New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

I kinda agree with GRDad on this one.  There's not really a whole lot that draws me to W. Leonard.  It's kind of a mish mash of pawn shops, head shops, thrift shops, deer processing shops(?).   Don't get me wrong, 10 years ago I used to go to shakedown all the time, but  I still feel like the west side is a whole different city compared to the rest of GR.  It's just kind of a foreign concept to me I guess, growing up in SE GR we never really crossed the river except on the rare occasion a Union friend was having a party.  I'm not trying to bash or hate on the west side it's just different, kinda like Michigan street 15+ years ago was.

16 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I kinda agree with GRDad on this one.  There's not really a whole lot that draws me to W. Leonard.  It's kind of a mish mash of pawn shops, head shops, thrift shops, deer processing shops(?).   Don't get me wrong, 10 years ago I used to go to shakedown all the time, but  I still feel like the west side is a whole different city compared to the rest of GR.  It's just kind of a foreign concept to me I guess, growing up in SE GR we never really crossed the river except on the rare occasion a Union friend was having a party.  I'm not trying to bash or hate on the west side it's just different, kinda like Michigan street 15+ years ago was.

I'm also not hating on the West Side. There are many areas of the West Side I prefer to the SE side. You'll find me on Bridge Street way more than Wealthy Street now. I also love having breakfast at the Westsider. 

But West Leonard is generally just a collection of outdated retail. And if Tommy Brann wants to build his rather podunk office building looking mixed-use project there, have at it. I don't care either way. :)

I remember Bridge  St of the past and even the current stretch around Lane Ave. and Wealthy St of the past.  Wealthy west of Lake Dr a few blocks to Jefferson was pretty rugged. West Leonard looked like much better than those 2 did. Walter Swift started the renaissance of Bridge Street, Rockford has spent a lot of money there. And Bridge Street is within walking distance to Michigan Street and the Devos.  How is Brann's development any different than the building on the SW corner of Wealthy and Diamond? Nothing striking about that one IMHO.

I'm not a fan of Brann's politics (the flag thing etc) but how is he doing anything different than others who have invested  in a rundown area. Private  investment should bring more investment (unlike the Silverline :rolleyes:)

This discussion could go on forever. But I don't get the criticism of the redevelopment. There's quite a few  what I consider blah new buildings like this. 

Edited by Raildude's dad
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

This discussion could go on forever. But I don't get the criticism of the redevelopment. There's quite a few  what I consider blah new buildings like this. 

Exactly. :P   But people will say it increases density and will add more pedestrian activity to that area, which I don't see happening. Think about how big the Michigan Street development is with Gordon's on the ground floor, and I don't ever see pedestrians in that area. Or no more than there used to be. 

No more than 5 years ago, Bridge street wasn't any better than West Leonard.

There is a lot of potential beyond Bridge St  on the west-side for future investment opportunities.  

I am potentially concerned with Branns ability or eye for design.  Just remembering a couple years ago the exterior of Leonard Branns was miffed up with awkward metal panels. before it was redone again.

Edited by JoeSchmo
  • Like 2

After church this morning we drove to Manhattan Park to watch our daughter and SIL in their cycle cross races. Then took Michigan St from Fuller west to Bridge St at Garfield and then Leonard from Covell to Alpine. I know what Leonard to Turner looks like quite well.  I think Leonard is doing pretty good if not better than west Bridge. I was observing all the new developments on Michigan / Bridge. I just went back and looked at the Brann drawings. If it comes out close to the renderings, it has a lot more class then the new buildings with the pretty much unusable dinky balconies sticking out out all over. That must be the new, must have, architectural dodad.T here's a lot of new buildings with some crappy details. The Brann's design has some nice classic looks to it, varied facades, I like it. But what does a n old school civil engineer have in the way of an architectural eye:dontknow::P

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

Nov 14th the GR Planning Commission is considering a parking variance for a hotel at 942 Front, just north of the new apt building.

