The Dillon: Kane's first downtown mixed use project

RALNATIVE

2 hours ago, Spatula said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/j-michael-welton/in-raleigh-newtall-and-lo_b_8930920.html

Huffpo article on the project with more renders. It's a bit bulky but the design is pretty tasteful otherwise. Like an improved Progress II basically.

Great article. Thanks for posting.

I think the writer is completely wrong that only the Durham Life building is 'lofty'. All of our classical styled ones are/were beautiful. Sure 4 of them are gone now... Some people think Art Deco/Art Moderne is too brutalist and thus not 'lofty' at all....and SECU is better than the Dillion too....I appreciate the attention and article and all, but just think its written with a bunch of holes in it...

I agree. It's a fairly pretentious statement.

There aren't any stand-out awesome Starchitecture towers downtown but most cities don't have any either. The architecture still compares very favorably to some cities like Richmond, Baltimore, New Orleans for instance... cities with a contamination of brown boxes, and even more favorably to Jacksonville, Memphis and Las Vegas--very unfortunate cities with outright ugly buildings taking prominence in their skylines.

Plus, every building downtown has a different style. Personally I consider the Capital Bank Plaza my favorite unique structure in downtown. Sadly, and it pains me to say this, I think the Skyhouse is the best looking building. The street presence, the materials, the shape, and the way it lights up at night are all very appealing. Unfortunately the same identical building is in many other cities, so it's not something we can claim.

• 1 month later...

Preliminary demo seems to be underway for the Dillion with the building having interior stuff salvaged and removed. Also it looks like some preliminary utility tie in work is taking place north and south of the site (T's being installed is my guess though I didn't get a good look). Interestingly on Hargett near the West intersection, the crews are pulling up some rails and wooden ties. Its some heavy duty stuff...I assumed trolley rails again, but some of the ties look like entire round logs so maybe its some old rough freight rail siding. Not sure. Anyway its an interesting beehive of activity down there with Union Station and HQ Raleigh all turning dirt as well. As an addendum to my previous thoughts about adding some special touches to the Warehouse District to sort of delineate it, I think it'd be cool to preserve a whole block of track in a cobbled street sort of like the little 10 foot section between Pit and Boxcar but actually in the street. 

• 3 weeks later...

New renderings released for the 7 story apartment building (view looking from Legends).  Love how much brick there is and no stucco!  And windows definitely have the warehouse/loft style!  Overall seems like a decent fit and good compliment to the rest of the development and Warehouse District.

Still curious when some of these residential projects will include for-sale condos instead of for-rent apartments.

dillon-apts.jpg

• Like 1

I like it too and think it fits the district perfectly. It does look a lot like Stanhope, but thats ok. Funny how many people on the NewRaleigh twitter hated it. Not sure some of those people have a firm grasp on what exactly they want...just a continuous feed of suggestionless beotching by the followers...not Jed, I generally like his thoughts on things.  

For those of you who don't live, work or otherwise frequent downtown, the Dillion demolition is well under way. The northermost and westernmost sections are mostly gone. a short central smoke stack and the central assembly line space (high ceilinged, skylit space) are still there...I think about a third of the assembly line area is being kept so that the mural/sign will all be there. Looks like some cores were drilled out facing south to put in some retaining anchors of some sort to hold that end up when it approaches an otherwise unstable interim period before new building is erected to properly support it again. Interesting stuff for this area in that using parts of an old structure for a substantially new structure isn't ever seen around here...

• 1 month later...

They are already drilling piles in the center of the block. This, despite hitting a snag while sawing the eastern edge of the old facade that is being kept...looks like they'll have to rebuild a small portion that crumbled away. If piles are going in now, ye old tower crane can't be far off. 

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, InitialD said:

Probably need to clean up these threads because many cover the same topics. Anyway, maybe this is posted somewhere but I haven't seen these renderings of the second Dillon residential or the actual site plan before:

Dillon-Retail-2.jpg

More grey... yuck. Just commit to the brick.

10 hours ago, InitialD said:

Probably need to clean up these threads because many cover the same topics. Anyway, maybe this is posted somewhere but I haven't seen these renderings of the second Dillon residential or the actual site plan before:

Dillon-Retail-2.jpg

Dillon-Supply-Retail-Sketch-Plan-Exhibit

All I've seen is a sort oblique of it a few posts up from yours. This is a way better look though. Agreed the grey, for me, cheapens it and takes away from the warehouse effect. 

On 12/9/2016 at 10:56 PM, Jones_ said:

All I've seen is a sort oblique of it a few posts up from yours. This is a way better look though. Agreed the grey, for me, cheapens it and takes away from the warehouse effect. 

I'll take uninspired grey in exchange for all this ground floor retail. I didn't realize there was so much of it, plus in the second residential building. 

2 hours ago, Green_man said:

If they aren't going use the bricks for the rest of the facade, wish they would brick/ cobblestone the street for this one block of Hargett.  Combined with the overhead string of lights, would kind of help establish this as a retail destination.

Agreed. I've been advocating for some cobble stone areas or at least bricked cross walks in the warehouse district. Plus some industrial style and scale art, gas lighting and stormwater BMP bulb outs at some intersections. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...