Jump to content

New projects on the West Side


GRDadof3

Recommended Posts


  • 2 weeks later...

I was looking for something in the last Planning Commission Agenda Packet and it looks like the bar / restaurant proposed for 345 Summer Avenue NW back in 2020 is back on. Looks like a pretty cool plan with a big patio on the loading dock. The South side of the building will look drastically different with all of the windows. Owned by the same group as Butcher's Union and O'Tooles. 

There's also a huge (and cool) development proposed on Burton by Bethany Christian Services (wrong topic, I know). Looks like a lot of affordable housing (single family?) plus a big addition to their offices (if people are interested).

EDIT: I thought I was looking at the September 23rd packet, but it looks like I was looking at the October 14 packet. So these developments are on the docket.

Joe
 

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 3.40.13 PM.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

There's also a huge (and cool) development proposed on Burton by Bethany Christian Services (wrong topic, I know). Looks like a lot of affordable housing (single family?) plus a big addition to their offices (if people are interested).

We brought that up on this thread here.  Incredible to see neighbors opposing single family housing of comparable density in a single family housing neighborhood. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was looking for something in the last Planning Commission Agenda Packet and it looks like the bar / restaurant proposed for 345 Summer Avenue NW back in 2020 is back on. Looks like a pretty cool plan with a big patio on the loading dock. The South side of the building will look drastically different with all of the windows. Owned by the same group as Butcher's Union and O'Tooles. 

There's also a huge (and cool) development proposed on Burton by Bethany Christian Services (wrong topic, I know). Looks like a lot of affordable housing (single family?) plus a big addition to their offices (if people are interested).

EDIT: I thought I was looking at the September 23rd packet, but it looks like I was looking at the October 14 packet. So these developments are on the docket.

Joe
 

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 3.40.13 PM.png

I'm confused. How can that be the South elevation of this building:

https://goo.gl/maps/yZyCQr6TSeDkgFx4A

 

I can definitely see the East elevation in the current building's details...but....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GreatLakesPrintShop said:

My guess is that this portion of the building is going to be demo'd.  If you look at the East view it stops at this point.

image.png.07e22bdf34dee988910d87931cf33d47.png

That's a lot of building to demolish. I'm surprised. But that would be the only way you'd get the South elevation exposed. 

I read the description in the Planning Commision agenda. I'm even more confused now. :) 

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/Detail_LegiFile.aspx?Frame=&MeetingID=6324&MediaPosition=&ID=17022&CssClass=

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I think the elevations are confusing. The way I'm reading it (and looking the the plans), they aren't knocking down anything (the building to the south at 337 Summer).

On the elevations I shared, Patio Elevation North and Patio Elevation South are the same - one is a view looking north (brick wall), the other is looking south (the windows), but the South view is actually the northern wall of the building (where the loading dock is, which will be filled to grade level). Does that make sense? :) Also, the southeast section of the building will be unfinished (marked as "future" and probably why they didn't restore the windows on that side (yet). 

Here's the floor plan:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 5.18.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 5.18.29 PM.png

So the windows on the "Patio Elevation South are actually these old boarded up windows:
 

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 5.36.05 PM.png

Joe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

So I think the elevations are confusing. The way I'm reading it (and looking the the plans), they aren't knocking down anything (the building to the south at 337 Summer).

On the elevations I shared, Patio Elevation North and Patio Elevation South are the same - one is a view looking north (brick wall), the other is looking south (the windows), but the South view is actually the northern wall of the building (where the loading dock is, which will be filled to grade level). Does that make sense? :) Also, the southeast section of the building will be unfinished (marked as "future" and probably why they didn't restore the windows on that side (yet). 

Here's the floor plan:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 5.18.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 5.18.29 PM.png

So the windows on the "Patio Elevation South are actually these old boarded up windows:
 

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 5.36.05 PM.png

Joe

Ah. Good synopsis Joe. And aren't they working on 351 Summer right now? The one in that picture? 

Edit: scratch that, it was 345 Summer that I saw boards on the windows recently. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We had discussed plans for a two story building on the corner of Fulton and Lexington a while back. Looks like it’s now going to be 4 stories and they got approval to knock down a building w/ apartments to add parking. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/gr-planning-commission-oks-parking-plan-for-west-side-development/

 

A593C2B1-8EE1-4BDA-8724-86213B3DCB2F.webp
it’ll add some nice density to that stretch of west Fulton. 

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some interesting tidbits in the PC's agenda packet

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=4800&Inline=True

It starts on page 228. Sounds like the developer also has plans next door (to the west on Fulton):

"It is also important to note that the applicant also owns the (4) parcels directly west on Fulton & Gold and has plans for multifamily housing development. The buildings are similar in design and will harmoniously work together when fully constructed. When completed, and as planned per the ASP, the 616 Fulton building at 5- stories, will cascade west with this development at 4-stories, at the Fulton & Gold at 3-stories."

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

We had discussed plans for a two story building on the corner of Fulton and Lexington a while back. Looks like it’s now going to be 4 stories and they got approval to knock down a building w/ apartments to add parking. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/gr-planning-commission-oks-parking-plan-for-west-side-development/

I'm guessing the building getting demolished is 15 Lexington NW? I feel like this is a dumb question, but as a non-property-developer — why don't they just build a two-level parking structure instead of tearing down existing buildings? Five units isn't nothing to just erase for the sake of cars.

Edited by ZAP!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ZAP! said:

I'm guessing the building getting demolished is 15 Lexington NW? I feel like this is a dumb question, but as a non-property-developer — why don't they just build a two-level parking structure instead of tearing down existing buildings? Five units isn't nothing to just erase for the sake of cars.

According to the article it's already empty.  I think the logic is that putting the structure on that site allows them more viability for the building on Fulton as well as the Lexington School conversion into residential which would be a significant net gain in housing units between the two.  Hopefully it would also spur investment in the existing properties on Lexington as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MJLO said:

According to the article it's already empty.  I think the logic is that putting the structure on that site allows them more viability for the building on Fulton as well as the Lexington School conversion into residential which would be a significant net gain in housing units between the two.  Hopefully it would also spur investment in the existing properties on Lexington as well.

Putting up a 2 story parking structure is also a huge expense. Looking at the original concept, it had parking on the property, but it was a smaller building. I think the parking on another lot allowed them to build a bigger, denser building on that site. And if they plan to build residential as part of the overall plan, it seems like a win all around. 

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.