New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

5 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

For at least several weeks it doesn't appear that ANYTHING has changed here...we've been wondering what's going on...

I also walk buy this site everyday, it doesn’t seem anything has changed in almost a month. I also don’t hear any noice coming from the building to suggest interior work is being done. The same building materials have been out front for nearly a month now as well. I’ve made this same statement before but this project has always seemed to be dragging in comparison to other projects in the city.

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

My guess is labor shortage. This is being built by an out-of-town contractor I believe (?). Probably even harder for them to get local subs lined up. 

Responding to myself, yes Kincaid Henry out of East Lansing. I did see someone working on the balconies today. 

I heard confirmation of my suspicions. The Red Lion project is stalled.

Restaurant is no longer planned. 

Apparently the partners are not committing any more money to the project and it is in jeopardy of being abandoned.

Also - Dadd's Magic Bus properties are officially listed for sale.

• Confused 1

Advanced issues found

1 hour ago, localtalent said:

Apparently the partners are not committing any more money to the project and it is in jeopardy of being abandoned.

What?!    Is Jolly Pumpkin not doing well, and they have decided to get out while they can?   Seems odd to put this much into a project and abandon it on a red hot block, in a red hot economy.   What's the story?

Interesting that the Dadds properties are for sale now.  I bet the developer of New Holland and Barley flats would have loved to have those parcels for development.  It would be great to get some significant height in the area, I'd even take 12 stories.  With the location of the parcels you need quite a bit of height for a significant view.  The parcels are surrounded by the church, 131, and Barley Flats.

I wonder how long the remaining residential property and church owners will hold out for.  St. Mary's (the church) allows New Holland employees to use their parking lot during the week, not sure if they charge or not.

It's probably not a bad time to be thinking about a parking structure for the future.  The lot behind the fire station would be perfect.

1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

Interesting that the Dadds properties are for sale now.  I bet the developer of New Holland and Barley flats would have loved to have those parcels for development.  It would be great to get some significant height in the area, I'd even take 12 stories.  With the location of the parcels you need quite a bit of height for a significant view.  The parcels are surrounded by the church, 131, and Barley Flats.

I wonder how long the remaining residential property and church owners will hold out for.  St. Mary's (the church) allows New Holland employees to use their parking lot during the week, not sure if they charge or not.

It's probably not a bad time to be thinking about a parking structure for the future.  The lot behind the fire station would be perfect.

Well the developer of Barley Flats and New Holland is Rockford Construction  who are one of the biggest movers on the GR development scene.  They definitely have the means to acquire the dadd's properties.  This isn't the first time the Dadd's properties have been put on the market.  IIRC the last time they were put up they were asking a ridiculously high amount for them.  My assumption is that the parcel while convenient, isn't necessary for Rockford's master plan of the neighborhood or they would have already acquired it without it having to go to market.   It's pretty clear we are entering a slow point from a development standpoint, I wouldn't expect much more construction on Bridge St. after the current projects wrap up.  At least in the short term. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

Well the developer of Barley Flats and New Holland is Rockford Construction  who are one of the biggest movers on the GR development scene.  They definitely have the means to acquire the dadd's properties.  This isn't the first time the Dadd's properties have been put on the market.  IIRC the last time they were put up they were asking a ridiculously high amount for them.  My assumption is that the parcel while convenient, isn't necessary for Rockford's master plan of the neighborhood or they would have already acquired it without it having to go to market.   It's pretty clear we are entering a slow point from a development standpoint, I wouldn't expect much more construction on Bridge St. after the current projects wrap up.  At least in the short term. 

Yep, Dadd's wanted a crazy amount and had a cartoonish rendering of what a development could look like. It is a good location, and I'd love to see something around 10 stories. If they included parking, the "main use" of the building could sit above 131 and would have great views of the city. 

How much are they asking now?

Joe

• Like 1

10 hours ago, localtalent said:

They’re going to need to figure something out quick, all of the neighboring businesses are fed up with the sidewalk still being closed off. They were told it’d be back open by August, as in, a couple weeks from now...

1 hour ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

They’re going to need to figure something out quick, all of the neighboring businesses are fed up with the sidewalk still being closed off. They were told it’d be back open by August, as in, a couple weeks from now...

That would be shocking if true. But unless the building got tied up in courts, it’s in too good a spot for the torch to not get picked up by another company. 

Joe

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

That would be shocking if true. But unless the building got tied up in courts, it’s in too good a spot for the torch to not get picked up by another company. 

Joe

Agreed.  There are too many bigger players that have the resources to complete it.  Especially if they get it at a discount.

23 hours ago, localtalent said:

What makes you so sure of this?

@JoeSchmo No I don't honestly I also have been noticing the lack of progress with that project and was just trying to get some confirmation as to if this claim leaned more towards speculation or fact. 

4 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

Why am I having a hard time believing your username... :) 

SHHH

Edited by NotALocalDeveloper
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

@localtalent has some pretty good connections to that particular part of the west side. I'm going to believe it to be the case until someone tells me different. ;)

Joe

Thanks for the vote of confidence, @joeDowntown.

I can't reveal the specifics of the conversation or claim 100% confidence, but the information came from someone who would reasonably have knowledge of the situation.

Also, there's a chance that the Dadd's parcels get snatched up pretty quickly. But don't get too excited even if it does happen.

Several of the West Side projects are...waiting anxiously for full absorption...to put it politely. 

• Like 3