New Holland Brewing Co - The Knickerbocker Brewpub and Distillery - West Side Gateway Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was outside in the area around the new NHBC/Gateway (probably what I'll always call it) and it's the first development district that feels like a Chicago L neighborhood. The old architecture of differing heights (Monte's block, Swift Printing, even the fire station), a somewhat industrial vibe, mixed with the new street wall, and the S-curve which actually reminds me of the elevated trains in a way. I love it. I foresee the West Side becoming the place to be for those in the know. Downtown will (unfortunately) become "Douchebags of Dorr" central for the bar scene, except for the new BOB venue events when it draws cool people. In fact, that's much like Chicago. Rush Street and Wrigleyville = Downtown Grand Rapids. West Loop = West Side. 

16 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I was outside in the area around the new NHBC/Gateway (probably what I'll always call it) and it's the first development district that feels like a Chicago L neighborhood. The old architecture of differing heights (Monte's block, Swift Printing, even the fire station), a somewhat industrial vibe, mixed with the new street wall, and the S-curve which actually reminds me of the elevated trains in a way. I love it. I foresee the West Side becoming the place to be for those in the know. Downtown will (unfortunately) become "Douchebags of Dorr" central for the bar scene, except for the new BOB venue events when it draws cool people. In fact, that's much like Chicago. Rush Street and Wrigleyville = Downtown Grand Rapids. West Loop = West Side. 

Oh. My. God. This post is everything. After living in Chicago for 6 years we are gearing up to move to Grand Rapids in two weeks (from today actually!) and I can not tell you how often we describe the downtown/adjacent neighborhoods by using Chicago neighborhoods/personas. The last time we lived in Grand Rapids was when we still thought downtown was "cool," and the past few visits we've been mortified by the crowds down in center city on the weekends. "Douchebags of Dorr..." if you will...

Anyway, it has made for a nightmare in trying to finalize a spot for our store because a year ago we would have said it was important to go downtown and really help support retail there, but oh my gosh we really just don't feel like downtown is the place for us. Adjacent it is! Thanks for the laugh haha.

11 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Oh. My. God. This post is everything. After living in Chicago for 6 years we are gearing up to move to Grand Rapids in two weeks (from today actually!) and I can not tell you how often we describe the downtown/adjacent neighborhoods by using Chicago neighborhoods/personas. The last time we lived in Grand Rapids was when we still thought downtown was "cool," and the past few visits we've been mortified by the crowds down in center city on the weekends. "Douchebags of Dorr..." if you will...

Anyway, it has made for a nightmare in trying to finalize a spot for our store because a year ago we would have said it was important to go downtown and really help support retail there, but oh my gosh we really just don't feel like downtown is the place for us. Adjacent it is! Thanks for the laugh haha.

I think that's the natural progression of any city. Downtown gets revitalized first and it draws the pioneers. Once it gets gentrified and feels safe enough, the DofD start having wedding parties there, bachelorette parties, pickup trucks with monster truck pipes, wootin-bar-hoppin get togethers, you know the rest. Though those people don't stick around long enough to support the retail scene, particularly a locally owned retail scene. The only way to overcome that is with an injection of some major national brands, which downtown GR is starting to see. 

One of my favorite shopping neighborhoods in Chicago is the Armitage stop off the brown line? If done properly Bridge Street has the makings of a similar vibe. 

Just now, GRDadof3 said:

One of my favorite shopping neighborhoods in Chicago is the Armitage stop off the brown line? If done properly Bridge Street has the makings of a similar vibe. 

Yeah Armitage, Wellington, Diversy, etc. all have great little shopping/dining pods. Also, Andersonville has an amazing mix of retail, dining, entertainment, etc. Probably one of the best districts in the entire city just because it has such an amazing mix of generations, types of people, reasons to be on Clark, etc. Our dream is to help restore a sense of that in a neighborhood in GR. For us, it is looking more like Wealthy Street, BUT Bridge does still have our eye and we have a tiny bit of time to decide. The real challenge on Bridge is finding the right space.

6 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Yeah Armitage, Wellington, Diversy, etc. all have great little shopping/dining pods. Also, Andersonville has an amazing mix of retail, dining, entertainment, etc. Probably one of the best districts in the entire city just because it has such an amazing mix of generations, types of people, reasons to be on Clark, etc. Our dream is to help restore a sense of that in a neighborhood in GR. For us, it is looking more like Wealthy Street, BUT Bridge does still have our eye and we have a tiny bit of time to decide. The real challenge on Bridge is finding the right space.

What type of shop are you opening? Don't have to be too specific if you don't want, just curious. 

Wealthy has some nice spots. I still think Cherry is the best street in GR, but I agree, Bridge Street just might take it to the next level. 

Joe

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

What type of shop are you opening? Don't have to be too specific if you don't want, just curious. 

Wealthy has some nice spots. I still think Cherry is the best street in GR, but I agree, Bridge Street just might take it to the next level. 

