New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

On 8/15/2019 at 6:25 AM, mgreven said:

Any news on the Consumers project? Nothing seems to be happening with it yet. 

They are going to proceed as planned with building on West Side site. The slight delay was due only in part to some building redesign efforts but they should be moving forward rather quickly once finished with redesign. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NotALocalDeveloper said:

Very cool aerial video of Bridge Street Market and the continually changing West Side, definitely worth the 2 minute watch trust me.

I think thats the first time I saw all the solar panels on the roofs.  Nice vid

On 8/14/2019 at 1:53 PM, thebeerqueer said:

Do you have an idea of the timeline for Frank's?

I heard the new Frank's will open in December or thats the goal atleast.

Edited by JoeSchmo
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 12:03 PM, demhem said:

That is wild. That place was regularly busy, especially while GVSU is in session. 

I would think the rent in that fairly new building would be pretty high.... but then again is spoonlickers even open year round?  

Also, didn't someone mention a Pizza Hut coming to the larger space there awhile ago?

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/momentum-continues-for-apartment-development-across-grand-rapids

MiBiz running a story that demand for market rate apts is starting to outpace inventory again.  Seems to be counter intuititive to some of the impressions on here.   AFAIK there aren't any new market rate projects in the pipeline currently.  

• Like 1

Counter intuitive to another article linked showing slower growth ahead for the state.  Nevertheless 89% occupancy with 4,500 going online since 2015 is pretty impressive.

I think what's propping it is the ongoing social reboot seen nationwide with younger workers  prizing housing flexibility in a world of job turnover, choosing to remain single or childless, and 10,000/day hitting 65 empty nesters downsizing.

If my bicycling trip to Chicago is any indication another winner is electric scooters.  They're everywhere.

24 minutes ago, arcturus said:

Counter intuitive to another article linked showing slower growth ahead for the state.  Nevertheless 89% occupancy with 4,500 going online since 2015 is pretty impressive.

I think what's propping it is the ongoing social reboot seen nationwide with younger workers  prizing housing flexibility in a world of job turnover, choosing to remain single or childless, and 10,000/day hitting 65 empty nesters downsizing.

If my bicycling trip to Chicago is any indication another winner is electric scooters.  They're everywhere.

Electric scooters were huge when I was living in San Diego. They, initially, were a great idea, but after time the city has become cluttered with them being left everywhere. Also many deaths have occured from people not using them properly. So while I like company's like Bird, Lime, Uber and Lyft they still havent come up with a way to have organize the use of it properly and repo men are also hurting those company's.

8 hours ago, MJLO said:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/momentum-continues-for-apartment-development-across-grand-rapids

MiBiz running a story that demand for market rate apts is starting to outpace inventory again.  Seems to be counter intuititive to some of the impressions on here.   AFAIK there aren't any new market rate projects in the pipeline currently.  

I posted a couple of the Census reports for this year on another thread and it looks like vacancy rates in the metro were about 4.9% for the first 2 quarters of this year. Definitely not too shabby with everything that has been added to the market in the last few years. With the amount of risk and capital involved in these projects I think new projects trail the reality.

I wonder if this means someone will pick up the North project on Bridge Street and take it to completion? 

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Is it up for sale? I thought people reported that the residential portion was still being worked on?

Joe

Mixed reports. It sounded to me like they were just trying to get it closed in for weather protection but the Lobdell was no longer involved. 

On 7/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Took the moped out for a long ride on Sunday. A lot of homeless people downtown on a Sunday, and a huge crowd at The Little Bird on Monroe Center. 

Anyway, got some good pictures. Here are some from the West Side:

Looks like Chicago

208573402_NorthapartmentsfromSovengard.thumb.jpg.78cdd448a3fea589b5eecfaeb98f47c0.jpg

Anyone questioning whether there are problems with this project should realize that this photo is from July 1. It is now September 4. You could take an identical photo today. 

Yes, a small number of people poke around each day. No, it is not closed to the weather. 
I can't imagine any serious developer is going to take this disaster over. They'd need to gut the interior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, localtalent said:

Anyone questioning whether there are problems with this project should realize that this photo is from July 1. It is now September 4. You could take an identical photo today. 

Yes, a small number of people poke around each day. No, it is not closed to the weather. 
I can't imagine any serious developer is going to take this disaster over. They'd need to gut the interior.

Tear down and start over?

7 hours ago, localtalent said:

As long as drywall hasn't been started, it should probably be OK. Just plywood getting wet, even blanketed with snow, isn't an issue as long as it has time to dry out before it gets closed in with drywall and insulation. I work in residential construction, new homes are all open to the elements until the windows go in and sheathing goes on the outside. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 4:36 PM, GRDadof3 said:

As long as drywall hasn't been started, it should probably be OK. Just plywood getting wet, even blanketed with snow, isn't an issue as long as it has time to dry out before it gets closed in with drywall and insulation. I work in residential construction, new homes are all open to the elements until the windows go in and sheathing goes on the outside. 

Drywall has been hung....even in units that have no windows installled.

It really is a train wreck.