It’s been well over a year since that hotel has been mentioned. I was recently wondering if it had gone to the proposal graveyard.  IIRC it was proposed as a Springhill Suites, will be interesting to see if that is still the branding they are pursuing.   It just seems like such an odd location for a hotel to me.  Aside from the LIHTC apartments next door the area is almost exclusively 9-5 industrial type businesses.   From a walking stand point it’s a restaurant/amenities dead zone.  If someone is staying there to be close to downtown they still pretty much need a car for everything.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, sfloria said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet but it looks like they are moving dirt around on Seward, between California and Veto.  This lot has been empty for a looooong time, because of controversy if I remember correctly.

IMG_6919.jpg

Also in this area: someone tore down the old service station at the corner of Gold and Fulton and appear to be prepping the site. I don't have a picture but I saw the equipment and vacant site last night. 

• Like 1

https://fox17online.com/2019/11/18/cedar-springs-brewing-opening-second-location-in-grand-rapids/?fbclid=IwAR1wF_SH7JnLJPq8fLo5mOrmwkVr5M3dFrBsU4KJMjD6hZ0LmckhMqBibB8

Cedar Springs Brewing Company opening a taproom/brewing operation at 642 Bridge Street NW as the "Kusterer Brauhaus." 

Edited by demhem
and brewing!
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, demhem said:

https://fox17online.com/2019/11/18/cedar-springs-brewing-opening-second-location-in-grand-rapids/?fbclid=IwAR1wF_SH7JnLJPq8fLo5mOrmwkVr5M3dFrBsU4KJMjD6hZ0LmckhMqBibB8

Cedar Springs Brewing Company opening a taproom/brewing operation at 642 Bridge Street NW as the "Kusterer Brauhaus." 

That's the "Jesus Evangelistic Center" building so you all don't have to Google it.  =)  That block still doesn't look great so this will help.  I wonder if anything will ever happen to the old Duthler's, the old Chase or if the liquor store will ever get cleaned up.  There are lots of places to eat and drink - wonder if retail (besides Bridge Street Market) will show up ever.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mgreven said:

That's the "Jesus Evangelistic Center" building so you all don't have to Google it.  =)  That block still doesn't look great so this will help.  I wonder if anything will ever happen to the old Duthler's, the old Chase or if the liquor store will ever get cleaned up.  There are lots of places to eat and drink - wonder if retail (besides Bridge Street Market) will show up ever.

Rendering looks sharp!   It will be a nice addition to the neighborhood.

69de68ce67e4d815c5f946c547ee5281_XL.jpg

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, mgreven said:

The old Duthler's site is enormous. I would love to see it broken up and parceled out. As far as retail goes, there's still a few shops the further west you go Bridge St Electric, Dodd's Records, etc ... it would be nice to have a little more variety there. 

1 hour ago, mgreven said:

This is going to be one of my 2020 predictions. The old bank site becomes a mixed use project. Or at least proposed.

• Like 1

I thought Rockford owned the old bank and Duthler's property?  They have similar LLCs to other Rockford properties.

I really don't think it will be long before we see those parcels developed.  I also think development will continue to head further west down Bridge.  It looks like the old laundry mat and 1034 Bridge are being remodeled as well.

I could also see a couple blocks of relatively cheap housing stock demolished for condos/apartments north and south of Bridge.  There seems to be a lot less NIMBY-ism in the area than there used to be.

We've seen a rendering for the Chase site before in this very thread, but that was 2 years ago. Doesn't sound like it was ever a concrete plan.

On 11/30/2017 at 2:16 PM, Pattmost20 said:

This rendering popped up on the commercial listing for 614 Bridge St NW (Chase Bank Site). 

Bridge Street.JPG

Edited by getemngo

3 hours ago, getemngo said:

We've seen a rendering for the Chase site before in this very thread, but that was 2 years ago. Doesn't sound like it was ever a concrete plan.

That Rendering would be almost ideal for that angled corner with the amount of brick/glass and height ratio....that and the summer ave/bridge st lot would be great infills