New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

22 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

just looked at 810 fulton on google earth....i really like those. I can think of several lots in Creston where similar infill would work really well.

Wonder if they'll do something very similar on Seward. 810 Fulton is 5 townhouses as well (the amount listed in the building permit).

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 9.18.49 AM.png

• Like 1

Got a better look (and photos) of the project on Seward. The foundation is in, and from the looks of it, I think it will be VERY similar to the development on Fulton. It looks like entrances to 4 units will be on Seward, and there is a separate building with one unit on Seward Can't imagine it'll be long before they are framing it. 

A few other west side updates:

1. The old Harmony Hall (Sip Shine) looks like it is under construction. Orion trailers in the parking lot, some windows closed off, etc. 

2. The building with the proposed Gin Gin on Summer looks to be in full swing. Lots of activity in the loading dock area (where it will be filled in) and a wolverine construction sign w/ hard hat only signs, etc. 

3. The west side is definitely my favorite area of downtown right now. Full of life (even on a Sunday morning), and teeming with potential. Can wait to see a couple of bigger infill projects in this area. 

4. The development on Fulton is coming along nicely. I'd imagine it'll be done this summer. 

5. The Starbucks on Winter is quite large. I stopped by and got a drink, it was totally dead on a Sunday, but imagine it's a busy place during the week (and easy parking for those looking to grab a drink and go).

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0477.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonesey said:

This is just phase one of the project, correct?  I thought they were going to develop the other lots?

Yes. As part of the demolition of a few homes on Lexington, they said  they’d be adding residential in phase 2. 

they also have a construction fence further west on Fulton (which I think is used for staging). Wonder if they’ll eventually develop that property. 

Looks like the building on Leonard / Front is on the planning commission agenda for late January ("260 Leonard"):

• Ten-story mixed-use building
  • 140 apartments
  • 2 first-floor commercial suites
  • 157 structured parking spaces
  • Public access to riverfront and future riverwalk

Looks like they need an exemption for the additional height (that area is zoned w/ a max height of 5 stories, which seems archaic).

1629054472_ScreenShot2023-01-10at9_43_00AM.thumb.png.5030756b427ca4102a7ed1fce65b97e4.png1333802329_ScreenShot2023-01-10at9_41_57AM.thumb.png.355894b9545d7db31db9576a85281f5f.png1125774796_ScreenShot2023-01-10at9_41_26AM.thumb.png.51528521568ce9325f7e9d25ba6ec6fd.png1748205413_ScreenShot2023-01-10at9_40_58AM.thumb.png.fb79361cbed8b36e8fd74c2023c3d619.png

• Like 2

A few blocks west of Seward on Sibley there’s a nice little infill project going on, in what had been an empty lot. Looks to be two 2-3 bedrooms apartments. Great to see more of these popping up around the neighborhood.
46ce41eaa5249cfcc1e0caf8e61a4a7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by thebeerqueer
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Looks like the building on Leonard / Front is on the planning commission agenda for late January ("260 Leonard"):

• 140 apartments

Looks like they need an exemption for the additional height (that area is zoned w/ a max height of 5 stories, which seems archaic).

1629054472_ScreenShot2023-01-10at9_43_00AM.thumb.png.5030756b427ca4102a7ed1fce65b97e4.png1333802329_ScreenShot2023-01-10at9_41_57AM.thumb.png.355894b9545d7db31db9576a85281f5f.png1125774796_ScreenShot2023-01-10at9_41_26AM.thumb.png.51528521568ce9325f7e9d25ba6ec6fd.png1748205413_ScreenShot2023-01-10at9_40_58AM.thumb.png.fb79361cbed8b36e8fd74c2023c3d619.png

hmmm, plans and elevations appear to contradict each other regarding the presence of windows on the short ends

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

• 140 apartments

I really hope this gets built!  I also hope we see much more height outside of downtown and I agree the height restrictions are archaic.  I get it, we don't want a 40 story tower in a residential neighborhood, but why can't the business districts and main arteries have some height like a real city?  Also, it's an industrial area, who would complain?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonesey said:

I really hope this gets built!  I also hope we see much more height outside of downtown and I agree the height restrictions are archaic.  I get it, we don't want a 40 story tower in a residential neighborhood, but why can't the business districts and main arteries have some height like a real city?  Also, it's an industrial area, who would complain?

