GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

42 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

It'll never sell at that price. 

Dunno, there’s probably enough meat on that bone to get close.

$30-40k/single family site would do it.

18 minutes ago, SupercityGR said:

I would like to see 105 acres of townhomes and low to mid rises. A sea of 2 to 5 story buildings 

Lol. 

This parcel reeks of suburbia. No way it turns into a sea of 2 to 5 story buildings.

But that does beg the question. This parcel, where it is, current economy...what’s the best use?

I’d love to hear opinions from folks on UP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, localtalent said:

Dunno, there’s probably enough meat on that bone to get close.

$30-40k/single family site would do it.

I don't know what that means. :) The commercial portions out by LMD might go for that but you can't develop single family homes on raw land that is $48,000/acre. 

Isn't The Rapid/Laker Line still looking for a space to fit a large commuter lot for the Laker Line? Maybe that could be tucked in the back with some mixed use buildings out front?

On 6/23/2018 at 8:40 AM, GRDadof3 said:

That rendering at least looks a little less drab than the ones we've seen previously.

dnbuilding.jpg

Construction fencing is up around the site and the sidewalk is blocked off . I would imagine we'll see some site work beginning soon. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 10:10 AM, thebeerqueer said:

Isn't The Rapid/Laker Line still looking for a space to fit a large commuter lot for the Laker Line? Maybe that could be tucked in the back with some mixed use buildings out front?

I think they have that land East of there locked up now, behind the retirement home. 

There's a gigantic parcel of land surrounding Meijer slated for mixed-use, which I think is a better location than Lincoln CC, and it's been for sale/vacant for a really long time. 

I think it will be split up and made into commercial along LMD and apartments in the back, which heaven knows I don't think that area of Walker/Standale needs any more apartments. It's becoming a mini-Rentwood. 

The mixed-use building located at 1220 West Fulton (near Valley and Fulton) is being completely remodeled and its storefront restored with floor to ceiling glass. I'll try to post pictures of it this evening. Does anyone have any idea what may be going in there? 

3 hours ago, demhem said:

The mixed-use building located at 1220 West Fulton (near Valley and Fulton) is being completely remodeled and its storefront restored with floor to ceiling glass. I'll try to post pictures of it this evening. Does anyone have any idea what may be going in there? 

Hmm, I haven't heard anything but maybe Vinny's is renovating in preparation for the Laker Line. I'll ask around if anyone knows. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 2:42 PM, EastownLeo said:

Well more west side density.  Where specifically will this be?

Big empty lot that had all the houses torn down?

Consumers announces $20M Grand Rapids headquarters

http://www.woodtv.com/1048738482

Did anyone mention already that this site is all fenced off now? If it was me then blame it on age-ism. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Did anyone mention already that this site is all fenced off now? If it was me then blame it on age-ism. :)

It's been fenced off and had utility trucks on it for a while.  It didn't seem like much was going on, but there's been a decent amount of work happening beneath the street around the block for the last couple weeks.   Maybe they are getting ready for something more interesting :D

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It would be nice to see some real renderings of what we can expect for that site.  When we drove in on 196 from the west the other day I couldn’t believe how “cool” that area is starting to look, especially with the center city in the background. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

It would be nice to see some real renderings of what we can expect for that site.  When we drove in on 196 from the west the other day I couldn’t believe how “cool” that area is starting to look, especially with the center city in the background. 

I've looked all over and all I can find is the one that came out with the press release.  I've decided that it's an angle looking Northeast, with the Alabama project in the far right. Which means that there appears to be a plaza/greenspace planned for where 1st Street extends to Seward?  It would be cool to see a master plan of this "Circuit West" area they're calling it.

677a00576576cc874d861004c58dc888_XL.jpg

• Like 1

I really like the brickwork on the Meijer/Hendrick apartment portion. 

Does anyone know when the other apartment building will start (that faces Stocking)? I know this was going to be affordable housing. 

Joe

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Does anyone know when the other apartment building will start (that faces Stocking)? I know this was going to be affordable housing. 

Joe

From what I was told, they were having issues with environmental stuff due to the gas station's tanks leaking.  That was a while ago, though.

Edited by mgreven

7 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

I like the brickwork too, particularly between the windows. I also like the diagonal metal supports on the balconies. Nice touches. 

• Like 2

I noticed today that a little building next to the new mixed-use project going in has a Mayan Ice Cream shop coming soon sign. Found them on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/mayanchocolate/

https://goo.gl/maps/8QEQiPTrr8J2

I also noticed that Fratelli's Pizza on Bridge is expanding into the space where Denym used to be. 

https://goo.gl/maps/fSVnPhkinnw

On their FB page there's a post saying they're opening a bigger bar/restaurant. My bad is someone posted this already. ;)

• Like 2

I also noticed on Leonard Street there's a really cool building renovation across from Arnie's on Leonard. Turns out it's a studio for photographers decorated by local artists:

https://www.facebook.com/mymusegr/?hc_ref=ARTvbxpMqXz9w25ABnvc6lfp83L_u2fYkDrXKaeWtzwWAKQwUDqHvk-0RH1KpeT-n94

They hosted a Detroit-Grand Rapids event recently:

https://www.facebook.com/JonathanJelks/videos/10100757239722474/

On 7/23/2018 at 11:48 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I also noticed on Leonard Street there's a really cool building renovation across from Arnie's on Leonard. Turns out it's a studio for photographers decorated by local artists:

Lets not forget that used to be a Cina Mini.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9851619,-85.6866549,3a,75y,1.72h,87.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdmufBZVY078rAHPOfDQp1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 2:52 PM, mgreven said:

From what I was told, they were having issues with environmental stuff due to the gas station's tanks leaking.  That was a while ago, though.

I see it on the city's permit report. Maybe it's coming soon. 

• Like 1

Most of the construction fencing is down around the Bridge Street Market/Meijer. The streetscaping and landscaping are great, really inviting. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this space unfolds. 

• Like 4