Jump to content

GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Do they have a full-service butcher/deli/bakery?  I'm guessing not, because I haven't seen in any pics.  BTW, I like the mural in the garage. 

 I wonder with this new store up and running if SIBSCO will accelerate any possible plans for their property to the east (El Sombrero).

No deli/butcher/fish monger counter. Plenty of sliced deli meats, salamis, cheese, etc ... packaged for sale. Fish and meat are prepped off-site and brought in daily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Not much to dislike here! If I was meijer I probably would have had a little more “free marketing” such as the grocery bags and maybe small symbol saying “Bridge street market brought to you by Meijer” also which they would have gotten ahold of that crappy BP gas station, cleaned it up and branded it over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of markets, I wonder if this is going to seriously affect the "Downtown Market" in a big way despite them being on opposite sides of DT?

I was hoping that a place like this would have opened next to it instead of a parking lot that did.

 

Maybe the Downtown Market will have to seriously revamp its mission or I'm not sure what. I just dont see the reason to go there with this opening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Speaking of markets, I wonder if this is going to seriously affect the "Downtown Market" in a big way despite them being on opposite sides of DT?

I was hoping that a place like this would have opened next to it instead of a parking lot that did.

 

Maybe the Downtown Market will have to seriously revamp its mission or I'm not sure what. I just dont see the reason to go there with this opening.

They are very different "Markets"  One is a grocery store  the other is a mini-mall of shops.   Most vendors in the Downtown Market sell ready to eat, take home type food.  

I don't think they compete really at all.  Maybe for fish?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

They are very different "Markets"  One is a grocery store  the other is a mini-mall of shops.   Most vendors in the Downtown Market sell ready to eat, take home type food.  

I don't think they compete really at all.  Maybe for fish?

I suppose they are really different experiences, but all things considered, why bother going to the DT Market when you can get much of the same stuff at an actual DT-ish Meijer with regular groceries, better prices, and a better parking deal?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Do they have a full-service butcher/deli/bakery?  I'm guessing not, because I haven't seen in any pics.  BTW, I like the mural in the garage. 

 I wonder with this new store up and running if SIBSCO will accelerate any possible plans for their property to the east (El Sombrero).

They have a fully stocked meat section.  They don't have a meat counter.  It's fairly large, though the selection is more limited compared to a full size Meijer.  I could find almost all meat I typically buy.  The only meat I couldn't find was pork tenderloin in a 2-4lb  cut.  They did have ready to cook pre-cut pork tenderloin in vacuum sealed packages(similar price per pound), which I could  work with.    The only other thing that I couldn't find that I typically buy at regular Meijer was a 2lb bag of pre-cut brocolli.   Adjusting a couple parts of the routine and I have no reason to go anywhere but walk for my groceries, booze, and daily supplies :tw_love:

 

40 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

Worker told me all self serve, maybe just at the time I was there?  No penny horse either

Ahh ok,  When I was there last night it I thought there was a small cashier area similar to what you see at Trader Joes, it must have just been associates helping people use the self check out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I suppose they are really different experiences, but all things considered, why bother going to the DT Market when you can get much of the same stuff at an actual DT-ish Meijer with regular groceries, better prices, and a better parking deal?

What are you talking about? Have you been to the Downtown Market lately? 

Other than architectural styles I can't really think of how they are similar at all. And parking at the DTMarket is free for a 1/2 hour and then $2/hour after that. Not really that expensive. 

I was there this past Sunday and it was packed, as in hard to walk through the aisles packed. I think the BSM will be just as packed on weekends. In fact I can see it being a social scene for some on weekend evenings. They are two entirely different places. And without being too judgmental,  I would say half the people at the BSM I saw shopping there today would be what I consider "disadvantaged," while the other half was upper middle class. It was an interesting dichotomy.

Downtown Market is not that. On Sunday I took my daughter out to lunch at the DTMT and bought a few things at the meat market. It was a lot of fun. Today at BSM I bought Deep Woods Off for a trip up north and stocked up on my favorite beers. Not.the.same. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never seen Miss Chiquita Banana at the Downtown Market.  :) 

Photo was taken as an inside joke with the mural artist about there being no bananas in her art.  

Miss Banana was a little concerned when I invited her out into the parking deck.   Lol 

ECFF75A1-A23C-4224-827C-A890E7D457BF.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, civitas said:

If any of you haven’t been to Bridge Street Market yet you should visit soon.  It is much, much, much, much more than Deep Woods Off and an amazing selection of beer.  In fact, most people find it amazing, spectacular, urban-cool, etc.  The selection is complete, fresh, local and well priced.  It is a full-service true neighborhood grocery store like none you have ever seen.  

The west side is an amazingly diverse population - economically, racially, age, education, religion, language,  etc.  Bridge Street Market is intentionally designed to meet the needs of everyone in a sincerely welcoming environment.    Jane Jacobs believed, and I agree, that the best neighborhoods are diverse in all regards.  The best places in such neighborhoods are those where we can come together as neighbors.  This grocery store is just such a unique and wonderful place.   

