New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

On 6/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, Floyd_Z said:

Looks like the old Lannings restaurant building is (finally) coming down to be replaced by a new DeVries Jewelers space with residential above it.  I'll try to post renderings soon.

New DeVries Jewelers/Residential at the old Lannings site.  Leonard is going to have a ton of development going on.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.01.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.02.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.03.30 PM.png

16 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

New DeVries Jewelers/Residential at the old Lannings site.  Leonard is going to have a ton of development going on.

As i was driving down Leonard, my wife asked:  Why is Leonard traffic always so bad (from 131 to about Freewheeler)?  ..and i can't say I understand it. 

Is is the prevalence of residential and cross streets? or West Side residential density overall?  Core businesses?  Main artery to Walker suburbs like Lake Mich Dr.? I really don't get it.  We've taken to coming in the back way to Mitten (Ann --> Turner --> Quarry) when traveling by bike because it's too  dangerous/congested.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grandrollerz said:

As i was driving down Leonard, my wife asked:  Why is Leonard traffic always so bad (from 131 to about Freewheeler)?  ..and i can't say I understand it. 

Is is the prevalence of residential and cross streets? or West Side residential density overall?  Core businesses?  Main artery to Walker suburbs like Lake Mich Dr.? I really don't get it.  We've taken to coming in the back way to Mitten (Ann --> Turner --> Quarry) when traveling by bike because it's too  dangerous/congested.

All that traffic from the West Side including a lot of Walker all funneling to get to 131 or get from 131 back home (or to businesses). Otherwise it's Ann Street which is kind of convoluted to get to. 

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

All that traffic from the West Side including a lot of Walker all funneling to get to 131 or get from 131 back home (or to businesses). Otherwise it's Ann Street which is kind of convoluted to get to. 

A lot of people also use Leonard to get to Alpine north as well.  In the afternoons Alpine north is sometimes backed up from Ann all the way to Leonard.  I think it also has something to do with the 96 east ramp to 131 south being completely shut down.  Protip: instead of Leonard take Richmond to Scribner or vice/versa or just take Ann St.

On 7/5/2022 at 6:06 PM, Floyd_Z said:

A lot of people also use Leonard to get to Alpine north as well.  In the afternoons Alpine north is sometimes backed up from Ann all the way to Leonard.  I think it also has something to do with the 96 east ramp to 131 south being completely shut down.  Protip: instead of Leonard take Richmond to Scribner or vice/versa or just take Ann St.

The detour for that is completely ridiculous. They're having people go all the way up to West River Drive, get off, and get back on again. No wonder no one is taking that and taking backstreets instead. 

On 7/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, GRDadof3 said:

The detour for that is completely ridiculous. They're having people go all the way up to West River Drive, get off, and get back on again. No wonder no one is taking that and taking backstreets instead. 

The worst part is, IIRC, that ramp from 96 east to 131 south is two lanes.  Couldn’t one lane have been kept open while the other was under whatever construction was deemed necessary then switched?   That project and detour seems like amateur hour from MDOT.

4 hours ago, wingbert said:

The worst part is, IIRC, that ramp from 96 east to 131 south is two lanes.  Couldn’t one lane have been kept open while the other was under whatever construction was deemed necessary then switched?   That project and detour seems like amateur hour from MDOT.

I don't think so, last time I drove W. River Dr under there they were hammering out the entire deck.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

So that's what this must be that I barely got a photo of next to 634 Stocking?20220715_135217.thumb.jpg.fde1a8cb7031fcf163765ec3367513ac.jpg

No these are two different projects.  I think the one pictured will be office, maybe for Compucraft IIRC.  AFIK the Blue Dog project hasn't started.  Blue Dog is a really nice little spot with great food, super underrated, would recommend!

On 7/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, Floyd_Z said:

No these are two different projects.  I think the one pictured will be office, maybe for Compucraft IIRC.  AFIK the Blue Dog project hasn't started.  Blue Dog is a really nice little spot with great food, super underrated, would recommend!

The Guest House will now be BlueDog's Expansion.

image.png.617b0e04aaa9726eb03f902a58447b9d.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, Floyd_Z said:

Our friends live walking distance to blue dog and go so much, one the bartenders comes to social events fairly regularly. Including Newaygo tubing trips!

Point is, that place is beloved. I hope that area builds up more (as it should) so they get more lovin'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Our friends live walking distance to blue dog and go so much, one the bartenders comes to social events fairly regularly. Including Newaygo tubing trips!

Point is, that place is beloved. I hope that area builds up more (as it should) so they get more lovin'

I haven't been there in at least 10 years, for happy hour. I seem to recall they had an appetizer that they were well known for. Can't remember what it was... 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I haven't been there in at least 10 years, for happy hour. I seem to recall they had an appetizer that they were well known for. Can't remember what it was... 

I think it’s the loaded tots or something 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 11:04 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I see that old gas station by Mitten is being renovated. Anyone got the scoop? 

Answering my own question: they're apparently renovating it and interviewing several potential tenants. No specific use yet. 

5 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Alt City is opening a second location. I don't know exactly where. Close to the Mitten though. Very happy for those guys 

I wonder if it's in the old gas station a few doors down that I posted about, that's being renovated. Where is Alt now? 

26 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I’m confused. Is Broadlesf taking over Sovengard’s space or is Drip Drop? Or are they each taking a floor (which would be really great)?

Drip Drop sounds like a pretty cool concept:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/drip-drop-cocktail-room-coming-to-grand-rapids-bridge-street/amp/

I’m also confused, I was talking with a friend who works for Broad Leaf just last week and he was talking about them opening on Bridge St but this is the first I’m hearing about this place. Does sound cool though!

55 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I’m confused. Is Broadlesf taking over Sovengard’s space or is Drip Drop? Or are they each taking a floor (which would be really great)?

Drip Drop sounds like a pretty cool concept:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/drip-drop-cocktail-room-coming-to-grand-rapids-bridge-street/amp/

They're going to be operated as separate spaces (thank god), with Drip Drop upstairs and Broadleaf downstairs and the beirgarten. I'm beyond excited to welcome Broadleaf to the Westside, their beer, cocktails, food and vibe will be a nice addition to that strip. 

• Like 2