Jump to content

New projects on the West Side


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

The curb cut out onto Fulton isn't my favorite thing either. Does anyone know how Bloomfields is involved in the cannabis industry? I couldn't find anything on the googles.

It seems to be a company called Oak Flint. They are also on the Planning Commission agenda  to renovate the one story building right next to the Sligh building (this one called Oak Flint). Wonder if the planning commission gets sick of 95% Cannabis discussions at all meetings. :)

Joe

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bridge Street Placemaking. Photos are 5 years apart.  

I took a walk around the new super-block/WMCAT/Meijer/apartment complex that is nearing completion.     The view from the patio balcony at Harmony Hall    

Posted Images

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

My only gripe is it'd be nice if they had less parking (which probably isn't feasible) and the facade went was contiguous with the building to the west. 

I don't know if this is 100% the reason, but I believe dispensaries have a lot of rules regarding to the entrance in relation to street fronts, visibility of store interior, and having everything under 24 hour video surveillance. I believe they are almost regulated like adult book/movie stores, maybe not quite as strict.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Wonder if the planning commission gets sick of 95% Cannabis discussions at all meetings. :)

Joe

If only there were a legally available product that could help them avoid having these discussions harshing their mellow.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I have a friend whose property butts up to this 

 

Opposition is an understatement. 

I can only imagine the neighborhood pushback on this project. :silly:

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I can only imagine the neighborhood pushback on this project. :silly:

They don't mind single family homes, they just don't want a large scale complex. I keep teasing him that I'm working with the developers for a 30 story tower

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with the neighbors. Not so much that their should be nothing there at all, but they should try for something a bit more aesthetic and more integrated than this typical Wyoming/Grandville apartment complex  with this generic apartment complex parking setup.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I have to agree with the neighbors. Not so much that there should be nothing there at all, but they should try for something a bit more aesthetic and more integrated than this typical Wyoming/Grandville apartment complex  with this generic apartment complex parking setup.

I also think managing drainage from that hillside is a pretty big deal for those downhill with an apartment development.  I'd be very concerned if I were below that property... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cstonesparty said:

I also think managing drainage from that hillside is a pretty big deal for those downhill with an apartment development.  I'd be very concerned if I were below that property... 

They are. They're down on Walker. In fact, there was gonna be a project up there years ago, and behind their house, the woods was cleared for a path. The path is still visible, though greatly grown in since 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2021 at 9:57 AM, Cookin_peacocks said:

I have a friend whose property butts up to this 

 

Opposition is an understatement. 

they do realize they live in a city? I would say decent filling at least along Bristol but might close in a bunch of land thats not being used is the bigger issue. I always wondered why there are several patches of land on the NW and NE side that never got developed as city streets in a more organized grid or suburban infill pattern like inner SE/SW areas or like metro Detroit, Chicago did in the same era of housing 40s-60s?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

they do realize they live in a city? I would say decent filling at least along Bristol but might close in a bunch of land thats not being used is the bigger issue. I always wondered why there are several patches of land on the NW and NE side that never got developed as city streets in a more organized grid or suburban infill pattern like inner SE/SW areas or like metro Detroit, Chicago did in the same era of housing 40s-60s?

Right, but I think they want housing that is more in line what what already exists in that area.

I mean, they get it, and they knew that land wasn't going to be vacant forever, but I think they just don't want a large complex on top of the hill looking down on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the contour lines, the homes are pretty much at Bristol and the side street elevation, not up on top of the hill.  Peoples initial reactionsa are always against something.  I did public meetings / hearings  for public road improvements for 10 years. I told the big boss we should hold informational meetings first open house style. Have plans ready, let folks come in open house style, spend 1 on 1 time with them. Answer all their questions. If we don't know the answer, find it out and recontact them.  (One woman called me out in a public hearing as one of the dumbest  employees in our organization. I was so dumb that I put guardrail reflectors reflecting with traffic and against traffic instead of  just facing with  traffic, ah lady it's a two lane road - reflectors are installed for both directions. )

Two things happen.  1) Most people were ok with the improvement when they  found out the impact or lack of impact on their property . They found out we were not the bad guys.  I always told them I will leave your lawn / driveway the way I would want my yard left.  2) We found out who the hot head, NIMBY, can't reason with property owner(s) are.  There seems to be 1 on every project.  We are then prepared to be ready to rebut their ranting in a public hearing rather than get blindsided and stand there with no ready answer.  When the rest of the folks are ok with the project, the nimby hot head doesn't get support from his neighbors.