As for “a lot of fun”, last night (Wednesday) I walked Bridge Street from New Holland to Bridge Street Market and there were people everywhere.  All the restaurants were busy and people were hanging out on the sidewalks just enjoying the vib.   Bridge Street Market is already drawing even more people to the street.  If you haven’t been on Bridge Street in a year, you’ve never been on Bridge Street.  Many more exciting changes are coming.  Come see for yourself.  

I’ll admit that I’ve been working on concepts and planning for this project for many years.  As such my opinion is biased. I’m thrilled to see it open.  I’ve also had the opportunity to work on many other transformational projects over my 50 year career.  This is one that I’m very excited about.   I love it.  

My point was in defense of the DTMarket and not a dig on BSM at all. And I seriously did buy OFF and beer there, which you can't get at the DTMT. :)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mitten Brewing is expanding its Leonard Street location, in the planning commission agenda (but no details yet). Anyone know what they're planning? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2018 at 4:31 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Mitten Brewing is expanding its Leonard Street location, in the planning commission agenda (but no details yet). Anyone know what they're planning? 

Nope, but I'm on it! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2018 at 4:31 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Mitten Brewing is expanding its Leonard Street location, in the planning commission agenda (but no details yet). Anyone know what they're planning? 

Approval to expand the floor area of an existing production facility and allow the on-site tasting and retail sales of beer in association with brewery tours at the facility.

Looks like it to make more beer and allow tours. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

Approval to expand the floor area of an existing production facility and allow the on-site tasting and retail sales of beer in association with brewery tours at the facility.

Looks like it to make more beer and allow tours. 

Heard the same exact thing. Its been removed from the agenda and was administratively approved. 

 

Bring on the Country Strong IPA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

Approval to expand the floor area of an existing production facility and allow the on-site tasting and retail sales of beer in association with brewery tours at the facility.

Looks like it to make more beer and allow tours. 

Yeah, I saw that. :P I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it entails. It seems like they're pretty much land-locked, are they expanding into their parking lot? Or making the upstairs more usable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjak68 said:

Interesting take on how the housing shortage is affecting GRPS programs.   Not the flashiest project, but I think it’s a good neighborhood development.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/new-apartments-could-help-end-housing-crisis-in-gr/1422251744

That's just part of the $40 Million Project Roosevelt that Habitat is spearheading. 

Grand Rapids Community Foundation, who started the Challenge Scholars program at Harrison Park Elementary, is really struggling with this issue of families being displaced on the West Side. To earn the Challenge Scholars free college award, kids have to stay all the way through high school in that West Side part of GRPS (feeder to Union High School) and maintain certain academics. But many of the families at Harrison Park are renters, who are being subjected to huge rent increases because of all of the development pressure on the West Side. Some as much as 50 - 60% rent increases in one year, and higher. And getting the landlords and out-of-town investors to let go of these properties and allow people to buy them is not working, as the values of the homes are skyrocketing so much. 

The article headline says this will help "end" the housing crisis but I don't see that happening any time soon. It will help, but not help "end" it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's just part of the $40 Million Project Roosevelt that Habitat is spearheading. 

Grand Rapids Community Foundation, who started the Challenge Scholars program at Harrison Park Elementary, is really struggling with this issue of families being displaced on the West Side. To earn the Challenge Scholars free college award, kids have to stay all the way through high school in that West Side part of GRPS (feeder to Union High School) and maintain certain academics. But many of the families at Harrison Park are renters, who are being subjected to huge rent increases because of all of the development pressure on the West Side. Some as much as 50 - 60% rent increases in one year, and higher. And getting the landlords and out-of-town investors to let go of these properties and allow people to buy them is not working, as the values of the homes are skyrocketing so much. 

The article headline says this will help "end" the housing crisis but I don't see that happening any time soon. It will help, but not help "end" it. 

Thanks for this.  I love to see development.  And I love to see the community addressing concerns of those negatively affected by it.  It’s the right thing to do economically and socially.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's just part of the $40 Million Project Roosevelt that Habitat is spearheading. 

Actually, this is not a part of Habitat’s Roosevelt Plaza project.  This is a partnership between the Kent County Land Bank and Dwelling Place.  The land bank secured all of the properties to pave the way for this development.  We have owned the parcels for over 2 years.

The article headline says this will help "end" the housing crisis but I don't see that happening any time soon. It will help, but not help "end" it. 

Obviously you are correct, this will only make a dent in the housing crisis, especially in this neighborhood.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KCLBADave said:

 

Doh!  I was mixing it up with Dwelling Place's mixed use portion of Project Roosevelt project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yeah, I saw that. :P I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it entails. It seems like they're pretty much land-locked, are they expanding into their parking lot? Or making the upstairs more usable? 

Expansion in their production facility across Leonard. Looking to do a lot more barrel aging and sours. Looking forward to some tasty things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fulton Place (at Fulton and Seward) is getting a Pizza Hut at 616 Fulton St W. In case people see work going on, that's what it is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

748 Leonard NW (old Horse Shoeing building) is going to be a Cricket Wireless. There’s also a new bar / music lounge called Turnstiles opening up at I believe 528(?) Leonard NW.

Anyone have any insight as to what’s going on with the fenced off back area of Ralph’s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.