1059 and 1106 Wealthy St Redevelopment Projects

uncus

Hey, I actually do like some stuff!  I'm not always a curmudgeon.   :fun: 

I was being a bit harsh. :) I actually agree with you on most architectural issues. I do think that you sometimes have unrealistic expectations, but I don't think it's unrealistic to expect better than this POS rendering. :thumbsup:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I actually do like some stuff!  I'm not always a curmudgeon.   :fun:  That newish Uptown Village building on Wealthy is quite nice, actually.  I'm not 100% in love with the somewhat wonky roofline, but in general, it's a good example of how to get an infill project right.  This one looks like the residential chunk was drawn by a guy who couldn't give a rip, with the commercial chunk drawn by a guy on acid.

I do agree with you on that one. Looks like the motel from Breaking Bad or something.

Street%20Front%20Exterior%202.jpg

Google_Maps_Crossroad_Motel_Albuquerque_

I was confused when I saw these. Why are the 'back' buildings well rendered in color, and the building that faces Wealthy looks like it a black and white photocopy? Weird.

Joe

Two different firms.  The front building is URS, and rear is Concept Design.  Not sure why URS did not use color?  

Now that you mention it Jeff, the URS design does look like an old motor inn.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1059 Wealthy has a new site plan posted on the the East Hills web site

http://easthillscouncil.org/news/1059-wealthy-street-se-0

There are a number of things on this that i find very impressive

1.  Removes the grade issue between the property and calkins, bring the town homes on calkins to street level

2. Calkins is widened giving room for parallel parking and a SIDEWALK!

3. Parking is distributed throughout the site, instead of one huge lot in the center.

4.  Fair amount of green space/trees in the plan

150909_SITEPLAN (1).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/8/2015 at 11:13 PM, uncus said:

Some more images of the proposed development at 1059 wealthy

Sounds like the advisory meeting with the historic preservation commission went well 

1059 front.JPG

1059side.JPG

1059 top.JPG

This project is on the city's permit list. Has demo begun on the old McDonalds building? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, uncus said:

Project at 1059 wealthy is moving right along. Second of three stories on calkins building up and footings poured for building facing wealthy. I hear they are hoping to be done April if 20171b2846d6b6971fcbe33628c4db6f465b.jpg

Uncus, your photo ended up being a broken link. Can you try uploading again? I'd love to see the pic. 

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

1059 wealthy AKA the FreylingMendels building has a website up.  Included are the floor plans for all the apartments.  What i find most interesting are the photos included in the history section including the one below. Can you imaging those windows on the left facing wealthy st!  I know a married couple who each grew up within a few block of this during the 40s and 50s.  She said she has fond memories of visiting the greenhouse independently as a child to look at the goldfish pond and fountain.  He remembers the place as "humid."

Nursery-1 (1).jpg

Archived