The Dillon: Kane's first downtown mixed use project

RALNATIVE

8 hours ago, Rufus said:

I don't know about you guys, but I am slowly growing more and more impressed with this project each day. The retail mix is coming together with really interesting tenants, the one office tenant announced so far sounds super interesting, and the buildings are well-designed. This gets me excited at what this is going to look like in a few years with Union Station opening up and more warehouses attracting attention. Also, this just seems to bode well for the Smokey Hollow project. Kane really knows his markets.

I am super impressed with the mix Kane is bringing in. It's quite a bit different than his approach to North Hills. I respect his willingness to try and work with the general aura and feel of the warehouse district. I was afraid it'd end up catering to insta-culture and it's semi generic line of preferences (Starbucks, Panera...that sort of stuff), but it's really not turning out that way at all. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

I am super impressed with the mix Kane is bringing in. It's quite a bit different than his approach to North Hills. I respect his willingness to try and work with the general aura and feel of the warehouse district. I was afraid it'd end up catering to insta-culture and it's semi generic line of preferences (Starbucks, Panera...that sort of stuff), but it's really not turning out that way at all. 

No Starbucks please..., but i'll take Panera.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:14 PM, RALNATIVE said:

No Starbucks please..., but i'll take Panera.

Probably just a matter of time until downtown gets one. I was just afraid we'd get a whole row of the standard, upper middle class chain establishments, like Qdoba, Atlanta Bread Company, PF Changs etc. 

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

Probably just a matter of time until downtown gets one. I was just afraid we'd get a whole row of the standard, upper middle class chain establishments, like Qdoba, Atlanta Bread Company, PF Changs etc. 

A good mix of local and chain would work well, but i agree we definitely don't want downtown retail to become strip mall central.

8 hours ago, Jones_ said:

There’s a Starbucks on Fayetteville and another on peace.

Edited by Isaac
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

There’s a Starbucks on Fayetteville and another on peace.

And another in Cameron Village shifting from inside the Teeter to the old eyeglasses place/freestanding. Yeah I know. I was specifically concerned the about *Warehouse District's new hype and if that would lead to a rush of johhnny-come-latelys with the money to take over the whole area...thereby wiping out a lot of the feel that made the area cool in the first place. 

unique1rdu, I second Mami Nora's. Who knew just roasted chicken and basic sides could be so good! And it's super affordable to boot. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Dillon welcomes its first residents.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/02/26/the-dillon-welcomes-first-residents.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-02-26&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1519677367&j=80203721     free article 

In other Kane Realty news they sold the Midtown Plaza in North Hills 12 story bldg anchored by Allscripts for $127 Million or $385 a square foot which would be the highest per square sale in Raleigh.  Not sure what their equity position is in that building but I am sure they want to use the profits to start their even larger 32 story tower there. 

Subscriber only article

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/02/26/north-hills-tower-sells-for-127m.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-02-26&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1519677224&j=80203721

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

They have been moving very fast on this project. They still have a lot of work to do on the interiors before residents arrive at the end of the week.

• Like 1

It's a pretty slick marketing technique to get some units ready to be occupied well before most of the project gets a CO. There surely were some people chomping at the bit to move in, and now they're there, and likely having friends over, and now you have mouths on the street promoting the project and hyping it even more. Plus seeing furniture and lights on at night, market it as well. I know getting revenue flowing asap is a goal here too, but I think the intended angle here is to build and maintain the palpable hype this has had from the start. 

2 hours ago, Jones_ said:

It's a pretty slick marketing technique to get some units ready to be occupied well before most of the project gets a CO. There surely were some people chomping at the bit to move in, and now they're there, and likely having friends over, and now you have mouths on the street promoting the project and hyping it even more. Plus seeing furniture and lights on at night, market it as well. I know getting revenue flowing asap is a goal here too, but I think the intended angle here is to build and maintain the palpable hype this has had from the start. 

No kidding. I live across the way from the Dillon and took a little tour over the weekend. The residential portion looked nowhere near being ready for occupancy, but i'm sure that Kane will start moving people in the very second they are allowed to by regulations.

^^^ It is all about marketing.  a new 459 unit apartment complex in uptown Charlotte has signed 58 leases out of the first 74 released. The rest of the connected buildings are an active construction zone.  They do want lights on in the units and the first ones opened in this Charlotte complex are on the street.    It is crazy but works.  

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 9:21 PM, KJHburg said:

^^^ It is all about marketing.  a new 459 unit apartment complex in uptown Charlotte has signed 58 leases out of the first 74 released. The rest of the connected buildings are an active construction zone.  They do want lights on in the units and the first ones opened in this Charlotte complex are on the street.    It is crazy but works.  

A relative of mine moved into an apartment in a multi-block complex like that in Charlotte.  You would walk out of their apartment, turn a corner down a hallway and the rest of the building was essentially a construction zone with basically no interior walls complete yet.  Utterly crazy to be living next to that in the same building just a few units away, but hey, it works indeed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A quick search indicates that Analog Devices are currently at Centennial Campus. Tapping into these tech companies who already have operations in the Triangle but are leasing space is going to be the key to the growth in downtown's office market moving forward.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New steakhouse the Oak is coming to the Dillon.  This restaurant is from Charleston and has other locations in SC and in Charlotte.  Should be nice.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/08/02/new-steakhouse-coming-to-the-dillon.html?ana=e_ae_set2&s=article_du&ed=2018-08-02&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1533239577&j=83058141

• Like 3