Paramount747

Regent Partners|25 story apartments|16 story hotel|175-250 feet|proposed|

12 posts in this topic

turn the hotel north south, to make a single building that is L shaped, loose maybe 2 residential units per floor.  save the house.

2 people like this

So...within the last 12 months or so...we've had developments announced that would destroy 3 19th century homes, all basically in Midtown...not to mention the old homes along 17th that Skyhouse will destroy.  Sad to watch them all go.

Oh...and the cool old Combine/EMI Music Pub building destroyed on Music Row.

Whew, good, I thought they were going to tear down our history for some visually pleasing and tall piece of architecture. Luckily, they kept it safe with a 25 story box of generic living quarters. I'd hate to see this city get too fancy...

1 person likes this

Some say they don't care and it's all about tax base and getting more use for the property. I say in this case, f**k that, this is a very rare style of architecture in Nashville that still exists and potentially could be demoed for something that has given us no detailed renders and looks halfway put together as is. Something needs to be done because it helps breaks up the block and monotony of this part of Midtown with a small but well maintained lawn and landscaping.  

For those who are keeping score, from the City web site, the height of the 25 story apartment should about 267 ft. (height of 'roof top terrace' finished roof elevation [747']  minus lobby finished floor elevation [480'] = 267'

No rooftop elevation for the hotel, but it shouldn't be higher than 170'.

19thampBroadheight_zps78d051b3.jpg

Edited by PHofKS

I feel like our city would look like the Pixar move Up if we kept all the historic homes. Wouldn't it look weird having 10-20 story buildings right next to these old homes everyone wants to keep? Sure it is somewhat frustrating to lose them, but it is a house incredibly close to businesses and other large development. I could see the frustration if this was randomly built in a highly residential area and destroyed homes, but how else can Nashville's core grow without destroying some smaller buildings? 

We complain about urban sprawl, but when Nashville tries to grow in the core we complain about that as well. What do we want? The perfect building on an empty lot?

4 people like this

this is the most famous example of a new large building built around an older smaller building

16260414686_cc96141b29_o.jpgmacys1906 by willfry, on Flickr

in this case, if memory serves me, was a refusal to sell. though eventually Macy's did buy the smaller building and it is now part of the store.

2 people like this

I feel like our city would look like the Pixar move Up if we kept all the historic homes. Wouldn't it look weird having 10-20 story buildings right next to these old homes everyone wants to keep? Sure it is somewhat frustrating to lose them, but it is a house incredibly close to businesses and other large development. I could see the frustration if this was randomly built in a highly residential area and destroyed homes, but how else can Nashville's core grow without destroying some smaller buildings? 

We complain about urban sprawl, but when Nashville tries to grow in the core we complain about that as well. What do we want? The perfect building on an empty lot?

It would be one thing if there weren't so many open spots and parking lots in the same areas...or close by.  And...it's not like there are hundreds of these old homes still standing in the area.  Most all...if not all...will be gone within the core of the CBD / Midtown before long.  It would be nice to somehow preserve a few of these...but it's doubtful it will happen.  The all or nothing approach will win out because it's the easiest and least expensive route to take.

1 person likes this

Nothing lately. I stopped in several weeks ago and they said it was moving forward and the building would not be saved, but no time line was mentioned. Nothing really new.