New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

13 hours ago, arcturus said:

What's the rather large structure (steel girder stage) going up around Emperor and Gelock Pl, north of Padnos?

Is it this parcel?

1602858425_ScreenShot2019-07-27at8_51_05AM.png.d2847eb6efaa4d4617d6bec2481acbdf.png

If so, then here's what's going on there: https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/projects/grand-river-aseptic-manufacturings-pharmaceutical-manufacturing-facility/

1348615029_ScreenShot2019-07-27at9_00_51AM.png.fdd348f950c625f0324b4be63b9d9da8.png

• Like 1

All this talk about this project stalling has been making me feel like i'm going crazy lol.   I'm not arguing that it's stalled or not but there IS still work going on inside.  I took this picture of this lift delivering product when I walked by yesterday afternoon.  When I walked by yesterday morning there was a drywall crew(about 10 people) receiving product as well.   I don't work in development so I have absolutely zero insight into the industry.  I don't know if stalled means work just really slows, or if it's supposed to mean work stops completely, but there are still things happening inside this project.  At least at the moment.

48421249951_611f618a80_z.jpg

• Like 1

It could mean that work is paid up to a date, or that for legal and insurance purposes, things have to be done up to a point in order to not have interior parts exposed to the elements.

It's likely it will look done on the outside, but if it is really stalled, the inside will just be left unfinished until someone else picks up the tab.

20 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It could mean that work is paid up to a date, or that for legal and insurance purposes, things have to be done up to a point in order to not have interior parts exposed to the elements.

It's likely it will look done on the outside, but if it is really stalled, the inside will just be left unfinished until someone else picks up the tab.

They were pulling in Drywall and mudding supplies.  Today the same team was working on the interior of the residential units.  I haven't seen exterior work done in quite a while.  This feels counter intuitive to what you're suggesting. 

• Like 1

I suspect certain things are already paid for, and so they are progressing. Slowly. 

I'm no expert, but it seems unlikely to be good building practice to install drywall in a project that has not yet been sealed from the elements. Multiple window openings are still unfinished and not even covered to protect the interior from rain. 

I'm sure the storms we've had over the past couple of weeks have brought water into the units without windows. Many of those units have drywall hung. 

My understanding was that a small crew remained with the task of 'securing' the project. They've also been hanging cheap plastic in window and door openings, presumably to try to protect the interior from the elements. 

Trust me, this project is a disaster.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, localtalent said:

I suspect certain things are already paid for, and so they are progressing. Slowly. 

I'm no expert, but it seems unlikely to be good building practice to install drywall in a project that has not yet been sealed from the elements. Multiple window openings are still unfinished and not even covered to protect the interior from rain. 

I'm sure the storms we've had over the past couple of weeks have brought water into the units without windows. Many of those units have drywall hung. 

My understanding was that a small crew remained with the task of 'securing' the project. They've also been hanging cheap plastic in window and door openings, presumably to try to protect the interior from the elements. 

Trust me, this project is a disaster.

Looking GR Building Eye, they are at least still progressing with permits. Electrical was pulled on July 8th with rough-in progress inspection on July 26th. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke with regional manager for North Peak while visiting TC location.   He said they dropped out of the Red Lyon site because, Jolly Pumpkin, while self sustaining is not doing as well as they would like and decided not to add more to their plate in GR.  He says they are going to look at reworking JP with a bit more sophisticated menu.  Those are my words based on our conversation.   He mentioned Butchers Union killing it with their concept and I think he wants to add a little of that to JP.   I think they were part owners of this building and are trying to sell the unfinished space now.   What a bummer.  

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Just spoke with regional manager for North Peak while visiting TC location.   He said they dropped out of the Red Lyon site because, Jolly Pumpkin, while self sustaining is not doing as well as they would like and decided not to add more to their plate in GR.  He says they are going to look at reworking JP with a bit more sophisticated menu.  Those are my words based on our conversation.   He mentioned Butchers Union killing it with their concept and I think he wants to add a little of that to JP.   I think they were part owners of this building and are trying to sell the unfinished space now.   What a bummer.  

I was just coming by to post that people have been working on the residential portion of the building all day today, the first time I’ve seen that in what feels like at least a month.

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

So you can just say "meh", and walk away from a multi-million dollar project?

Jolly Pumpkin has great beer, but the atmosphere needs work. I'd say Jolly Pumpkin does poorly because the concept was a little ill-conceived (first walk up ordering, then waiters, but still feels very cafeteria style). It's not surprising that it's not "doing well as they'd like", but it also doesn't seem like an impossible fix. Crazy that they'd base other restaurants off what Jolly Pumpkin is doing. 

And for what its worth, Jolly Pumpkin is my favorite beer. And even I'm not compelled to go to the Bridge street location.

North Peak is an interesting place. The Jolly Pumpkin on Old Mission Peninsula is an interesting place. I'm surprised they're throwing in the towel. I think there's way more to it than what they are saying... ;)

Joe

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

So you can just say "meh", and walk away from a multi-million dollar project?

