New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

4 hours ago, MJLO said:

Hopefully the stuff going in on Stocking will trigger redevelopment on some of those more dilapidated properties near Stocking and 4th. 

My thoughts exactly.  There are a ton of run down properties in the are.

• 2 weeks later...

18 hours ago, mgreven said:

Coming to Bridge Street in the new gray apartment building.  Sign is up but when I was by there yesterday it didn't look like build out had started.  Looks like a cool place...

http://www.condadotacos.com

Nice. A Ohio-based chain that's so far only expanded to major metros.  Speaks well of GR that it's their next target.  And that they're moving into Bridge St instead of the suburbs.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Which three places within 500 feet are you referring to? El Sombrero is the only place within 500 feet of the new Condado Tacos. 

I was thinking about that too...Maggie's Kitchen (a bit further) and the Mayan Ice Cream place right next door to Condado I think sometimes sells tacos at night, right?  They're all a bit different, though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mgreven said:

I was thinking about that too...Maggie's Kitchen (a bit further) and the Mayan Ice Cream place right next door to Condado I think sometimes sells tacos at night, right?  They're all a bit different, though.

Yep, I was thinking of Maggies.  I could have sworn Mayan sold tacos too, maybe that was just a lunch special or something.

And no there's no such thing as too much tacos lol.  Conando will probably do pretty well serving alcohol.

Maggies and El Sombrero have a fairly loyal following I think.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, arcturus said:

How are the neighborhoods near these places?   Anyone live in the area able to comment?

I believe there is a difference between the neighborhoods of the old Greek Group and the Bazzani Building with the east-west boundary being Alpine.  The neighborhoods between 131 and Alpine have been a little bit on the sketchier side when compared to the west side of Alpine when talking about potential crime, etc. 

I live close to the Geek Group and I like the neighborhood, but that is my personal preference.  West side is the Best Side ;)

There is also 38 units coming next to Mieras as mentioned earlier.

58 minutes ago, JoeSchmo said:

I live close to the Geek Group and I like the neighborhood, but that is my personal preference.  West side is the Best Side ;)

Thanks, Leonard is certainly unique.  Where else can you get hit up by a homeless person, have a craft beer, eat some great barbecue, and get a tattoo all on the same block?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

West Leonard School has been gutted and only the south and western facades are being kept. Not sure if this is still the same owner and plans from 2018 https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2018/10/grand_rapids_votes_to_sell_for.html

It was posted above. ^^^ Looks like a group is planning up to 120 apartments on the site (current building is being torn down). 

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's a smart move. Not a cigar smoker, but I know there's a market for that, and I think the place is definitely big enough to cater to different types. 

I like New Holland. It's a big anchor for the West Side, and I hope all of the businesses pull through. I hope the city is more flexible on special use permits as restaurants come up with new ways to survive. 

Joe

• Like 3

On 8/20/2019 at 7:25 AM, NotALocalDeveloper said:

They are going to proceed as planned with building on West Side site. The slight delay was due only in part to some building redesign efforts but they should be moving forward rather quickly once finished with redesign. 

Is this Consumer Energy West Side project dead?

• Like 2