GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

5 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

That produce selection looks legit. Anytime I try to make a quick run to Family Fare on Fulton for last minute ingredients, I generally walk away disappointed. It'll be great to finally have a good option within a 10 minute drive.

I think Meijer generally does a really good job with produce. I heard a lot of people rave about Forest Hills Foods and I've shopped there a few times now and their produce section is pretty weak. Same with D&W. 

The place looks beautiful. All of those people crying for a downtown grocery store for the past 15 - 20 years now have a legit one. 

I wish Meijer would try to cut down on the number of plastic bags they use. I think this store is perfect to try to do something more sustainable. 

3 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

I wish Meijer would try to cut down on the number of plastic bags they use. I think this store is perfect to try to do something more sustainable. 

Give shoppers  a price break if they use re-usable bags? Right at the register? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

Oh my gosh I thought the exact same thing. I kind of expected they wouldn't use them at this store but they were everywhere! 

We went and did our entire grocery shopping tonight! Mistake, yes, but only because it was PACKED. That said, it has virtually everything you need, great produce, great prices (seriously!) and I actually love how the alcohol is curated. I saw a ton of people who were buying their groceries and tbh I felt like it was a very diverse crowd. All in all this is a HUGE win for Grand Rapids and hopefully just a tiny glimpse of what's to come. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Give shoppers  a price break if they use re-usable bags? Right at the register? 

Love that idea.

I know in the UK certain stores charge to use plastic bags. However, I don't know how well that would go down here though. Definitely the incentive needs to be financial in order to be effective.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Oh my gosh I thought the exact same thing. I kind of expected they wouldn't use them at this store but they were everywhere! 

We went and did our entire grocery shopping tonight! Mistake, yes, but only because it was PACKED. That said, it has virtually everything you need, great produce, great prices (seriously!) and I actually love how the alcohol is curated. I saw a ton of people who were buying their groceries and tbh I felt like it was a very diverse crowd. All in all this is a HUGE win for Grand Rapids and hopefully just a tiny glimpse of what's to come. 

Agreed.  I was so impressed when I walked in tonight.  It FAR exceeded my expectations.  I think Meijer knocked this out of the park.  I am really hoping it attracts other retail tenants (as I have said before) and I can do all my errands on foot.  I'm super stoked! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

Love that idea.

I know in the UK certain stores charge to use plastic bags. However, I don't know how well that would go down here though. Definitely the incentive needs to be financial in order to be effective.

All over Europe actually.  Not cheap either, usually about .25Euro/lb a bag.  It works though, I kept my bags and brought them with me when I backpacked around.

The building is super awesome though.  The area has a ton of potential to be the next section of downtown.  

I've been working on a project around the city and on street parking here will be metered as part of the expansion of parking services.  Can customers get garage parking validated for shopping?

Edited by Floyd_Z
garage**
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

All over Europe actually.  Not cheap either, usually about .25Euro/lb a bag.  It works though, I kept my bags and brought them with me when I backpacked around.

The building is super awesome though.  The area has a ton of potential to be the next section of downtown.  

I've been working on a project around the city and on street parking here will be metered as part of the expansion of parking services.  Can customers get garage parking validated for shopping?

I think a system like the Downtown Market would be great. Free parking for an hour or even half hour in the ramp. $1 or $2/hour after that. None of this $8/hour crap (ahem Ellis) to go grocery shopping. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I think a system like the Downtown Market would be great. Free parking for an hour or even half hour in the ramp. $1 or $2/hour after that. None of this $8/hour crap (ahem Ellis) to go grocery shopping. 

But Ellis needs more gold rings and necklaces!

Free hour and a half would be perfect though.

According to WOOD, the prices are actually cheaper at Bridge St. than at other locations, to take account for the lack of mperks and coupons available.  I always forget to use those damn things so maybe Bridge St. will be my new go-to location.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/new-urban-meijer-has-surprising-prices/1405233865

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChevalierNoir said:

Free for one hour.

This and route 19 is now free??? The townspeople erupt in jubilation!!! (and spend more at Meijer instead of on the parking). 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tSlater said:

According to WOOD, the prices are actually cheaper at Bridge St. than at other locations, to take account for the lack of mperks and coupons available.  I always forget to use those damn things so maybe Bridge St. will be my new go-to location.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/new-urban-meijer-has-surprising-prices/1405233865

They were noticeably cheaper, I figured it was promotional.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I think Meijer generally does a really good job with produce. I heard a lot of people rave about Forest Hills Foods and I've shopped there a few times now and their produce section is pretty weak. Same with D&W. 

The place looks beautiful. All of those people crying for a downtown grocery store for the past 15 - 20 years now have a legit one. 

I grew up less than a mile from FHF so it'll always be one of my favorites. That being said, it is getting a little too "Whole Foods" for my taste (and budget). Still hard to beat their butcher counter in terms of selection.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Both D&W and Forest Hills Foods were once known for their produce but the common thread for both is that they were bought out by Spartan-Nash and they are becoming more and more like Family Fare.  I agree that Meijer does a pretty good job with produce, at least at the stores where I shop.  Of course what helps Meijer is volume.  High turnover keeps the produce fresh.    

13 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

In California, all bags are 10 cents (both paper and plastic).  State law.

I don't think Meijer should unilaterally impose a charge on bags when their competitors don't, but incentives for reusable bags is a good idea.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MJLO said:

This is a me question too.  One of the drawbacks of commuting to Grand Haven is not being able to see these things right away lol.  I'm really hoping they have the typical Midwestern things I cook with like cans of soup, and jars of sghetti sauce.  My biggest fear is that it would be an abundance of prepackaged hipster things, and not a lot of everyday practical things. 

There's definitely plenty of everyday staples for the regular home cook. The selection might be a bit more limited but you'll find plenty of cans of soup, pasta sauces, family packs of chicken, ground beef, etc ... it will definitely serve the changing neighborhood and the diverse needs of it. 

Bravo Meijer!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Forest Hills Foods used to have better produce.  Since they were purchased by Spartan Stores there appears to have been a decline in some areas.  Is it a coincidence that Spartan also owns the aforementioned Family Fare?

Went to Bridge St Market today, gates were up so not sure how parking will work.  The plastic bags were the generic "thank you!  thank you! thank you!" in red and white.  All self check out lanes

Checked it out today, it's pretty awesome. Love how it's laid out.

Learned some things: only the ground floor of the ramp is for BSM, but they're allowing people to park on the 2nd floor until the apartments open in a few weeks. No signage on the 2nd floor on how to get to the market so I saw several elderly people wandering around up there lost (like me). oops.

Otherwise hot damn it's cool. A ton of people walking there too. 

20180830_105509.thumb.jpg.e31020e20d8ae7d85e7a3660c49f1431.jpg

20180830_105412.thumb.jpg.10986f42e7e13143d7e932b0407bed5d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

Went to Bridge St Market today, gates were up so not sure how parking will work.  The plastic bags were the generic "thank you!  thank you! thank you!" in red and white.  All self check out lanes

There are full service lanes to the side of the self checkout lanes. 

16 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Do they have a full-service butcher/deli/bakery?  I'm guessing not, because I haven't seen in any pics.  BTW, I like the mural in the garage. 

I wonder with this new store up and running if SIBSCO will accelerate any possible plans for their property to the east (El Sombrero).

25 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Worker told me all self serve, maybe just at the time I was there?  No penny horse either