Land Development.com Hotel/Living/Noshville | 25 Stories | 250+ Feet | Proposed

Paramount747

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My excitement level for this one will depend on what's down there at street level.    I'm seeing what looks like a parking garage pedestal, which is often a street killer for pedestrians (and you've already got Palmer Plaza and the Aloft parking garages just up the street).    The retail portion that includes the new Noshville could soften the impact if done properly, but we'll have to see.     From the garage up, it looks great.    

Pretty nice design....for a glass box!

What should it be, cylinder shaped? 15 stories with a 10 story crown? Should it have curves and twists essentially doubling the cost just so it can look pretty? Where are all these buildings going up in this country that aren't boxy or squared that everyone is comparing to? I just don't understand why almost every render that pops up I see the same ole response every time. "Oh look...a box."  Well...what exactly are you expecting to see really? Remember folks...Nashville is NOT Chicago or NYC. Rents, office space etc. don't go for tens of thousands of dollars a square foot here, so don't expect to see designs that reflect that. 

P.S. Sorry for the rant. Just a little annoyed today I guess. 

What should it be, cylinder shaped? 15 stories with a 10 story crown? Should it have curves and twists essentially doubling the cost just so it can look pretty? Where are all these buildings going up in this country that aren't boxy or squared that everyone is comparing to? I just don't understand why almost every render that pops up I see the same ole response every time. "Oh look...a box."  Well...what exactly are you expecting to see really? Remember folks...Nashville is NOT Chicago or NYC. Rents, office space etc. don't go for tens of thousands of dollars a square foot here, so don't expect to see designs that reflect that. 

P.S. Sorry for the rant. Just a little annoyed today I guess. 

UMMMM, how about this?  http://www.big.dk/#projects

UMMMM, how about this?  http://www.big.dk/#projects

Lol...I saw him speak back on 2010 or so in Philly at either the AIA or Construction Specifications Institute national convention. My first thought was "Cool, but who can afford that?"

His book Yes Is More is pretty cool to have sitting around on your book case.  

^That's the problem John. Your looking at stuff from some major design firm based out of Denmark and NYC, who by the looks of it only do stuff in two major US cities, NYC and Miami.  Most of all their work is in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Perhaps if people stopped looking at what types of designs Shanghai, NYC, London, Dubai, Toronto, Honk Kong etc are getting, and thinking that's the standard for Nashville, then maybe we can get out of this mentality that every building we get should look like some stunning masterpiece.

Try looking at proposals from Austin, Indianapolis, Louisville, OKC, Birmingham, Charlotte, Kansas City, St. Louis, Raleigh and so on, and maybe you won't be as disappointed anymore. 

^That's the problem John. Your looking at stuff from some major design firm based out of Denmark and NYC, who by the looks of it only do stuff in two major US cities, NYC and Miami.  Most of all their work is in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Perhaps if people stopped looking at what types of designs Shanghai, NYC, London, Dubai, Toronto, Honk Kong etc are getting, and thinking that's the standard for Nashville, then maybe we can get out of this mentality that every building we get should look like some stunning masterpiece.

Try looking at proposals from Austin, Indianapolis, Louisville, OKC, Birmingham, Charlotte, Kansas City, St. Louis, Raleigh and so on, and maybe you won't be as disappointed anymore. 

Maybe if the USA embraced better architecture, we would not be so quick to tear down what we have. The US cities you mentioned have no imagination, and no vision. I want to live in a city with vision, not boring glass boxes. Enough said with that. Having a bad week Michael?

I would rather have a striking 5 story building with amazing design elements than a 20 story glass box. Every city has those now. I want something unique.

Archived