New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

On 2/7/2023 at 4:53 PM, Jonesey said:

184271635_ScreenShot2023-02-07at4_48_25PM.thumb.png.96e99a8bc4d7f6ee2ca5e7a42271bbda.png

More momentum spreading further west down Bridge.  The old Duthlers is finally being redeveloped.  Partial demo to convert it into a dining area and parking for food trucks outback.  Pretty sweet concept that will probably do great.

I hope we see some plans for the church property just kitty corner from here.

More info in the latest PC agenda packet

Finally!!! :alc:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The agenda packet says "The Back Lot" has locations in Petoskey, Charlevoix, and opening one in Marquette.  https://www.thebacklotpetoskey.com/ 

Also, https://www.thebacklotbars.com/

Joe

I've been to the one in Petoskey a few times. It is awesome and a very welcome addition to GR. Very similar to Little Fleet in TC if anyone has been there. 

Also the renderings for the Marquette location look great. They are renovating an old train station. 

rendering-3-1100x619.jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, demhem said:

The Sovengard building renovation is really taking off. They've pulled off a lot of the secondary wood façade that covered the original brick and have a "future home of" sign up. I'll try to take a picture and share. 

They posted a little walk through of the construction site on their Instagram account. After many, many months of no progress they're really going to town on that building. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's an article on Mlive (subscriber only) that says a half block of Winter Street (near Bridge) is going to be permanently narrowed with extra sidewalk space being added (where Butchers Union and O'Tooles currently have temporary seating). They'll also be adding a flashing light for a pedestrian crosswalk. Supposed to be done as early as this Fall.

I'd love to see them do this to Summer Street as well as other restaurants come online.

Joe

• Like 3

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

There's an article on Mlive (subscriber only) that says a half block of Winter Street

The article is a straight lift from the public agenda - http://s3.amazonaws.com/downtowngr.org/ourwork/DDA-March-2023-Agenda-Packet.pdf?mtime=20230303165038&focal=none

It will be a nice improvement, it gets very busy there.  It isn't a woonerf (circa 2015) but every little bit helps [no way in hells I'd bike on Bridge St, yet traffic congestion helps make it walkable].

FqkbpWJWcAE2npP.jpeg

FqkbJKQWIAAxBVH.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 9:00 PM, whitemice said:

The article is a straight lift from the public agenda - http://s3.amazonaws.com/downtowngr.org/ourwork/DDA-March-2023-Agenda-Packet.pdf?mtime=20230303165038&focal=none

It will be a nice improvement, it gets very busy there.  It isn't a woonerf (circa 2015) but every little bit helps [no way in hells I'd bike on Bridge St, yet traffic congestion helps make it walkable].

As someone who used to bike through this corridor quite a bit, I now avoid it like the plague. It's not super great to walk through either, too many people crossing wherever, distracted uber/uber eats/grubhub drivers just stopping in bike lanes whenever they please, etc ...  small rant over ...

Edited by thebeerqueer

5 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

c257584c292804d6958b3adca4fe25a7.jpg
9fccb131f30981188328476336b202a0.jpg

Couple more photos of the little apartment/townhouse project on the SW corner of Sibley and Seward. Looks like living space on the first floors with bedrooms upstairs. Does anyone remember seeing the renderings for these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like this is the wave of the future, lots more projects this size scattered around instead of bigger developments.  Is it just me?

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 9:19 AM, joeDowntown said:

Wonder if they'll do something very similar on Seward. 810 Fulton is 5 townhouses as well (the amount listed in the building permit).

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 9.18.49 AM.png

We speculated that it might look something like this. The foundations match pretty close, and this is the same developer (right around the corner on Fulton).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 4:48 PM, joeDowntown said:

I love how much difference the new windows make:

download (1).png

download.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 4.46.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 4.47.48 PM.png

Just look up @GR_Urbanist:) Posted these a few months back. It's getting a more modern exterior and rooftop deck. Glad they are keeping the original, older section pretty intact (I don't think they should paint the brick on the older section, but oh well).

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Just look up @GR_Urbanist:) Posted these a few months back. It's getting a more modern exterior and rooftop deck. Glad they are keeping the original, older section pretty intact (I don't think they should paint the brick on the older section, but oh well).

For the life of me I kept wondering if it was something that was long known about, and I just missed seeing it! LOL!

But holy cow! That's a big change!

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 10:24 PM, Pattmost20 said:

St. James Church on Bridge Street is going up for sale.

I'm curious to see who ends up buying it. It is such a landmark building, and with development pushing further down bridge, seems like it is ripe for redevelopment. 

I hear this may be under contract... but no idea who.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...