GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

4 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

The apartments inside the school look great! As a former student of St. James, I'm so glad to see this property repurposed. Looking forward to some more activity in that area. 

The school is a beautiful building. 

Anyone know anything about the Edge Flats project at 59 Seward? It was awarded LIHTC credits from the State. 34 unit townhomes. I wonder if it's the same proposal that was put forward back in 2008 that got shot down? 

5 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The school is a beautiful building. 

Anyone know anything about the Edge Flats project at 59 Seward? It was awarded LIHTC credits from the State. 34 unit townhomes. I wonder if it's the same proposal that was put forward back in 2008 that got shot down? 

The school is quite beautiful and durable, my Mom went there too. 

I'm not sure about the 2008 proposal but the Edge Flats proposal came through our NA right before my tenure ended and they seemed to have it pretty well together. I'm at work right now and don't have any of the details  with me but I'll check my notes later. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but the Harrison Park apartments on Alpine topped out on their stairwells and it looks like its going to be a pretty good sized building.  Sorry no pics.

In my 2019 predictions, I talked about a West Side live "music village."  I drive through that area near Douglas St 3 or 4 x a week going to the Y, and the vision finally hit me this week.  But instead of just live music, it would be an open air market mixed with restaurants, live music venues, a farmers market of sorts (something that people wanted out of the Downtown Market but didn't quite hit it). If you've been to the Eastern Market area in Detroit, it might help to see it.

See if you can see it too.  It would involved vacating the short stretch of Douglas between Summer and Winter. (lol) and keeping most of the existing buildings relatively intact. New construction could be added in the vicinity and on the city lots.  With the Circuit West campus going in North of Bridge, which who knows what that will include in addition to Consumers Energy, this could be epic (a game changer.) :) 

8907876_DouglasStreet5.thumb.JPG.d0c79e9d16e74c40c59be21ae9b9f429.JPG

306835087_DouglasStreet4.thumb.JPG.29366f4646a8e12de7475488a2b4ea58.JPG

1067145902_Douglasstreet3.thumb.JPG.3995c5276d9416e0532a97c75134e137.JPG

1241127331_DouglasStreet2.thumb.JPG.ddd790558e52a5c4aab2de8c828d38a3.JPG968534256_DouglasStreet1.thumb.JPG.e837ae46b82aaf21e2d7f938e193c048.JPG

• Like 2

You have no idea how many times I've shared the same vision with others! It is literally set-up like  "district" and you can just imagine all the uses it could have. I also absolutely love the art supply store, because I can imagine it being painted black with huge glass doors opening to what is now its parking, and having it be some kind of epic establishment as well. I love that area and have spent a lot of time thinking the same thoughts you have!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

In my 2019 predictions, I talked about a West Side live "music village."  I drive through that area near Douglas St 3 or 4 x a week going to the Y, and the vision finally hit me this week.  But instead of just live music, it would be an open air market mixed with restaurants, live music venues, a farmers market of sorts (something that people wanted out of the Downtown Market but didn't quite hit it). If you've been to the Eastern Market area in Detroit, it might help to see it.

See if you can see it too.  It would involved vacating the short stretch of Douglas between Summer and Winter. (lol) and keeping most of the existing buildings relatively intact. New construction could be added in the vicinity and on the city lots.  With the Circuit West campus going in North of Bridge, which who knows what that will include in addition to Consumers Energy, this could be epic (a game changer.) :) 

I agree this would be fantastic.  I was walking up Stocking yesterday afternoon and thought that it also is ripe for the taking.  There is so much opportunity in the blocks both north and south of Bridge St.  to continue the "West Villiage" momentum.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

You have no idea how many times I've shared the same vision with others! It is literally set-up like  "district" and you can just imagine all the uses it could have. I also absolutely love the art supply store, because I can imagine it being painted black with huge glass doors opening to what is now its parking, and having it be some kind of epic establishment as well. I love that area and have spent a lot of time thinking the same thoughts you have!

Let's get r dun! 

There are so many little alleyways and alcoves that create little outdoor "rooms" for different uses. Call the whole thing the Summer - Winter Market. lol.  I think it's what they envisioned happening around the Downtown Market but it ended up just being a bunch of affordable housing (so far). 

Forward Craft Metal owns a big chunk of buildings South of Douglas. Otherwise I think much of the rest of it is owned by Swift Printing (Walt Gutowski)

2024004600_DouglasStreet6.thumb.JPG.8da246e96079574839c882d089cbea4b.JPG

1279205807_DouglasStreetreno.thumb.jpg.98ec14c52cb5dd381944a134a776c0b9.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeSchmo said:

Match this with the idea of Bridge St going to a curbless "shared" street .

I loved that idea when it came out (maybe out of GR Forward or some other planning project). Now that we're seeing Bridge St. mature into a mostly-fully functioning neighborhood, it's hard to imagine parts of the street being closed, even on the weekends for any portion of time. 

Dave and Paul (owners of Butchers Union) own the two buildings behind Butchers. (I believe that front in the alley?) They’re planning to develop them into two different concepts in the next 1 - 3 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Dave and Paul (owners of Butchers Union) own the two buildings behind Butchers. (I believe that front in the alley?) They’re planning to develop them into two different concepts in the next 1 - 3 years. 

