New Holland Brewing Co - The Knickerbocker Brewpub and Distillery - West Side Gateway Project

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

That place was Monte's, then the Establishment, then it went back to Monte's, now a new restaurant. I wonder how long before it goes back to Monte's again? :P

I think until some of these market rate projects start filling up, we're going to see a large turnover of restaurants downtown and near downtown. There are only so many people you can draw from the burbs to eat downtown.  And to the West Side? I think a lot of people are just warming up to the idea that downtown is safe.

I couldn't agree more. Until there is a steady supply of neighborhood people frequenting these 'establishments' (see what I did there), they'll be changing hands/models/concepts until one works with the area.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mgreven said:

Steel Cat Bar....Konkle's is no more.

https://www.facebook.com/Steel-Cat-Bar-760540944074027/

No more Konkle's, Monte's or Louie's.  That's changed fast.  Those were the places that had the biggest "challenges" - all different "challenges" but issues none the less.

That stretch of bars was rough. We'll have to see how it changes. Fingers crossed.

7 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

The liquor store on the corner is the problem too.  I was at an event on that stretch of road and could not count the amount of public urination I  saw on two hands.  There are new pockets of great new development that I hope deter such things.

I believe the liquor store has been sold, too.  Yes, lots of public urination around there.

1 hour ago, mgreven said:

I believe the liquor store has been sold, too.  Yes, lots of public urination around there.

You guys are beginning to sound just like the Heartside gentrifiers! :P How dare you expect people not to defecate on the sidewalk. 

33 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Douglas Park will be renovated soon. I haven't seen any of the renderings yet but I hope the design doesn't turn into a large public urinal.

Here they are. I saw them online a few weeks ago but didn't know if anyone was interested (until now).

23004155894_e9d6c0ea9f_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2015 at 10:31 AM, GRDadof3 said:

That place was Monte's, then the Establishment, then it went back to Monte's, now a new restaurant. I wonder how long before it goes back to Monte's again? :P

I think until some of these market rate projects start filling up, we're going to see a large turnover of restaurants downtown and near downtown. There are only so many people you can draw from the burbs to eat downtown.  And to the West Side? I think a lot of people are just warming up to the idea that downtown is safe. 

At the last JBAN board meeting we heard a presentation about the new concept for Monte's ... wait for it ...  a full-on sit down restaurant. No more thumping music, no more Axe body spray, no more fights in the street, no more puking on the sidewalk; ah good times. They're going in front of planning commission in May and should have all of the final renderings then. There's a courtyard/patio area in the SW corner that looks interesting. 

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

At the last JBAN board meeting we heard a presentation about the new concept for Monte's ... wait for it ...  a full-on sit down restaurant. No more thumping music, no more Axe body spray, no more fights in the street, no more puking on the sidewalk; ah good times. They're going in front of planning commission in May and should have all of the final renderings then. There's a courtyard/patio area in the SW corner that looks interesting. 

Southwest corner? On the roof? I didn't think there was any open space in the back other than an alley. 

3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Southwest corner? On the roof? I didn't think there was any open space in the back other than an alley. 

Not on the roof but in the SW corner of the lot. Maybe some demolition to make space? Also, the parent company, also owners of multiple restaurants and bars, will be renovating the second level and moving their offices (10 or so people) to the new space. 

6 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Not on the roof but in the SW corner of the lot. Maybe some demolition to make space? Also, the parent company, also owners of multiple restaurants and bars, will be renovating the second level and moving their offices (10 or so people) to the new space. 

Yeah, it's pretty landlocked. Probably demolishing part of the back storage area? 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bridge+St+NW+%26+Summer+Ave+NW,+Grand+Rapids,+MI+49504/@42.9691811,-85.68064,143a,20y,41.69t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8819add6cf40edab:0x84080c2aa7c69fb2

Anything you can share via message? 

I have copies of the renderings but not digital versions. Our meetings are open to the public so nothing confidential was shared. So ask away!

The proposed name is 'Butcher's Union', but no real affiliation to anything 'butcher-y', (seems a little hokey to me). The design looks nice and casual. The seating capacity is going way down from the Monte's meat market days. Cafe seating out front as well.

They also own O'Toole's and will be adding outdoor seating on Winter. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2016 at 11:39 AM, thebeerqueer said:

I have copies of the renderings but not digital versions. Our meetings are open to the public so nothing confidential was shared. So ask away!

The proposed name is 'Butcher's Union', but no real affiliation to anything 'butcher-y', (seems a little hokey to me). The design looks nice and casual. The seating capacity is going way down from the Monte's meat market days. Cafe seating out front as well.

They also own O'Toole's and will be adding outdoor seating on Winter. 

Here's some more info on that:

http://www.grbj.com/articles/85227

On 5/11/2016 at 5:33 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Here's some more info on that:

http://www.grbj.com/articles/85227

Interesting description of the outdoor seating area:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/05/meat-centric_gastro_pub_will_h.html

Part of the plan includes taking off a 600-square-foot section of roof to create outdoor seating.

Instead of a roof, the rear of Butcher's Union will be open to the sky and surrounded by existing 12-foot-high walls.

"The walls will stay and then we'll put some wood beams across the top of the whole courtyard to support the walls so they don't fall in,

9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Interesting description of the outdoor seating area:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/05/meat-centric_gastro_pub_will_h.html

Part of the plan includes taking off a 600-square-foot section of roof to create outdoor seating.

Instead of a roof, the rear of Butcher's Union will be open to the sky and surrounded by existing 12-foot-high walls.

"The walls will stay and then we'll put some wood beams across the top of the whole courtyard to support the walls so they don't fall in,

At first I thought this was a crazy idea.  Sure, it’s OK to put a few tables out front for three or four months during the summer, but spend all that money to tear off your roof and expose your diners and drinkers to the weather year round, no way.  But then I thought to myself, you are just an old man stuck in your ways, these guys might actually be forward thinking geniuses.  This might work.  With global warming we are likely to end up with southern California weather pretty soon and then open air seating will be pretty attractive all the time.  I wonder how much it will cost to take down my garage and put up a carport

10 hours ago, walker said:

At first I thought this was a crazy idea.  Sure, it’s OK to put a few tables out front for three or four months during the summer, but spend all that money to tear off your roof and expose your diners and drinkers to the weather year round, no way.  But then I thought to myself, you are just an old man stuck in your ways, these guys might actually be forward thinking geniuses.  This might work.  With global warming we are likely to end up with southern California weather pretty soon and then open air seating will be pretty attractive all the time.  I wonder how much it will cost to take down my garage and put up a carport

Think how much money Founders invested in their "bier garten" out in front, yet it has drastically changed the feel of the place, even when it's not fully open. Add some heaters and fire elements outside and you can squeak out 5 months. I think in the summer it's hard to compete with places with patios, and compete with everyone fleeing the city in the summer months for the lakeshore and up north. 

Archived