New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

4 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It's easy to forget  that President Ford and his wife are kind of buried right there, so it's unlikely they would ever agree to anything but museum expansion even though they kind of just stuck them next to the staff parking lot, so I cant imagine that the parts right next to Bridge being developed should be that unreasonable.

It may not happen for a while, but like GRDad said, with design some input from the museum, I don’t think it’s out of the question. We’re not talking about disturbing a burial site, just building on an existing parking lot. 

Joe

8 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Would it even be up to the Ford family to decide?  I thought the feds owned the property and can't really see them selling anytime soon if ever.

I think the Ford Family would have a lot of say as to what happens to the property. Or maybe a development could have a "museum" portion to it. I think I actually sketched up a Science Center on that site many years ago. :)

I think the most likely development would be another museum of some type. A Science Center or Aquarium would be my choices.  Maybe the Feds could open a space dedicated to the mound building cultures that once inhabited that area.  I agree it would s a very underutilized property, however I also agree that the burial site needs to highly respected, as all burial sites should be.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:01 PM, Floyd_Z said:

New restaurant being proposed at 337 Summer from the Butcher's Union guys.  The plans look pretty sweet!

You're killing me dangling this nugget of info out there with no follow up. In all seriousness I absolutely love the build-out for Butcher's Union, if they put that much effort into this new place I have high hopes.

Edited by Pattmost20
  • Like 4

Not sure how much info I can give out.  It looked pretty big and nice with some cool outdoor seating.  I would think full details will be available shortly.  I think it's just a reno with a pretty quick timeline from what I hear.

Hopefully it will be a nice catalyst for development to continue south.  Those DASH lots are just waiting to get gobbled up!  It would be nice if the area was a little more connected to the west.  Extending Douglas and Sibley would be a start.  Every time I'm in that area it seems like there's only one way in and one way out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, JoeSchmo said:

According to the PC notice in the GR Press, this is the Arnies Bakery property. What's the scoop on Arnies? The restaurants take out is Beer City Breads

21 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

According to the PC notice in the GR Press, this is the Arnies Bakery property. What's the scoop on Arnies? The restaurants take out is Beer City Breads

I didnt see the PC notice.  But the addresses listed for this development are the properties adjacent and directly west of MIeras Shoes.  They are remodeling the brick building on the site and building on what is currently parking lots that extend from Leonard to Courtney.

Not sure if there are other projects planned for Arnies?

Also separately looks like Bazzanni Builders is planning on buying the property on the corner of McReynolds and Leonard and redeveloping the ground floor for a restaurant and/or coffee shop on the ground floor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, I was just driving by these parcels the other day and thought how great they would be for some development.  Looks like four stories.  Would be some more great infill especially with the new apartments just north on Stocking.  (These are the two funeral home parking lots right near Stocking & 3rd)

Address:

601 & 605 Stocking Avenue NW

Applicant:

Woda Cooper Companies, Inc.

(Craig Patterson)

Requesting:

Approval for ground floor residential use in association with a 27-unit four-story affordable housing development in the TN-TBA

Address:

585 Stocking Avenue NW

Applicant:

Woda Cooper Companies, Inc.

(Craig Patterson)

Requesting:

Approval for ground floor residential use in association with a 31-unit four-story affordable housing development in the TN-TBA