Jolly Pumpkin has great beer, but the atmosphere needs work. I'd say Jolly Pumpkin does poorly because the concept was a little ill-conceived (first walk up ordering, then waiters, but still feels very cafeteria style). It's not surprising that it's not "doing well as they'd like", but it also doesn't seem like an impossible fix. Crazy that they'd base other restaurants off what Jolly Pumpkin is doing. 

And for what its worth, Jolly Pumpkin is my favorite beer. And even I'm not compelled to go to the Bridge street location.

North Peak is an interesting place. The Jolly Pumpkin on Old Mission Peninsula is an interesting place. I'm surprised they're throwing in the towel. I think there's way more to it than what they are saying... ;)

Joe

I couldn't agree more on your assessment of this JP location. Went once when it was still walk up and was turned off based on my prior good experiences at both NP/JP in Traverse City and walked to Butcher's Union and have not ever been back. 

It sounds like i'm the odd-man out here but I liked the walk-up style of JP. It was similar to Founders and that is what i've come to expect from places I go to looking for craft beer and casual food. I also think that their pizza is fantastic. Having said all of that, the back area is absolute dead space. 

On 8/9/2019 at 11:47 AM, demhem said:

It sounds like i'm the odd-man out here but I liked the walk-up style of JP. It was similar to Founders and that is what i've come to expect from places I go to looking for craft beer and casual food. I also think that their pizza is fantastic. Having said all of that, the back area is absolute dead space. 

We usually go on Tuesdays and the back fills up during trivia.  We always have good food there and the beer is good and different.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Now that Fulton Street is slowly reopening from all of the Laker Line related construction, I saw that Rise Bakery and Squibb Coffee is now open near the zoo. That's a really nice shot in the arm for that area. 

They've been open since spring-ish and every time I've stopped by they've been consistently busy. Albeit, I'm only ever in there on Saturdays it's still  good to see.

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

They've been open since spring-ish and every time I've stopped by they've been consistently busy. Albeit, I'm only ever in there on Saturdays it's still  good to see.

I live within walking distance of Rise/Squibb and the place is pretty consistently busy. There is also a new vintage clothing store next door and Frank's Market is moving toward that end of West Fulton into the old UAW building which they are currently renovating/expanding: Image may contain: table and outdoor

1 hour ago, demhem said:

I live within walking distance of Rise/Squibb and the place is pretty consistently busy. There is also a new vintage clothing store next door and Frank's Market is moving toward that end of West Fulton into the old UAW building which they are currently renovating/expanding: Image may contain: table and outdoor

Howdy fellow Westsider :yahoo:

I didn't notice the vintage clothing shop when I rode by there on Sunday. Will have to check it out soon. 

... WHAAAATTT!!! Frank's is moving? I'm shocked! I love the old building they're currently in but they'll be closer to my house. Do you have an idea of the timeline for Frank's?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 9:28 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Here's some more info on Consumers Energy's plans. I thought they were building on the parcel that's fenced in right now, but they're building on the parking lot on the West side of Alabama.

PROJECT OVERVIEW: Construction of a seven story office building with an integrated parking ramp. Located at 501 Alabama Ave, the land area of the project is approximately 0.63 acres, bounded on the north by an office building, on the east by empty lots which were previously single family homes, on the west by rail road tracks, and on the south by apartment buildings, with frontage to the east on Alabama Ave. The property is zoned Traditional Neighborhood – City Center (TN-CC). Surrounding properties are all zoned TN-CC as well. The Applicant (Consumers Energy Company) is requesting Special Land Use approval from the Planning Commission as allowed under Sections 5.10.04.D.1 and 5.12.09 of the Zoning Ordinance, to allow parking spaces above the maximum number specified in the ordinance.

No actual plans or renderings of the building, just a site plan. 

1393317269_ConsEnergySitePlan.thumb.JPG.3ad3552adc95230964e06c3e20fba67d.JPG

There's a huge traffic impact study for those interested (starts on page 215):

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=3946&Inline=True

Any news on the Consumers project? Nothing seems to be happening with it yet. 

19 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Howdy fellow Westsider :yahoo:

I didn't notice the vintage clothing shop when I rode by there on Sunday. Will have to check it out soon. 

... WHAAAATTT!!! Frank's is moving? I'm shocked! I love the old building they're currently in but they'll be closer to my house. Do you have an idea of the timeline for Frank's?

The vintage clothing store is in the small retail building just to the east. 

From what I understand, they wanted more space and couldn't expand at their original location. This location also offers them improved ADA and some of their own parking. Hopefully it works better for them and their old location gets occupied by another long-term use. The block with Frank's and Bitter End has long been active and occupied. In the meantime, this is a HUGE improvement to the old UAW building (new brick facade, window transparency, improved lighting, and an active use at the sidewalk). 

Not sure on exact timeline. Their announcement indicated a fall opening. 

Edited by demhem
timeline
  • Like 1