New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

20 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

A weird (but serious) dream of mine has always been to buy The Clique on the west side. I noticed that it's not only up for sale, its sale pending. I hope someone keeps it and (minimally) renovates it (I really don't want this place to see a bulldozer). 

Joe  

Aww that's too bad, I love The Clique!  I think covid just killed them.  If I were to guess I'd say Rockford bought it since they own a ton of real estate in that area.  That area west of Stocking is pretty ripe for redevlopment.

On a side note, the building across the street from The Clique (Joe Vs) is being renovated.  IIRC maybe a country bar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JoeSchmo said:

Anybody know anything about a potential development just south of Walker and Leonard (960 Bristol Ave)?  I heard rumors about a potential development, but can't find any details.

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/Detail_LegiFile.aspx?Frame=&MeetingID=6436&MediaPosition=&ID=13251&CssClass=

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Question - is it possible that someone over at WOOD TV saw that I posted this and decided they did not like that  I did that and killed the link? 

Not sure but it's still on their main site: https://www.woodtv.com/video/condado-tacos-brings-explosion-of-art-to-grand-rapids’-west-side/6246647/

Ok, so more details. Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. Is working with Lott3Metz to create a plan (a vision) for redevelopment of 5 surface lots into housing. Sounds like mixed income. If they do it they plan on replacing the parking spots with ramps (I'm thinking since this is a commuter lot that mainly serves downtown proper, multiple ramps throughout the city could make up for the lost spaces). 

They're also looking at how this will affect Bridge Street parking. 

Personally, I think it's excellent and I hope there are plans for different sizes and densities (I could see 12-15 story buildings near Lake Michigan Drive and Bridge Street). 

I'm hoping as part of this, they can somehow get the Big Boy property. I think that would be a great spot for a mixed use building that could bring more residential to the west side, serve the GVSU campus and downtown. East facing views would have a great view of the skyline.

Interesting to see the fire station on bridge is in the boundaries. That could be another big boost for Bridge Street (residential with retail / dining). SO many possibilities!

Said the plan could be crafted by Spring, and help DGRI and the DDA look at developers. I hope they end up using multiple developers and make sure whatever is built doesn't have a homogenous design throughout. 

Joe 

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 8.57.09 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After demolishing an entire neighborhood for parking lots...they put the neighborhood back! The one guy that held out must be like "told you so".

That whole episode is why I got into this topic years ago because I thought it was so shortsighted, but if a real nice series of buildings springs on these lots, I will totally forgive them! It really is a no-brainer with Bridge St. on one side, the YMCA at the back and GVSU on the south end + easy highway access. Not one unit will be empty and tons of business will benefit.

Really what is there to explore? I would just get moving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry for the detour (and great news, btw, about the DGRI vision) . I just saw this on Instagram - some pics of Condado Tacos, recently opened at 449 Bridge St (Bridge Street Lofts) . They also happen to have been posted by DGRI -

PS - if you are quick enough, you can usually "CTRL+A" then "CTRL+C" to select and copy all, before those pesky MLive paywalls pop up. Then you can paste into into a word file and read the article, images and all. It's a workaround, at least, until MLive figures out a way to stop that from happening. Sometimes, opening it in an incognito window buys you a few extra seconds to complete the commands.

2021_02_04_Grand%20Rapids_449%20Bridge%2

2021_02_04_Grand%20Rapids_449%20Bridge%2
Source: Instagram | @downtowngrinc

Edited by deja vu
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:29 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

Really what is there to explore? I would just get moving.

I read it as "just get moving".   BTW, DGRI meetings are streamed.
I'd imagine the big challenge is financing, anything there at scale is going to be million$.
But this really makes sense;  Grand Rapids doesn't want infill development, so density can't increase in the neighborhoods, and these are the last big spaces.  I do hope they manage to "GO BIG", and don't surrender the potential of that space for less than a whole lot.

44 minutes ago, whitemice said:

I read it as "just get moving".   BTW, DGRI meetings are streamed.
I'd imagine the big challenge is financing, anything there at scale is going to be million$.
But this really makes sense;  Grand Rapids doesn't want infill development, so density can't increase in the neighborhoods, and these are the last big spaces.  I do hope they manage to "GO BIG", and don't surrender the potential of that space for less than a whole lot.

Agreed. As I said before, I hope they also invite multiple developers to get involved. Rockford, Orion, CWD, Maple Grove, etc. and hopefully some companies that want to break into this market. I hope it has a bit of an organic feel, and hopefully competing developments will lead to big ideas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I’d hate to see the Clique go away. That place was my dream “retire and own a bar” kind of place. 

Joe

I would also hate to see it go away, but it looks like "Click Land LLC" owns both adjacent parking lots, so maybe we will see some infill and preservation of the building/business? 

Edited by demhem
parking**

20 hours ago, demhem said:

I would also hate to see it go away, but it looks like "Click Land LLC" owns both adjacent parking lots, so maybe we will see some infill and preservation of the building/business? 

Maybe they'll expand the bowling? God knows we don't need yet another mundane infill project with vacant retail on the ground floor. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 8:23 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Maybe they'll expand the bowling? God knows we don't need yet another mundane infill project with vacant retail on the ground floor. 

I agree, but can you imagine saying that 15 years ago? Or even 10? Especially given that the location in question is the corner of Stocking and 2nd?

Edited by Khorasaurus1
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 12:40 PM, GRDadof3 said:

City shows: TWO SMALL ADDITIONS AT ENTRANCE AREAS WITH SITE IMPROVEMENTS TO MATCH EXISTING BUILDING, INTERIOR REMODEL INCLUDING DEMOLITION, NEW WALLS & EQUIPMENT, NEW FLOOR SLAB IN FORMER TENANT SPACE TO WEST, NEW MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT

Apparently will be opening in March 2021.

• Like 1