Our public hearings are pretty much non events now days.  If this developer hasn't met with the neighbors, same on them.  There's another big parcel across the street.  The owner is getting up there in years. I'm surprised it hasn't been developed.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

I did public meetings / hearings  for public road improvements for 10 years. I told the big boss we should hold informational meetings first open house style. Have plans ready, let folks come in open house style, spend 1 on 1 time with them. Answer all their questions.

Was this in an era of social media where malcontents found a platform to stir the pot prior to the meetings as we're currently witnessing with the push back at the Sligh Furniture development? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the late 80's to late 90's.  No social media, just Advance Newspaper reporters  at every meeting looking for a story.  If a big enough ruckus, the Press would show up along with TV 8 & 13. Of course, negativity sells more papers and tv ad time.   Then there was the reporter that couldn't write an accurate story to save his  azz.  One I'll never forget, he  quoted me 4 times in an article and got every quote wrong.  i refused to talk to him unless he let me see his article before he turned it in to his editor. He needed the story so bad he let me do it LOL  One Press reporter who will remain nameless trashed me so bad I wanted to look him up and demand a retraction. My boss said I couldn't. Still can't stand the guy today. 

The good thing is I no longer have to be the point man  anymore:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

This was the late 80's to late 90's.  No social media, just Advance Newspaper reporters  at every meeting looking for a story.  If a big enough ruckus, the Press would show up along with TV 8 & 13. Of course, negativity sells more papers and tv ad time.   Then there was the reporter that couldn't write an accurate story to save his  azz.  One I'll never forget, he  quoted me 4 times in an article and got every quote wrong.  i refused to talk to him unless he let me see his article before he turned it in to his editor. He needed the story so bad he let me do it LOL  One Press reporter who will remain nameless trashed me so bad I wanted to look him up and demand a retraction. My boss said I couldn't. Still can't stand the guy today. 

The good thing is I no longer have to be the point man  anymore:)

Did it ever make you feel like they were intentionally misreporting to cover it from a specific angle?   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not misreporting but  the doing the negative slant, quoting the  negative person, ignoring  either our position or the facts.  Hugging trees to save the environment was big. "They are going to clear cut all the trees in the highway ROW. "  Not true, here look at the plans. Go look at the stakes in the field.  "We like our gravel road. " But you call  because it's dusty, rough, or slippery (in winter).  But you are getting a new paved road at no charge to the residents. 3 places  I would never live, a gravel road, a private road or on a lake drive.  Me likes my paved public road with govt' maintenance, and don't need to fight with the neighbors  over an inch of property (Lake drives are notorious for those feuds. ) or paying for private maintenance. (Nobody can agree what needs to be done) :). If I had $5 for every call about that stuff...............  but  I do get to talk to some nice people. :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 1:29 PM, Raildude's dad said:

Not misreporting but  the doing the negative slant, quoting the  negative person, ignoring  either our position or the facts.  Hugging trees to save the environment was big. "They are going to clear cut all the trees in the highway ROW. "  Not true, here look at the plans. Go look at the stakes in the field.  "We like our gravel road. " But you call  because it's dusty, rough, or slippery (in winter).  But you are getting a new paved road at no charge to the residents. 3 places  I would never live, a gravel road, a private road or on a lake drive.  Me likes my paved public road with govt' maintenance, and don't need to fight with the neighbors  over an inch of property (Lake drives are notorious for those feuds. ) or paying for private maintenance. (Nobody can agree what needs to be done) :). If I had $5 for every call about that stuff...............  but  I do get to talk to some nice people. :)

It should be illegal to build a private road without having a homeowner's association to maintain it long term. Otherwise, it's just a recipe for whining and drama, while the road continues to deteriorate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

It should be illegal to build a private road without having a homeowner's association to maintain it long term. Otherwise, it's just a recipe for whining and drama, while the road continues to deteriorate.

Most lenders require an HOA or a private road maintenance agreement in place before they will lend on a house with a (shared) private drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 8:00 AM, Cookin_peacocks said:

Not sure if this has been covered, but Sullivan Field is getting renovated next year per a Facebook group about old ballparks I belong to

I've enjoyed watching a few recent games there.  It's good to see Valley (Sullivan) Field making a comeback.  It's a neighborhood treasure.


 

DJI_0216.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.