New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, wingbert said:

But I should validate the millennials here by noting that they are all special and wonderful people and we’ve got participation ribbons for everyone

Jesus Christ when did UP become the comment section of Mlive. I sense a lot of jealously towards millennials because we do live downtown, we do work downtown, we do use public transport, y'all just like to write about it. 

• Like 2

Looking at that video, I have to keep telling myself to see  this project in the same way as the Arena. That it is only the beginning. There is so much undeveloped or under-developed land around it, that it will eventually fill in with amazing spin-off developments. You can just see it all right there!

I just know that all that wont really happen until I'm into my late 40s. It took until my early 30s for the VAA district to get to where it is now, and I started watching them build it when I was 16.

That's why I hate you millennials ! You and your crazy not old-ness.:tw_lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

That looks amazing. I love the solar panels as well. All it needs now are some of those rooftop wind turbines for the cloudy winter months. 

Is anything going to be done to the right triangle shaped lot immediately west of this? I see a wall around it.

Yes, that's where the affordable housing part is going.

Here are a couple of images of it (back corner):

32315547650_e9ef48e2eb_b.jpg&key=178fe59

IMG_3070.thumb.PNG.7b5f7d40cb8bc3d43c858

In fact I just found that we've all been posting in the wrong thread. :) Should I just combine the Meijer one into this? 

• Like 2

Wow, that place looks awesome!  Seems to be really well thought out and cover all of the bases.  Any word yet on how pricing compares for staples compared to Meijer?  Do they carry Meijer label packaged food? (I may have answered my own question, looks like Meijer branded milk in the dairy fridge)

1 hour ago, discgrab21 said:

Wow, that place looks awesome!  Seems to be really well thought out and cover all of the bases.  Any word yet on how pricing compares for staples compared to Meijer?  Do they carry Meijer label packaged food? (I may have answered my own question, looks like Meijer branded milk in the dairy fridge)

This is a me question too.  One of the drawbacks of commuting to Grand Haven is not being able to see these things right away lol.  I'm really hoping they have the typical Midwestern things I cook with like cans of soup, and jars of sghetti sauce.  My biggest fear is that it would be an abundance of prepackaged hipster things, and not a lot of everyday practical things. 

2 hours ago, discgrab21 said:

Pricing is reasonable, somewhere in between regular and promoted price at a traditional Meijer. Also, yes, you will see private label products at the store, in fact some items like toilet paper will only have the Meijer brand. I was told that if they carry a product with a Meijer branded equivalent, the own brand will also be on the shelf.

FYI, I work for Meijer.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

That produce selection looks legit. Anytime I try to make a quick run to Family Fare on Fulton for last minute ingredients, I generally walk away disappointed. It'll be great to finally have a good option within a 10 minute drive.

Family Fare in general, but especially on Fulton, is THE. WORST. STORE. in the history of all history. I have vowed to not go there anymore. The selections (especially for produce) is terrible and it is a really expensive store for the environment, selection, etc. I'm checking out Bridge Street Market this evening and am anticipating that it will be what I've been waiting for, given all the pics of the produce section! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Family Fare in general, but especially on Fulton, is THE. WORST. STORE. in the history of all history. I have vowed to not go there anymore. The selections (especially for produce) is terrible and it is a really expensive store for the environment, selection, etc. I'm checking out Bridge Street Market this evening and am anticipating that it will be what I've been waiting for, given all the pics of the produce section! 

I used to frequent it, probably have been there once in the last year. Got fed up with overpaying for moldy fruit and grey meat. 

2 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

In addition to Bridge Street Market, and the urban format store planned for Jefferson Avenue in Detroit, Meijer has announced they will anchor yet another development.

Capital City Market 

I think these urban markets are a great segment for Meijer to be breaking into. They have all the distribution infrastructure in place to make it work while being able to be competitive on prices.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

It's a store that desperately need to be demolished and rebuilt. Because they are the only grocery that services the Uptown area, they seemed to have developed a bit of an "where else are you going to go" attitude. I dont know if GFS will be the competition they need, just have to see.

I do hope that Bride St. Mkt. lights a fire under Family Fare's rear, though. A lot of Uptown folks naturally go out to Knapp's Corner or D&W in Breton Village for major groceries, and having this new place far closer to us will suck in a lot more people from here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

That produce selection looks legit. Anytime I try to make a quick run to Family Fare on Fulton for last minute ingredients, I generally walk away disappointed. It'll be great to finally have a good option within a 10 minute drive.

I think Meijer generally does a really good job with produce. I heard a lot of people rave about Forest Hills Foods and I've shopped there a few times now and their produce section is pretty weak. Same with D&W. 

The place looks beautiful. All of those people crying for a downtown grocery store for the past 15 - 20 years now have a legit one. 

3 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

I wish Meijer would try to cut down on the number of plastic bags they use. I think this store is perfect to try to do something more sustainable. 

Give shoppers  a price break if they use re-usable bags? Right at the register? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

I wish Meijer would try to cut down on the number of plastic bags they use. I think this store is perfect to try to do something more sustainable. 

Oh my gosh I thought the exact same thing. I kind of expected they wouldn't use them at this store but they were everywhere! 

We went and did our entire grocery shopping tonight! Mistake, yes, but only because it was PACKED. That said, it has virtually everything you need, great produce, great prices (seriously!) and I actually love how the alcohol is curated. I saw a ton of people who were buying their groceries and tbh I felt like it was a very diverse crowd. All in all this is a HUGE win for Grand Rapids and hopefully just a tiny glimpse of what's to come. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Give shoppers  a price break if they use re-usable bags? Right at the register? 

Love that idea.

I know in the UK certain stores charge to use plastic bags. However, I don't know how well that would go down here though. Definitely the incentive needs to be financial in order to be effective.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Oh my gosh I thought the exact same thing. I kind of expected they wouldn't use them at this store but they were everywhere! 

We went and did our entire grocery shopping tonight! Mistake, yes, but only because it was PACKED. That said, it has virtually everything you need, great produce, great prices (seriously!) and I actually love how the alcohol is curated. I saw a ton of people who were buying their groceries and tbh I felt like it was a very diverse crowd. All in all this is a HUGE win for Grand Rapids and hopefully just a tiny glimpse of what's to come. 

Agreed.  I was so impressed when I walked in tonight.  It FAR exceeded my expectations.  I think Meijer knocked this out of the park.  I am really hoping it attracts other retail tenants (as I have said before) and I can do all my errands on foot.  I'm super stoked! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

Love that idea.

I know in the UK certain stores charge to use plastic bags. However, I don't know how well that would go down here though. Definitely the incentive needs to be financial in order to be effective.

All over Europe actually.  Not cheap either, usually about .25Euro/lb a bag.  It works though, I kept my bags and brought them with me when I backpacked around.

The building is super awesome though.  The area has a ton of potential to be the next section of downtown.  

I've been working on a project around the city and on street parking here will be metered as part of the expansion of parking services.  Can customers get garage parking validated for shopping?

Edited by Floyd_Z
garage**

23 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

All over Europe actually.  Not cheap either, usually about .25Euro/lb a bag.  It works though, I kept my bags and brought them with me when I backpacked around.

The building is super awesome though.  The area has a ton of potential to be the next section of downtown.  

I've been working on a project around the city and on street parking here will be metered as part of the expansion of parking services.  Can customers get garage parking validated for shopping?

I think a system like the Downtown Market would be great. Free parking for an hour or even half hour in the ramp. $1 or $2/hour after that. None of this $8/hour crap (ahem Ellis) to go grocery shopping. 

• Like 1