I saw that the Reinarts owned that one building on the North side of Douglas. Walt owns the building right behind Butcher's Union. A couple of small manufacturers own the buildings mixed into the middle. My goal is to get these people all together in the near future. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I saw that the Reinarts owned that one building on the North side of Douglas. Walt owns the building right behind Butcher's Union. A couple of small manufacturers own the buildings mixed into the middle. My goal is to get these people all together in the near future. 

I I just took a stroll through those blocks and realized my first statement was in fact incorrect, you’re right about the north side Douglas properties, when you’re wrong you’re wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I I just took a stroll through those blocks and realized my first statement was in fact incorrect, you’re right about the north side Douglas properties, when you’re wrong you’re wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

No worries, there are a lot of little buildings strewn throughout that area. 

Sort of reminds me of the Midtown Detroit area where the Shinola store and Jolly Pumpkin are. 

shinola.thumb.JPG.e5058393e9337cd10c65022b44d25e4f.JPG

https://goo.gl/maps/PnoGMbgbcUE2

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Gettin taller.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b8437020190120_130401.thumb.jpg.bad6d9754fcf799034c0cb99d477ccdf.jpg

Noticed it today from the expressway. Looks like this building will be taller than Bridge St. Market down the street?

Joe

On 1/8/2019 at 8:57 AM, GRDadof3 said:

No worries, there are a lot of little buildings strewn throughout that area. 

Sort of reminds me of the Midtown Detroit area where the Shinola store and Jolly Pumpkin are. 

shinola.thumb.JPG.e5058393e9337cd10c65022b44d25e4f.JPG

The BEFORE image below from  Google 2009 (when this was considered part of the slummy Cass Corridor neighborhood rather than hip Midtown) looks a lot like the west side does now with all the low-rise small manufacturing buildings.  I slid the image over a little to include the front door of one of my favorite Detroit restaurants, Traffic Jam & Snug.  It's been there since 1965.  I started going there in 1978 when I lived a few blocks to the north.  Still go there every time I am in Detroit.  I guess I was an early trend setter.  

2117491616_TRAFFICJAMANDSNUG2009.thumb.png.382c06db71fe40be00f6cf89b6927cba.png 

I recommend this place if you are looking for  a good place to eat or drink.  They say they were the first brewpub in Michigan.  Here's their website:

traffic jam detroit

Edited by walker

8 hours ago, walker said:

The BEFORE image below from  Google 2009 (when this was considered part of the slummy Cass Corridor neighborhood rather than hip Midtown) looks a lot like the west side does now with all the low-rise small manufacturing buildings.  I slid the image over a little to include the front door of one of my favorite Detroit restaurants, Traffic Jam & Snug.  It's been there since 1965.  I started going there in 1978 when I lived a few blocks to the north.  Still go there every time I am in Detroit.  I guess I was an early trend setter.  

2117491616_TRAFFICJAMANDSNUG2009.thumb.png.382c06db71fe40be00f6cf89b6927cba.png 

I recommend this place if you are looking for  a good place to eat or drink.  They say they were the first brewpub in Michigan.  Here's their website:

traffic jam detroit

That was my thought too.  Avalon Bakery around the corner from there I also highly recommend, which is also in a low slung industrial building. 

1977249389_AvalonBakery.thumb.JPG.51588bd50017ded29b68a79982711d5d.JPG

16 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

“Circuit West” on the west side has been completed. Pretty cool. It’ll be interesting to see if it is expanded when Consumers builds their building  

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/01/5m-solar-project-on-grand-rapids-west-side-completed.html

Joe

I'm told that the Consumer Energy regional headquarters start date has been delayed, again, to the 4th quarter of 2019.  Wonder why?  

18 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I'm told that the Consumer Energy regional headquarters start date has been delayed, again, to the 4th quarter of 2019.  Wonder why?  

That's strange. The site has been prepped for a while and it looks like there's construction trailers on site, although those may have been for the Circuit West project. 

More stair/elevator towers. They're becoming a staple around here. This is next to the Hendrik (name escapes me). 

20190213_101147.thumb.jpg.104555106094b9674eee6f6c4cc4f305.jpg

59 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

More stair/elevator towers. They're becoming a staple around here. This is next to the Hendrik (name escapes me). 

20190213_101147.thumb.jpg.104555106094b9674eee6f6c4cc4f305.jpg

It's the ICCF mixed income project. Don't remember if it had a name yet. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 2:19 PM, mpchicago said:

I attended an engineering group  lunch meeting yesterday. The topic was "Circuit West". The presenters were a couple Consumers engineers and Roger Morganstern their PR guy (he's a hoot when he's not telling how many customers are out of power:) )

They were upfront about the cost. This is an urban  test "center" so to speak where they can experiment with and test solar panels, batteries, inverters, "dead face" switch gear and new technology to bury power cables.  They need someone like Rockford who was willing put the panels on a private development. This is also one of the reasons their new building is located there, so the engineers and R&D people are right at the "test center". There is the potential to add to "Circuit West" if there's demand.

Edited by Raildude's dad
  • Like 3