New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

So what are your thoughts on the Harrison Park apartments? It doesn't show very well but top part of the doors are windows and the doors look to be 8+feet tall. I can understand having a window above the door but including them in the door looks way off proportion to me.  I usually drive NB so haven't noticed the billboard until yesterday.  Must have been too expensive to buy out :(

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0155.jpg

• Like 1

While the article ignores the fact that the commercial space was originally supposed to be Mash / North (brewing?), it sounds like the commercial space may be filled and the residential portion is getting close:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/exploding-west-side-welcomes-bridge-street-lofts-at-red-lion-site/

Joe

1 hour ago, cstonesparty said:

I'm guessing this will demolish the lannings (I think it is) old restaurant? I like that building. Kinda a throwback feel to it, but I cant pinpoint the era

They have secured architecture firm Paradigm Design Inc., which currently operates at 550 3 Mile Road NW, as the anchor tenant.

An architecture firm in that ugly building?    Uh...ok... lol.

33 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Is it kinda art deco?

I think it's kinda a lot of things because of attempts to modernize the facade on the building every few decades for the past hundred years or so.  I don't  think I'd call it art deco though.  I found this great photo on flickr of it when it was still an operating business back in February 2006:

Lannings' lit up in neon 2-2006

Edited by walker
  • Like 3

My parents were married upstairs at Lannings back in the 80s. I’d be sad to see it torn down for that reason, but I also find it hard to justify keeping around a vacant two story building which is alone on its block.  I’d like to see the sign restored and lit up somewhere. I just love old neon signs like that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, walker said:

I think it's kinda a lot of things because of attempts to modernize the facade on the building every few decades for the past hundred years or so.  I don't  think I'd call it art deco though.  I found this great photo on flickr of it when it was still an operating business back in February 2006:

I think the neon makes me think art deco. I love neon on buildings like that.  Makes em pop and makes the streetscape more lively.

When I was in Southbeach last year, it was just a dream to walk around.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Prankster said:

Well, they did design it. 

Actually they didn't, which I found even more strange... lol...

Wolverine Building Group Inc. will serve as the construction manager on the project, which was designed by Grand Rapids-based Henrickson Architecture LLC.

They have secured architecture firm Paradigm Design Inc., which currently operates at 550 3 Mile Road NW, as the anchor tenant.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:24 PM, walker said:

I love the Lanning's sign! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HavingAhoot said:

Anyone know whats going on with the old Sams party store on the corner of Pine & Bridge?

Bridge Street Ministries bought the building and they are completing a renovation/restoration; however, I can't remember exactly what they intend to do with the building.

Edited by demhem
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, demhem said:

Bridge Street Ministries bought the building and they are completing a renovation/restoration; however, I can't remember exactly what they intend to do with the building.

Renovations to the interior and exterior;  offices and community meeting space. 

• Like 1