GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

12 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

748 Leonard NW (old Horse Shoeing building) is going to be a Cricket Wireless. There’s also a new bar / music lounge called Turnstiles opening up at I believe 528(?) Leonard NW.

Anyone have any insight as to what’s going on with the fenced off back area of Ralph’s?

City shows: TWO SMALL ADDITIONS AT ENTRANCE AREAS WITH SITE IMPROVEMENTS TO MATCH EXISTING BUILDING, INTERIOR REMODEL INCLUDING DEMOLITION, NEW WALLS & EQUIPMENT, NEW FLOOR SLAB IN FORMER TENANT SPACE TO WEST, NEW MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

You and me both. That place was a dump when I was a kid going to school at St. James and it's a dump now. Good riddance. 

3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I see the GVSU Innovation Center by the Y is underway. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, the coffee factory owned by GVSU now. 

Were there any redenderings for this?  I remember vaguely hearing but I don't remember what they were going to do. 

1 minute ago, MJLO said:

Were there any redenderings for this?  I remember vaguely hearing but I don't remember what they were going to do. 

I added a link to the website in my post. ;)

Ahh ok, so they are basically utilizing the existing structure.  I imagine there won't be a lot of modifications to the property based on what I see. 

I was in Ferris on Monday and the shop side is winding down and getting ready to move to their new location on Seward. The employee stated that the space will be filled with more seating for the coffee shop. 

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

I was in Ferris on Monday and the shop side is winding down and getting ready to move to their new location on Seward. The employee stated that the space will be filled with more seating for the coffee shop. 

How will Roots continue on?

3 hours ago, MJLO said:

Ahh ok, so they are basically utilizing the existing structure.  I imagine there won't be a lot of modifications to the property based on what I see. 

Yeah, it's a wasted opportunity to add to the streetscape by leaving this as basically the same cold dead and featureless industrial box that it is now.

Honestly how enjoyable will it be to be there if you cant even see outside?

Edited by GR_Urbanist

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Yeah, it's a wasted opportunity to add to the streetscape by leaving this as basically the same cold dead and featureless industrial box that it is now.

Honestly how enjoyable will it be to be there if you cant even see outside?

When I look at the site plan, it looks like a lot of windows are going to be added for the classroom space, and the areas where there aren't a lot of windows are "Industry Partnering and Student Project" spaces. ie, somewhat like Geek Group where it's going to be a lot of industrial-level experimentation.  ie let's test the strength of a steel I-beam. 

I think it's great, GVSU's campus is becoming huge downtown. And who says that GVSU won't do something completely different down the road. I actually wish they were leaving the coffee shop. 

16 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I've use this gas stations since its near my home. I would have to say that the clerks their are nice. But given its decrepit state, it would be very nice to see the gas station replaced with something better. So I am very much looking forward to this coming to fruition. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

When I look at the site plan, it looks like a lot of windows are going to be added for the classroom space, and the areas where there aren't a lot of windows are "Industry Partnering and Student Project" spaces. ie, somewhat like Geek Group where it's going to be a lot of industrial-level experimentation.  ie let's test the strength of a steel I-beam. 

I think it's great, GVSU's campus is becoming huge downtown. And who says that GVSU won't do something completely different down the road. I actually wish they were leaving the coffee shop. 

The coffee shop is staying but the gift/candy/nuts shop is moving. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

The coffee shop is staying but the gift/candy/nuts shop is moving. 

Oh that's cool. It's always pretty busy. 

Anyone know when the other apartment building is going to start at the Meijer project? (shown in the Meijer gas station pictured above)

Does anyone know the status of the proposed Consumers Energy office?  They have put of temporary plastic orange fencing around portions of the 501 Alabama property.  Currently they are replacing the side walk along  the Alabama side of the property.   I'm not sure that I remember a side walk being replaced before they were to start work on a project like that.  Usually it seems things like sidewalks  are some of the last details finished in these types of projects, though I can't say that I've ever payed close attention.    There hasn't been much information since this was initially announced in March, has it stalled?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MJLO said:

Does anyone know the status of the proposed Consumers Energy office?  They have put of temporary plastic orange fencing around portions of the 501 Alabama property.  Currently they are replacing the side walk along  the Alabama side of the property.   I'm not sure that I remember a side walk being replaced before they were to start work on a project like that.  Usually it seems things like sidewalks  are some of the last details finished in these types of projects, though I can't say that I've ever payed close attention.    There hasn't been much information since this was initially announced in March, has it stalled?

Article says ground-breaking later in 2019 with a 2020 completion:

https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/03/consumers_energy_to_build_20m.html

In my experience working with Consumers on the construction side, add 3 - 6 months to the schedule. :)

I believe this rendering shows entrance facing 1st Street,  just east of Stockbridge, and the new Meijer gas station.   Second render faces Stockbridge.

185057c39962b9ace310c88446bcc4c7_XL.jpg

1f1_view2a0022p.jpeg

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

I remember someone from ICCF telling me about this project back in April of 2016. I posted about it online and someone else higher up at ICCF was not thrilled their employee had leaked the news. Anyway, I think it looks nice and will really complete the new development on that block.

7 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I remember someone from ICCF telling me about this project back in April of 2016. I posted about it online and someone else higher up at ICCF was not thrilled their employee had leaked the news. Anyway, I think it looks nice and will really complete the new development on that block.

I remember presentations to the NA back in 2016 and now its exciting to finally see it come to fruition. One of the exciting aspects of this project is the variation in bedrooms of the affordable housing apartments usually you see studios and one bedrooms, maybe the occasional two bedroom place but the addition of three bedroom units will be fantastic. I seem to recall a presentation from ICCF where they stated they already had a waiting list hundreds of applicants long. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Yes it's in the Challenge Scholars Zone I believe (GRCF). Not surprising. 

59 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yes it's in the Challenge Scholars Zone I believe (GRCF). Not surprising. 

Yep, right in the middle of the Challenge Scholar zone. Double bonus!

• Like 2

I really like the looks of them! 8/10

I have only heard good things about the ICCF so lets hope they look as good as they do on paper. 

I believe ICCF is doing the old eastern elementary school as well. Glad they saved that building from falling to shambles. Nature and no maintenance gets to a building realllly quickly.   

• Like 1

....And can someone ask the crappy Dollar General across the street (on Stockbridge) to clean up their act and put some plate glass windows in?!?!   Oh, that's right, nobody can tell Dollar General what to do.  Please continue with your crappiness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2