The Dillon: Kane's first downtown mixed use project

RALNATIVE

ABC11 has a video with their interview with Kane about the project.  Somehow made me even more excited about it to hear some of the details straight from him.

Residential tower at the Martin Street end, office tower at Hargett St and parking garage in between.  Seems certain to reuse some of the 100 year old brick walls.  (I'd say the Southeast corner is a must!)

I'm also curious of maybe a movie theater making it into this development.

http://abc11.com/society/construction-plans-for-warehouse-district-in-raleigh-/476556/

• Like 2

I am happy with the announcement. Just not the article. When I see a title that reads "BIG TOWER" I am expecting something bigger than 13-20 stories. I was sooo excited then read the article.

Oh yeah, sensational titles are a pain for sure. I think 'tower' gets thrown around way too much.

Green-Man, I do hope some walls get re-used...but I want to correct Kane's comment... I am 100% sure the bricks you see on that exterior are not 100 years old. It's possible some older building got incorporated/swallowed by what we see now but the exterior is probably 1950's. There are some 100 year old bricks in much of the warehouse district though...Boyettes Automotive, old Union Station, Five Star (which also has an older incorporated building in it), NCRR Depot, William Cozart and the club next to it on Davie and several buildings around the viaduct building have smaller older buildings within them or are modernized versions of warehouses built in the late 1800's. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some more info from IndyWeek on this project. The tilt of the article seems to be against any large-scale development in this area under the guise of it taking away the character of the area. Personally, I'm a bit torn - on one hand, I would love for it to keep that industrial feel. On the other, I'd love to see the density and retail that this project would bring. I guess it comes down to what the structures look like and how they integrate with the surrounding area.

Honestly, none of the warehouses down there have the charm of the ones in Durham, sadly. That's just not what Raleigh was back then. So I'm not even sure that keeping the big Dillon Suppy warehouse "Mostly" in tact would even make sense at the base of a tower. Anyway, I'm sure there will be much discussion on this as it comes closer to groundbreaking.

I think there are ways to keep the industrial feel without limiting height to 5 or 6 floors. Kane just needs to keep the industrial feel at the street level. Look at Hue and Dawson. There is absolutely nothing industrial about either of those buildings. The Dillon warehouse that Kane wants to redevelop has an awful street level presence on Martin, and the West and Harrington sides aren't that much better. Is that really what people want to preserve? 

Seems like a candidate for a Liberty Warehouse style development where the "Dillion" wall gets preserved and perhaps some of the steel work exposed over some outdoor seating or something...you might even be able to keep say the entire south frontage and punch in storefronts that go 30 back into the lot or so...

We have renderings and more info on the "Dillon" - an office and mixed use project. It will have more apartments, not condos, so for those of us who'd rather buy, we're still SOL. It incorporates the facade of the Dillon Warehouse, and includes a parking garage that kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Here's the brochure with renderings: http://dtraleigh.com/2015/06/rendering-of-the-dillon-office-and-residential-in-the-warehouse-district/

Edited by Justin6882

It's a really good brochure. I mean….the City as a whole should consider using it even. I'm good on the building. I have actually been hoping something with big broad industrial style windows would come along ala lofts in Richmond. Also the Creamery here has them, but it's office space. The more interesting, south end of the building will still be essentially intact…I mean…..there is nothing inside to preserve except some very non-historic steel beams. Looks like a lot of retail space too. I'm cool with the parking deck even,…it's just like the Citrix one, and appears to also have ground floor retail. 

My only passing concern, is man the warehouse district will be slammed busy all the time after this is complete. But that's what we want right? As long as this doesn't bring pressure to tear down any buildings I want to see remain structurally as-is, like Boyettes Automotive, I don't really see anything negative. 

By the way, the tone of the brochure is that this is a go, and a go pretty soon. I'm pretty happy about that as well...

Maybe I am confused, but am I seeing four buildings in this development?  There are the two towers, the parking deck, and then on the far right a 5-6 story building that looks residential.  Is this also part of the project?  

Yeah that looks like another building adjacent to the old Jillians/Vintage Church space. 

I think that also that the office part is the 20 story building and the 9/10 story one with Dillion facade is residential based on reading the brochure, though the pictures look the other way around with the 20 story one having balconies. 

