New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Ralph’s is remodeling, is it me or didn’t this just happen in the last two years...?

They only remodeled the outside before.  Now they are expanding into the space next door as well, but it does seem that they had to replace parts of what they remodeled on the outside.

I was 'almost' as excited when I heard they were going to replace that gas station as the Bridge St Meijer itself.  That gas station was one of those that made you feel like you needed a shower if you had to go in. 

On another note, the Pine School on Leonard (and Pine) is fenced in and getting ready to be bulldozed very shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I believe that's the old elementary school on Pine Ave?

It was Pine Academy.  I think it at one point was used an alternative school and originally it was Grand Rapids Christian High School West Side Christian.

Yesterday you could see into the gym from the outside and see the basketball hoops.

Edited by JoeSchmo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeSchmo said:

It was Pine Academy.  I think it at one point was used an alternative school and originally it was Grand Rapids Christian High School.  

Yesterday you could see into the gym from the outside and see the basketball hoops.

It was the Pine Street building for West Side Christian School.  My daughter did kindergarten there, then moved to the "new" building on Westend NW and they closed the Pine St building.  Grand Rapids Christian High was at Madison and Franklin. They never had a  building on the West Side much to the disappointment of the CRC folks on the West Side. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious, are there any plans in the works at Alpine and Ann?  Enterprise scrap metal and Baker Auto Parts  are no more.  I see a lot of work going on clearing the space at Baker.  Also the auto sales place across the street moved all their vehicles off the property.  There seems to be a lot of land that could be up for grabs or perhaps is already in process?

Weller is putting a you wrench it facility on the old Baker site. Cars on racks, you remove you own used parts. At a certain point, the carcass goes to the Padnos shredder. Across the street Ann St Auto was "bought" by AutoStart. They just closed that location and the signs in the window say "moved to xxx S Division".  The cars are being trucked away this week. Jackson Financial to the east which seemed to be part of Ann Street Auto turned into a salvage yard on the property and in the street on the side street. I filed several complaints with GR about that eyesore. It looks closed now as well.

Evans Product building is for sale. That's a good sized piece on the market. The Enterprise site is a mess. It  was McDonald Diecast, a plating operation before that. Enterprise ran pretty messy operation as well, The property needs a lot of environmental cleanup.

Edited by Raildude's dad
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 10:09 PM, joeDowntown said:

Updated pic of the old Red Lion site:

2268F3C7-51C5-4C19-865D-7E0881F28085.jpeg

Yesterday, from my work, I believe i saw thick smoke coming from this site and what appeared to be firetrucks spraying water on it. But I never heard a peep in the media about it. 

Am I wrong about what I saw? Did I see something normal and think the worst?

3 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Yesterday, from my work, I believe i saw thick smoke coming from this site and what appeared to be firetrucks spraying water on it. But I never heard a peep in the media about it. 

Am I wrong about what I saw? Did I see something normal and think the worst?

If that's the case, could not have a better location to have a fire.... :)    This is the only story I found fires in town, and they were on the westside.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/04/five-suspicious-fires-under-investigation-in-grand-rapids.html

There were plenty of fires yesterday from arson ...most of them were car/garage fires closer to Leonard though..near 11th and 12th streets.   The one on Powers, between  11th and 12th,  happened between 1pm and 3pm and I think would have been the most visible one.  From my understanding that particular fire  leveled 2 garages, a car and a Harley. 

Here's some more info on Consumers Energy's plans. I thought they were building on the parcel that's fenced in right now, but they're building on the parking lot on the West side of Alabama.

PROJECT OVERVIEW: Construction of a seven story office building with an integrated parking ramp. Located at 501 Alabama Ave, the land area of the project is approximately 0.63 acres, bounded on the north by an office building, on the east by empty lots which were previously single family homes, on the west by rail road tracks, and on the south by apartment buildings, with frontage to the east on Alabama Ave. The property is zoned Traditional Neighborhood – City Center (TN-CC). Surrounding properties are all zoned TN-CC as well. The Applicant (Consumers Energy Company) is requesting Special Land Use approval from the Planning Commission as allowed under Sections 5.10.04.D.1 and 5.12.09 of the Zoning Ordinance, to allow parking spaces above the maximum number specified in the ordinance.

No actual plans or renderings of the building, just a site plan. 

1393317269_ConsEnergySitePlan.thumb.JPG.3ad3552adc95230964e06c3e20fba67d.JPG

There's a huge traffic impact study for those interested (starts on page 215):

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=3946&Inline=True