The Dillon: Kane's first downtown mixed use project

RALNATIVE

21 hours ago, InitialD said:

RESEARCH TRIANGLE REGIONAL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION owns the warehouse to the west of the Dillon. They want to do some mixed up redevelopment of it. I wonder if they would partner with Kane?

They'd be smart to.  Kane knows how to execute and deliver on projects for what it's worth.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:54 AM, InitialD said:

RESEARCH TRIANGLE REGIONAL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION owns the warehouse to the west of the Dillon. They want to do some mixed up redevelopment of it. I wonder if they would partner with Kane?

They have already mentioned incorporating a tower of some sort into their bus station plan there. 

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

Is the rooftop deck always open to the public?  I visited once on a First Friday, but wasn't sure if that was just a special occasion.

I think during business hours I just took the elevator to the sky lobby then went outside.  Obviously to go up further there is a guard in place to go to higher floors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

I think during business hours I just took the elevator to the sky lobby then went outside.  Obviously to go up further there is a guard in place to go to higher floors. 

I went to the sky lobby late one evening when construction was still ongoing. The views on a good night are spectacular.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Jones_ said:

Oak looked open for business to me last weekend with valets getting in my way while biking by. It was busy. Three jam packed steakhouses in *downtown Raleigh...whowouldda thunk?

It might have been open maybe it was the retail spot next door they were working on.   Hmmm steaks! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It might have been open maybe it was the retail spot next door they were working on.   Hmmm steaks! 

Peak in the main entrance facing Hargett...it is a tremendously fancy upfit. 

On a side note, I am due for a Charlotte trip. Have done Noda and Southend in the last 24 months. Anything else I need to check out with that vibe in mind, let me know. I plan on setting foot in the 4th ward next time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

Peak in the main entrance facing Hargett...it is a tremendously fancy upfit. 

On a side note, I am due for a Charlotte trip. Have done Noda and Southend in the last 24 months. Anything else I need to check out with that vibe in mind, let me know. I plan on setting foot in the 4th ward next time. 

Contact me and I will give you a tour if you want.   Stonewall Street in uptown has incredibly changed 5 major projects.  Ride the LYNX northward to UNCC campus and see all the growth between uptown and NoDa and now starting also in the University area.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

It does and so does Plaza Midwood along Central Ave where a streetcar will go down eventually.  

What is the main cross street with Davidson St?

I've been to Plaza Midwood. I like going to a Veitnamese restaurant just up Central from Plaza Midwood.

2 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

What is the main cross street with Davidson St?

I've been to Plaza Midwood. I like going to a Veitnamese restaurant just up Central from Plaza Midwood.

Take the light rail to 36th St and that is the heart of the NoDa 36th and N Davidson Streets.  

Getting back to Raleigh I like what you have going on downtown, Glenwood south area and the Warehouse district.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Take the light rail to 36th St and that is the heart of the NoDa 36th and N Davidson Streets.  

Getting back to Raleigh I like what you have going on downtown, Glenwood south area and the Warehouse district.  

I would agree. I'm particularly bullish on the Warehouse district and not just because I live there.

Citrix, the Dillion, Union Station, and now the Food Hall have increased the foot traffic dramatically, and to say that this area has been given a new life is an understatement. I look forward to many good things to come in that area.

• Like 4

I figured it was just a matter of time before the warehouse district went wild, for maybe 3 reasons....1) downtown isn't allowed to grow vertically to the east (no prob with me), 2) it is the junction of Glenwood and downtown proper, (the One Glenwood folks cited this as a factor in their location choice) 3) it has/had the cache of warehouses and artiness that attract modern development. 

FWIW, Glenwood has about as many legit warehouses as the warehouse district does....Creamery, Google, Clouds, Tobacco Road, 42nd street, Melrose Mill (not sure what Samad has in it right now), the Allen complex (south of West at North) and the Tire warehouse adjacent to Melrose which I think is now owned by GoTriangle. I think those warehouses helped Glenwood launch before the warehouse district because they are older and cooler buildings..and also at the time the area was mentally considered an extension of Five Points. Anyway, the warehouse district has finally caught up in blazing fashion. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 3

On 12/8/2018 at 4:15 PM, RALNATIVE said:

I would agree. I'm particularly bullish on the Warehouse district and not just because I live there.

Citrix, the Dillion, Union Station, and now the Food Hall have increased the foot traffic dramatically, and to say that this area has been given a new life is an understatement. I look forward to many good things to come in that area.

And there's more coming.  Steve Schuster of Clearscapes has applied for a rezoning for the lot at the SE corner of W. Martin and Commerce, with the intent to build an 8-12 story residential building on the parking lot behind the brick buildings facing Martin.  This is going to be a great project, and another source of new vitality in the Warehouse District.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Merthecat said:

And there's more coming.  Steve Schuster of Clearscapes has applied for a rezoning for the lot at the SE corner of W. Martin and Commerce, with the intent to build an 8-12 story residential building on the parking lot behind the brick buildings facing Martin.  This is going to be a great project, and another source of new vitality in the Warehouse District.

Wasn't Hatem also proposing a 20+ story project in the Warehouse D?

I've become skeptical of Hatem's plans for highrise projects every since the Lafayette bit the dust.

• Like 1