Edited by Jones_

Yeah that looks like another building adjacent to the old Jillians/Vintage Church space. 

I think that also that the office part is the 20 story building and the 9/10 story one with Dillion facade is residential based on reading the brochure, though the pictures look the other way around with the 20 story one having balconies. 

I'm confused on that too. It mentions a 5th floor pool. Unless, it's on top of the parking garage, then idk where that's going

Also the floor heights and the large span windows of the 9 story building look more typical of an office building.  The 320 apartments is the same number as Skyhouse, so that would make sense that maybe the residential will be in the 20 story tower and the 6 story building.  Another observation, I wonder if the parking garage extends into the bottom 6 floors of the tower?

Wish they would brick the entire facades of the 6 story building.  And wish they would put a brick facade over the exposed parking garage - what about reusing brick salvaged from the demolition of the existing warehouse?

Love the project though!  Especially the south end!

Holy crap. What a quality project. Kane has obviously done his homework. They did a better job with the brick facade along Martin & Harrington than I would have thought possible. Reminds me of the Hayes-Hopson building in Asheville where they punched a bunch of holes in a mostly blank masonry wall to turn it into Pack's Tavern.

121008demolition.jpg

packstavern.jpg

I'm confused on that too. It mentions a 5th floor pool. Unless, it's on top of the parking garage, then idk where that's going

That's actually pretty common.

I think that clearly the 9-story portion is the office part. Notice: no balconies, each floor is taller, the overall fenestration pattern just feels like an office. Also, you won't fit 320 apartments into a 9-story building of that size.

I would like a clearer rendering of the portion north of Hargett.

• 3 weeks later...

And the downsizing begins. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article26705110.html  Then there is this little nugget. This guy is really going all out. First he has an article written in the Indy, now he has made this video. https://vimeo.com/132927861

Edited by Euphorius

Kolkin, a doctor who said he also lives in The Dawson, talked about the health risks of sleep deprivation when asking Kane to prohibit bars at the proposed project. He recalled the complaints of some Fayetteville Street residents who said bar activity keeps them up late.

Stuff like this annoys me.  This is downtown, are you kidding me?  Do you even realize where you live?  There's a bar in your own building!

• Like 1

And the downsizing begins. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article26705110.html  Then there is this little nugget. This guy is really going all out. First he has an article written in the Indy, now he has made this video. https://vimeo.com/132927861

The scare tactics in that video!  Man.  Reminds me of Fox News.  Twist the story to the worst possible scenario and focus on that.  Kane isn't even proposing these terrible scenarios that people are against!  He is just rezoning to the closest possible classification.  If anything, it seems like the zoning classifications are to blame.

Kane should be held to high architectural standards. The image in the Indy fits the description in Kane's proposal to the letter, unfortunately. And that is pretty much the level of quality Kane's other projects have had up to this point, architecturally. I think that kind of skepticism is good to have actually. You can't give developers carte blanche. Good architecture comes from butting heads with them.

The height is good, everything else isn't. I'm glad Kane is making adjustments and the council is trying to keep him accountable for putting something quality there. Raleigh can't afford anything but the best in that spot.

thedillon_render1.png?22a446

This is what we should get. This 'propaganda' image, I guess you'd call it, should be the level of quality the council holds Kane to. Putting the parking deck in the middle instead of the end (like Kane's proposal) is vastly aesthetically superior. Putting the office on the end instead of a setback is also better, though I think that was caused by stupid zoning on the city's part more likely (and I think the folks in the Dawson would push for a setback, even though it makes it worse).

Edited by Spatula

The image created by the random person that was in the Indy is no where near what Kane is proposing.  And Kane has never proposed a parking deck at the south end.

Also, the Dawson is not even across the street from Dillon, so I don't know why they are being brought into this.

People just need to wait until Kane releases the updated version.  The speculation over all this 'what if' is very counterproductive.

Focus should remain on the main points:  creating active uses on the majority all sides, hiding the parking deck, and blending with warehouse architecture as best as possible.

Kane should be held to high architectural standards.

All developers in Raleigh should be held to high architectural standards...period!

That's the main reason why there is so much scrutiny over downtown developments these days. The standards have been lax to say the least.