GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Is it up for sale? I thought people reported that the residential portion was still being worked on?

Joe

Mixed reports. It sounded to me like they were just trying to get it closed in for weather protection but the Lobdell was no longer involved. 

On 7/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Took the moped out for a long ride on Sunday. A lot of homeless people downtown on a Sunday, and a huge crowd at The Little Bird on Monroe Center. 

Anyway, got some good pictures. Here are some from the West Side:

Looks like Chicago

208573402_NorthapartmentsfromSovengard.thumb.jpg.78cdd448a3fea589b5eecfaeb98f47c0.jpg

Anyone questioning whether there are problems with this project should realize that this photo is from July 1. It is now September 4. You could take an identical photo today. 

Yes, a small number of people poke around each day. No, it is not closed to the weather. 
I can't imagine any serious developer is going to take this disaster over. They'd need to gut the interior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, localtalent said:

Anyone questioning whether there are problems with this project should realize that this photo is from July 1. It is now September 4. You could take an identical photo today. 

Yes, a small number of people poke around each day. No, it is not closed to the weather. 
I can't imagine any serious developer is going to take this disaster over. They'd need to gut the interior.

Tear down and start over?

I dont want to laugh, but this was literally the worst project and the wrong time to become this FUBAR. It almost feels like a bad joke.

It is sticking out like a sore thumb and towers over a whole lot of thriving places. It simply cannot remain looking like that no matter what problems the developers are having.

Meanwhile, down the road, the Hendrik is at 98% occupancy. It almost seems like it would been impossible to mess up residential at that location, but they did. Wow!

Joe

7 hours ago, localtalent said:

As long as drywall hasn't been started, it should probably be OK. Just plywood getting wet, even blanketed with snow, isn't an issue as long as it has time to dry out before it gets closed in with drywall and insulation. I work in residential construction, new homes are all open to the elements until the windows go in and sheathing goes on the outside. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 4:36 PM, GRDadof3 said:

As long as drywall hasn't been started, it should probably be OK. Just plywood getting wet, even blanketed with snow, isn't an issue as long as it has time to dry out before it gets closed in with drywall and insulation. I work in residential construction, new homes are all open to the elements until the windows go in and sheathing goes on the outside. 

Drywall has been hung....even in units that have no windows installled.

It really is a train wreck.

3 hours ago, localtalent said:

What's the plan then? Is this just going to be some abandoned eyesore? Will they pick it back up when they find someone to take over? Or will they have to tear it down?

30 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

What's the plan then? Is this just going to be some abandoned eyesore? Will they pick it back up when they find someone to take over? Or will they have to tear it down?

I can almost guarantee that the city will not just let it sit there unfinished and exposed. You would have to look at the requirements and conditions of the approval, but something will have to be done. 

Unless the thing gets tangled in some sort of court case, we should have zero worries. It's in too good of a location to just sit. No way this thing doesn't ultimately become a successful development.

Joe

• Like 1

23 hours ago, localtalent said:

Oof. 

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Unless the thing gets tangled in some sort of court case, we should have zero worries. It's in too good of a location to just sit. No way this thing doesn't ultimately become a successful development.

Joe

I would agree, someone will pick it up for a song in foreclosure and even with demo-ing the inside, would be able to finish it probably less expensively than the original. My guess is with Rockford so invested in that neighborhood, they'll take it over even if they have to eat part of it.  I haven't heard any rumors as such, just spitballin. 

I'm actually surprised the media hasn't picked up on this yet. Or investigated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I drove past today and saw it being worked on. Two construction workers on the 4th balcony on the east side to be exact. Driving by, I could hear more work being done inside.

For what it's worth 

Work over the last week has picked up a decent amount from previous weeks.  Someone mentioned whatever was going on had been resolved and work would pick up again.

16 hours ago, MJLO said:

Work over the last week has picked up a decent amount from previous weeks.  Someone mentioned whatever was going on had been resolved and work would pick up again.

Do you know who said it had resolved and would begin construction again? Credible source? 

On 8/20/2019 at 8:25 AM, NotALocalDeveloper said:

They are going to proceed as planned with building on West Side site. The slight delay was due only in part to some building redesign efforts but they should be moving forward rather quickly once finished with redesign. 

You lol.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, NotALocalDeveloper said:

I was talking about the new Consumers Energy building going in on the west side, not this project...

So they are going to start construction on the Consumers Energy building?    What do you know?

2 hours ago, NotALocalDeveloper said:

I was talking about the new Consumers Energy building going in on the west side, not this project...

*shrugs*

So what did I see and hear yesterday? Just a few guys doing routine work?