I think the height limits in that area are set artificially low so developers opt-in to the optional height bonus that comes with allowing public access to the river.

2 hours ago, Jonesey said:

The location is pretty great too. Walking distance to 3 different business districts (Leonard, Monroe North, and Creston)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

I think the height limits in that area are set artificially low so developers opt-in to the optional height bonus that comes with allowing public access to the river.

In the agenda it actually says that the height is 4 stories, with a height bonus of one story. So I don't think they are set artificially low. I think the city needs to re-think it. Especially in that stretch where there is nothing but the river and the highway. Nothing really blocking height there.

Joe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonesey said:

You mean like that new skyscraper in Ottawa that's literally on the same block as single family houses?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claridge_Icon

Edited by Cookin_peacocks

17 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

In the agenda it actually says that the height is 4 stories, with a height bonus of one story. So I don't think they are set artificially low. I think the city needs to re-think it. Especially in that stretch where there is nothing but the river and the highway. Nothing really blocking height there.

Joe

I agree it probably needs to be changed. I suspect they thought 4 stories with an option for a fifth was pushing the market when the ordinance was written several years ago. Apparently that was actually an undersell.  A 4 story limit if you don't provide riverfront access, and unlimited height if you do, would probably make more sense. 

14 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

You mean like that new skyscraper in Ottawa that's literally on the same block as single family houses?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claridge_Icon

That's the defining urban form of Midtown Atlanta, too. And GR already has a mini-version with Heritage Hill and the Medical Mile being right next to each other.  If you stand at the corner of Lyon and Lafayette, you are surrounded by trees and front porches, but with two tower cranes looming overhead. 

Edited by Khorasaurus1

2 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

I agree it probably needs to be changed. I suspect they though 4 stories with an option for a fifth was pushing the market when the ordinance was written several years ago. Apparently that was actually an undersell.  A 4 story limit if you don't provide riverfront access, and unlimited height if you do, would probably make more sense. 

That's the defining urban form of Midtown Atlanta, too. And GR already has a mini-version with Heritage Hill and the Medical Mile being right next to each other.  If you stand at the corner of Lyon and Lafayette, you are surrounded by trees and front porches, but with two tower cranes looming overhead. 

I always got the impression that if Heritage Hill wasn't what it is, it would be gone by now with higher density projects making the transition more organic. 

You're beginning to see that on the west side as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I always got the impression that if Heritage Hill wasn't what it is, it would be gone by now with higher density projects making the transition more organic. 

You're beginning to see that on the west side as well.

I think Heritage Hill's historic designation came about to prevent this from happening:
Unearthed in the archives: 1960 downtown Grand Rapids sketch hints at the  city's past and future - mlive.com

• Like 4

Not too far off from what actually got built. We saved the Peacock building rather than a concrete donut  theater so popular of the day, built a different version of City hall. Oh, yeah and replaced the absolute seas of parking with ramps and other buildings resulting in billions more in economic activity than a parking lot can ever produce.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Sip Shine (old Harmony Hall) was approved. It's going to get a rooftop bar, which should have a great view of the city:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/sip-shine-tasting-room-restaurant-rooftop-bar-ok-d-for-grand-rapids-west-side

Pictures, well, watercolor renderings are here.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/grand-rapids/watercolor-renderings-showcase-gr-based-moonshine-company-tasting-room-restaurant-set-to-open-june-2023

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

184271635_ScreenShot2023-02-07at4_48_25PM.thumb.png.96e99a8bc4d7f6ee2ca5e7a42271bbda.png

More momentum spreading further west down Bridge.  The old Duthlers is finally being redeveloped.  Partial demo to convert it into a dining area and parking for food trucks outback.  Pretty sweet concept that will probably do great.

I hope we see some plans for the church property just kitty corner from here.

More info in the latest PC agenda packet

Edited by Jonesey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jonesey said:

184271635_ScreenShot2023-02-07at4_48_25PM.thumb.png.96e99a8bc4d7f6ee2ca5e7a42271bbda.png

More momentum spreading further west down Bridge.  The old Duthlers is finally being redeveloped.  Partial demo to convert it into a dining area and parking for food trucks outback.  Pretty sweet concept that will probably do great.

I hope we see some plans for the church property just kitty corner from here.

More info in the latest PC agenda packet

Would love to see something like Little Fleet in Traverse City. I feel like something like that would do great here