New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

5 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Ironically someone I know who works for Meritage recently told to me in regards to Morning Belle that “they pretty much stripped the entire concept of Anna’s House and replicated it.”

Yeah, could be a real legal battle depending on how much they divulged (which, from a business perspective, was probably not the best way to go. Although I don't know if Anna's House has a lock on "breakfast place with eccletic decor". :)

When I first heard about Morning Belle, I thought they'd probably take Anna's House on head-to-head. But, my two favorite breakfast places, Lucy's (on Plainfield) and Little Bird (Monroe Center) aren't THAT different from Anna's House. All have a bit of a different take on the same thing: breakfast, served well, at a pretty $$ price. :)

Joe

8 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Driving by the place on the Beltline and it's plainly obvious from the road that they nicked the idea from Anna's House.

Re: Neon on West Leonard, are we liking the idea of neon there becuase we are channeling the old Neon Ameircana shop that was on West Leonard?

https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2009/11/neon_americana_owner_holding_f.html

I was at one of those new Wendy's with the modern architecture the other day, and it looked strangely a lot like the new modern McDonald's (also a hamburger and fries place). And then I went in one of those modern places called Burger King and it too had burgers, fries and chicken nuggets in a very similar decor. You even went up to the counter to order EXACTLY like the other two places. I'm just waiting for the lawsuits to fly. 

If Anna's House gave away their marketing/branding secrets without some kind of contract protecting it from being taken, they're even dumber than their Trump donations would lend me to believe. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Re: Neon on West Leonard, are we liking the idea of neon there becuase we are channeling the old Neon Ameircana shop that was on West Leonard?

https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2009/11/neon_americana_owner_holding_f.html

I first got that feeling when Neon Americana was still there, but despite the loss of it that feeling has never gone away.

22 hours ago, Kporter said:

This is a terrible idea! Grand Rapids needs to stop destroying historic structures for bland and terrible design for greedy gentrifying jerks! 

I dont think this is a matter of greed. Sure, I think Brann is a bit of an eccentric sometimes, and any idea of his invites some skepticism, but this plan of his does include finally redoing the exterior of his restaurant too, and he seems sincere in his want to really spruce up a part of the west side that hasn't received a lot of the spotlight that Bridge St. has. Right now the area is still a bit on the shabby and underdeveloped side, and Leonard can always use a big project like this considering how massive the length of the street is, and how much of it really needs some TLC.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I think calling those buildings “historic structures” is more than a bit of an extreme...

I think the building on the right is a nice old building/definitely fits the original neighborhood. Not necessarily something worth chaining myself to a wrecking ball for, but I’m a little disappointed to see it get knocked down instead of renovated. 

Joe

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kporter said:

This project is 100% a downgrade for the area! The fact you all can’t see that is terrifying to me! Also It really shines light on the reasons people like him are allowed to get away with terrible projects like this one! 

I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed.... but i'm starting to see a theme here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kporter said:

Oh ok! Sorry I actually care about these buildings in my neighborhood and am not interested in bland un inspired architecture! 

See, that's more like it. I agree that it's very "meh", and Brann's always seems to have questionable renovating taste that the city ends up stomping on. It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

A little less conspiracy theory talk and you'll be fine. We're all pretty passionate about GR.

Joe

• Like 4

On the occasions I pass by the Branns on Leonard with its “tribute” flags, I have to wonder if they are truly an homage to those who served or just ham-handed marketing.  It always makes me think of the movie “Unforgiven”:

Sheriff "Little Bill" Daggett: You just shot an unarmed man!
Bill Munny: Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wingbert said:

On the occasions I pass by the Branns on Leonard with its “tribute” flags, I have to wonder if they are truly an homage to those who served or just ham-handed marketing.

I’m not a fan at all of his politics but from what I know of him, I’d guess he is sincere. 

With the exception of the existing Brann’s building I could care less that other structures be replaced, however as highly visible as this location is off 131 I would love to see much more of a statement in the development, That doesn’t mean heigh or density by any means but design . a rooftop part of The restaurant would be cool, more brick and glass, less sheet metal. 

22 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I agree with Kporter a bit, those proposed buildings look like crap. But I don't really care much about West Leonard so really, do whatever you want Tommy Brann. 

Not a fan of the design of the proposed buildings either, but your comments about west Leonard are a bit harsh. :o

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 3

In addition to the new building Brann's has planned on Leonard, they are putting $1 million into renovating their restaurant just down the block.   It looks like they will also clean up the front facade, fully opening up the windows to the street.

https://www.grbj.com/articles/94547-west-side-restaurant-plans-1m-renovation

Edited by mpchicago

On 10/24/2019 at 2:58 PM, mpchicago said:

Not a fan of the design of the proposed buildings either, but your comments about west Leonard are a bit harsh. :o

Hardly anyone on here talks about West Leonard and probably many don't care either. It's a mish-mash of businesses I don't think I've ever thought of going to, other than Mitten. I did go to that pharmacy on Leonard once.