The Dillon: Kane's first downtown mixed use project

RALNATIVE

Thank you for the link. From the website it looks as if they have 18 floors listed, minus the 13th, which is of course 17. This must be why the city of Raleigh referred to it as "a 17 story building"? When will our society ever get past such superstitions as the 13th floor being unlucky when our business leaders themselves keep perpetuating such a notion? 

• Like 2

On 9/2/2017 at 11:36 PM, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:

Thank you for the link. From the website it looks as if they have 18 floors listed, minus the 13th, which is of course 17. This must be why the city of Raleigh referred to it as "a 17 story building"? When will our society ever get past such superstitions as the 13th floor being unlucky when our business leaders themselves keep perpetuating such a notion? 

13 is a good number in China. In Hong Kong 4 sounds like death. I went into a hotel there and literally it skipped every floor with a 4. No 4, 14, 24, etc no 40-49 etc. I looked the elevator buttons it looked like  Powerball numbers since so many were missing. It was crazy!   

A new building here in Charlotte had a 13th floor on their website but it soon disappeared and went from 12 to 14th floors! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

To me what really makes this a good project are the two, Hargett Street hugging, mostly bricked apartment buildings with retail below.  They fit in to the warehouse district nicely, and increase the number of street facing retail spaces along Hargett, which is already the best street in that regard. Hargett is such an important connector since it spans from far east past Tarboro, all the way west to behind Trophy Brewing, yet still has little car traffic so bikes and pedestrians have a solid, yet safe, span to experience downtown on. 

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6532.JPG

• Like 2

I agree, the apartments (at least the front side) bring the project to another level.  I think that without them, a 17-story building would look out-of-place in the Warehouse District, and wouldn't add much life to the area.  But with the apartments, there will be people residing in the neighborhood and creating a constant street presence, rather than only in the mornings and evenings.  They also help transition between the mostly-1-2-or-3-story warehouse structures and the main structure of the Dillon.  I'm really hoping that Kane or other developers will continue the transformation of the area, just as long as the building design can maintain the character of the neighborhood. 

Just returned back home from our trip to Raleigh to plan for my upcoming move there for a job relocation. I noticed this going up and thought it was good to help fill in the skyline. I’m not familiar with the area at all but downtown seems to be at the beginning stages of a revival. I noticed a lot of empty or run down lots that are prime to be restored or demolished and made tall.  I think if done properly it can be tall and modern but still retain the history and charm of the city. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 10:30 PM, Merthecat said:

Does anyone know for sure if the City approved the string lights over Hargett St.?  I think the addition of such would add a lot to this (already fabulous) project.

That would be pretty awesome.  I was just in Denver and there are a few streets with string lights downtown that have such an awesome vibe at night.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I kept thinking Earth Fare was missing a chance to capture some urban money here (as opposed to their very suburban oriented tilt), but Weaver St should do extremely well here. Citrix, Boylan Heights and close to a 1000 apartments and condos within 2-3 blocks or here...seems perfect. This also does a great job of keeping the warehouse district heavily laden with unique, locally based businesses. I wonder if they will be in retail space 7 or 8? Or 9 or 10 even....?

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys, but I am slowly growing more and more impressed with this project each day. The retail mix is coming together with really interesting tenants, the one office tenant announced so far sounds super interesting, and the buildings are well-designed. This gets me excited at what this is going to look like in a few years with Union Station opening up and more warehouses attracting attention. Also, this just seems to bode well for the Smokey Hollow project. Kane really knows his markets.

• Like 2