New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

7 hours ago, civitas said:

If any of you haven’t been to Bridge Street Market yet you should visit soon.  It is much, much, much, much more than Deep Woods Off and an amazing selection of beer.  In fact, most people find it amazing, spectacular, urban-cool, etc.  The selection is complete, fresh, local and well priced.  It is a full-service true neighborhood grocery store like none you have ever seen.  

The west side is an amazingly diverse population - economically, racially, age, education, religion, language,  etc.  Bridge Street Market is intentionally designed to meet the needs of everyone in a sincerely welcoming environment.    Jane Jacobs believed, and I agree, that the best neighborhoods are diverse in all regards.  The best places in such neighborhoods are those where we can come together as neighbors.  This grocery store is just such a unique and wonderful place.   

As for “a lot of fun”, last night (Wednesday) I walked Bridge Street from New Holland to Bridge Street Market and there were people everywhere.  All the restaurants were busy and people were hanging out on the sidewalks just enjoying the vib.   Bridge Street Market is already drawing even more people to the street.  If you haven’t been on Bridge Street in a year, you’ve never been on Bridge Street.  Many more exciting changes are coming.  Come see for yourself.  

I’ll admit that I’ve been working on concepts and planning for this project for many years.  As such my opinion is biased. I’m thrilled to see it open.  I’ve also had the opportunity to work on many other transformational projects over my 50 year career.  This is one that I’m very excited about.   I love it.  

My point was in defense of the DTMarket and not a dig on BSM at all. And I seriously did buy OFF and beer there, which you can't get at the DTMT. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2018 at 4:31 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Mitten Brewing is expanding its Leonard Street location, in the planning commission agenda (but no details yet). Anyone know what they're planning? 

Approval to expand the floor area of an existing production facility and allow the on-site tasting and retail sales of beer in association with brewery tours at the facility.

Looks like it to make more beer and allow tours. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

Approval to expand the floor area of an existing production facility and allow the on-site tasting and retail sales of beer in association with brewery tours at the facility.

Heard the same exact thing. Its been removed from the agenda and was administratively approved. 

Bring on the Country Strong IPA!

5 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

Yeah, I saw that. :P I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it entails. It seems like they're pretty much land-locked, are they expanding into their parking lot? Or making the upstairs more usable? 

3 hours ago, mjak68 said:

Interesting take on how the housing shortage is affecting GRPS programs.   Not the flashiest project, but I think it’s a good neighborhood development.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/new-apartments-could-help-end-housing-crisis-in-gr/1422251744

That's just part of the $40 Million Project Roosevelt that Habitat is spearheading. 

Grand Rapids Community Foundation, who started the Challenge Scholars program at Harrison Park Elementary, is really struggling with this issue of families being displaced on the West Side. To earn the Challenge Scholars free college award, kids have to stay all the way through high school in that West Side part of GRPS (feeder to Union High School) and maintain certain academics. But many of the families at Harrison Park are renters, who are being subjected to huge rent increases because of all of the development pressure on the West Side. Some as much as 50 - 60% rent increases in one year, and higher. And getting the landlords and out-of-town investors to let go of these properties and allow people to buy them is not working, as the values of the homes are skyrocketing so much. 

The article headline says this will help "end" the housing crisis but I don't see that happening any time soon. It will help, but not help "end" it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's just part of the $40 Million Project Roosevelt that Habitat is spearheading. 

Grand Rapids Community Foundation, who started the Challenge Scholars program at Harrison Park Elementary, is really struggling with this issue of families being displaced on the West Side. To earn the Challenge Scholars free college award, kids have to stay all the way through high school in that West Side part of GRPS (feeder to Union High School) and maintain certain academics. But many of the families at Harrison Park are renters, who are being subjected to huge rent increases because of all of the development pressure on the West Side. Some as much as 50 - 60% rent increases in one year, and higher. And getting the landlords and out-of-town investors to let go of these properties and allow people to buy them is not working, as the values of the homes are skyrocketing so much. 

The article headline says this will help "end" the housing crisis but I don't see that happening any time soon. It will help, but not help "end" it. 

Thanks for this.  I love to see development.  And I love to see the community addressing concerns of those negatively affected by it.  It’s the right thing to do economically and socially.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Actually, this is not a part of Habitat’s Roosevelt Plaza project.  This is a partnership between the Kent County Land Bank and Dwelling Place.  The land bank secured all of the properties to pave the way for this development.  We have owned the parcels for over 2 years.

Obviously you are correct, this will only make a dent in the housing crisis, especially in this neighborhood.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yeah, I saw that. :P I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it entails. It seems like they're pretty much land-locked, are they expanding into their parking lot? Or making the upstairs more usable? 

Expansion in their production facility across Leonard. Looking to do a lot more barrel aging and sours. Looking forward to some tasty things!

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

748 Leonard NW (old Horse Shoeing building) is going to be a Cricket Wireless. There’s also a new bar / music lounge called Turnstiles opening up at I believe 528(?) Leonard NW.

Anyone have any insight as to what’s going on with the fenced off back area of Ralph’s?

City shows: TWO SMALL ADDITIONS AT ENTRANCE AREAS WITH SITE IMPROVEMENTS TO MATCH EXISTING BUILDING, INTERIOR REMODEL INCLUDING DEMOLITION, NEW WALLS & EQUIPMENT, NEW FLOOR SLAB IN FORMER TENANT SPACE TO WEST, NEW MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

You and me both. That place was a dump when I was a kid going to school at St. James and it's a dump now. Good riddance. 

3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I see the GVSU Innovation Center by the Y is underway. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, the coffee factory owned by GVSU now. 

Were there any redenderings for this?  I remember vaguely hearing but I don't remember what they were going to do.