Joe

Sure, the store itself isn't much of a secret at this point. We are opening Books & Mortar Bookstore and Cafe. At this point we are determined to make a particular East Hills location work, but that of course is pending the timing and final details, so we have to remain a tiny bit open to back up locations. That said, we really see it on the East side. I guess we will soon see.

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I think that's the natural progression of any city. Downtown gets revitalized first and it draws the pioneers. Once it gets gentrified and feels safe enough, the DofD start having wedding parties there, bachelorette parties, pickup trucks with monster truck pipes, wootin-bar-hoppin get togethers, you know the rest. Though those people don't stick around long enough to support the retail scene, particularly a locally owned retail scene. The only way to overcome that is with an injection of some major national brands, which downtown GR is starting to see. 

DofD slayed me!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I hope NHBC doesn't attract that DofD crowd. I feel like New Holland is one of the more 'approachable' breweries that could appeal to a more bro-y/Monte's crowd. I just hope the vibe of this place doesn't allow for that crowd. It will be really interesting to see the changes the 616 Lofts on Alabama project bring to Bridge St. They've got 100 1-2 bedroom units in the whole project, that's a nice bump in residency for that area. 

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes ... 

59 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

DofD slayed me!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I hope NHBC doesn't attract that DofD crowd. I feel like New Holland is one of the more 'approachable' breweries that could appeal to a more bro-y/Monte's crowd. I just hope the vibe of this place doesn't allow for that crowd. It will be really interesting to see the changes the 616 Lofts on Alabama project bring to Bridge St. They've got 100 1-2 bedroom units in the whole project, that's a nice bump in residency for that area. 

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes ... 

With New Holland being close to GVSU and many of the student housing on that side of 131, I do think that it will have a good deal of DofD crowd.  Depending on how crowded it is, early on, it may pull some of the fair-weather Founders friends over to it "Newness".  Parking is an issue there, If you can't park you are more likely to walk, meaning more locals.

5 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

With New Holland being close to GVSU and many of the student housing on that side of 131, I do think that it will have a good deal of DofD crowd.  Depending on how crowded it is, early on, it may pull some of the fair-weather Founders friends over to it "Newness".  Parking is an issue there, If you can't park you are more likely to walk, meaning more locals.

I disagree on the DofD's. I think they may cruise by it but they won't see parking right out in front so they'll roar their Hemi engines back over to downtown. 

You might get more of an East Hills large-car contingent, mixed with Weeest Siiiiders (!). Union Square, LMD and the other nearby apartment dwellers will probably go there a lot. Who goes to Harmony Hall? It will be a lot of those people. 

I think Arcadia will be much the same. 

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I disagree on the DofD's. I think they may cruise by it but they won't see parking right out in front so they'll roar their Hemi engines back over to downtown. 

You might get more of an East Hills large-car contingent, mixed with Weeest Siiiiders (!). Union Square, LMD and the other nearby apartment dwellers will probably go there a lot. Who goes to Harmony Hall? It will be a lot of those people. 

I think Arcadia will be much the same. 

I completely agree, if they don't see immediate parking they'll speed away. Some may realize there's plenty of parking a block or two away but those are the people that you want in your neighborhood. Willing to walk. Willing to try another place along the way. Down to try new things. 

Arcadia?? Do you mean Atwater in the Rowe?

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I completely agree, if they don't see immediate parking they'll speed away. Some may realize there's plenty of parking a block or two away but those are the people that you want in your neighborhood. Willing to walk. Willing to try another place along the way. Down to try new things. 

Arcadia?? Do you mean Atwater in the Rowe?

Yes, Atwater. Somebody messaged me too asking the same thing. :) 

On 5/17/2016 at 0:00 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I love this way of thinking.  The way in which near and outlying neighborhoods to downtown will develop their own character and walkability is one thing that will really set GR apart from other towns in the future.  So many midwestern downtowns feel cut off from their cities, either by freeways, industrial lots, blighted areas, etc.; but despite all of GR's own problems with those issues it's still managed to keep downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods developing together.

I feel as GR grows, it just gets more and more... Streetcar-able.  Anyone else feel this way?

• 1 month later...

It it just me or does it seem like they need to double-time it on New Holland to have it done before ArtPrize? I know it's at the other end of this wall but still seems like it's got a long way to go. 

27657913190_2ea02eddb0_b.jpg

BTW I like the height of this project now that it's topped out. You can see it from all around. 

On 6/27/2016 at 7:37 AM, GRDadof3 said:

It it just me or does it seem like they need to double-time it on New Holland to have it done before ArtPrize? I know it's at the other end of this wall but still seems like it's got a long way to go. 

BTW I like the height of this project now that it's topped out. You can see it from all around. 

I think the Brewery part of this project is further along than the apartment side.  I agree, the massing is great, and complements the Swift building on the other side of the street.  

8 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I think the Brewery part of this project is further along than the apartment side.  I agree, the massing is great, and complements the Swift building on the other side of the street.  

You're right, I looked again the other day and the brewery end is further along. And the upper floors are all bricked in. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived