sold the building. He can make great money as a landlord with that location. Denym is definitely one of those cool stores that I see really doing something unique with this building. Their style and that space are made for each other.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Doh! I completely forgot to mention that this happened.

Yeah, he officially closed down back in late Feb. No mention on Facebook as to why. I'm thinking he just felt time to move on. He's been there for a long time, before 99% of the development you see there today.

I dont think it was for a lack of money as he seemed to be doing really well with renting the space out for receptions and parties, which will be sad to not walk by and see through the big windows in the evening.

I doubt he sold the building. He can make great money as a landlord with that location. Denym is definitely one of those cool stores that I see really doing something unique with this building. Their style and that space are made for each other.

I don't think he owns it anymore. We briefly looked into it and it sounds like there is a new owner now . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

Well more west side density.  Where specifically will this be?

Big empty lot that had all the houses torn down?

 

Consumers announces $20M Grand Rapids headquarters

http://www.woodtv.com/1048738482

 

If you are talking Alabama between 1st and 2nd Streets, that would be my guess.   Boy, the westside is HOT. 

consumers energy gr rendering 031518_1521139036942.jpg_37315380_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Edited by mpchicago
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

If you are talking Alabama between 1st and 2nd Streets, that would be my guess.   Boy, the westside is HOT. 

Or the parking lot on the West side of the street. This will bring a lot more daytime activity to the area. Maybe there is still potential for more uses other than entertainment. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Or the parking lot on the West side of the street. This will bring a lot more daytime activity to the area. Maybe there is still potential for more uses other than entertainment. 

My guess is the empty space behind the new lofts...I know I saw they were trying to get that rezoned/approved for an office building...that would make sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if they are working in conjunction with Rockford on this since they are all things West Side.

EDIT:  I have answered my own question.  Yes of course they will be working with Rockford.  Mlive has the address listed as 501 Alabama Ave NW which is behind the 616 lofts on Alabama, and across the st from Rockfords headquarters in that parking lot. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/03/consumers_energy_to_build_20m.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I don't think he owns it anymore. We briefly looked into it and it sounds like there is a new owner now . 

I'm fairly certain the building was owned by Dr App, the father of all the Apps. They put their home up on the hill on Bridge St up for sale (not sure if it has sold yet) as well as property they had off of Plainfield in Creston. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MJLO said:

I wonder if they are working in conjunction with Rockford on this since they are all things West Side.

EDIT:  I have answered my own question.  Yes of course they will be working with Rockford.  Mlive has the address listed as 501 Alabama Ave NW which is behind the 616 lofts on Alabama, and across the st from Rockfords headquarters in that parking lot. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/03/consumers_energy_to_build_20m.html

5aab0ff6eb621_501alabama-ConsumersEnergy.thumb.jpg.a5c4b695e240364d37f47f16d2994f97.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Doh! I completely forgot to mention that this happened.

Yeah, he officially closed down back in late Feb. No mention on Facebook as to why. I'm thinking he just felt time to move on. He's been there for a long time, before 99% of the development you see there today.

I dont think it was for a lack of money as he seemed to be doing really well with renting the space out for receptions and parties, which will be sad to not walk by and see through the big windows in the evening.

I doubt he sold the building. He can make great money as a landlord with that location. Denym is definitely one of those cool stores that I see really doing something unique with this building. Their style and that space are made for each other.

App has been quite invovled in the old  City Water building, curating shows for the last two APs. I haven't checked lately with him, but at the time, it sounded as if this was to be his new space.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm fairly certain the building was owned by Dr App, the father of all the Apps. They put their home up on the hill on Bridge St up for sale (not sure if it has sold yet) as well as property they had off of Plainfield in Creston. 

Currently under contract, hasn't closed yet. That house started around $1.2 Million, it was listed at $550,000 at the time of sale, not sure what the actual price will be. I ubered one of the Apps (not Richard, but his brother) from that house, it is quite the place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Currently under contract, hasn't closed yet. That house started around $1.2 Million, it was listed at $550,000 at the time of sale, not sure what the actual price will be. I ubered one of the Apps (not Richard, but his brother) from that house, it is quite the place.

It shows on the county's site that it was "sold to lender" in 2016 for $359,000. Kind of sad how that all went down.  I would've bought the place for $359,000. The greenhouse was in realllly rough shape and probably needs to be torn down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2018 at 11:15 AM, mgreven said:

Thought I’d update since I threw out a rumor about the NP project on the Red Lion site. I just saw someone post online that it was dead and got worried, but UP reassured me. As usual, UP was right. :)

The Jolly Pumpkin folks stopped into my wife’s office and told her all about JP and the project across the street so it’s for sure a go. One extra tidbit, the JP/old Black Heron building has a huge basement where they are going to do a tiki inspired place at some point. 

Nice!

This project is on the agenda for the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority for Wednesday.

5ab044e4d679a_mashwestsideproject2.thumb.JPG.6f7ce2de6912d754e502b423c0371141.JPG

 

5ab044e832596_Mashwestsideproject.thumb.JPG.e129ab459e30752038475735bc8b0aa7.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.