Regent Partners|25 story apartments|16 story hotel|175-250 feet|proposed|

Paramount747

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...within the last 12 months or so...we've had developments announced that would destroy 3 19th century homes, all basically in Midtown...not to mention the old homes along 17th that Skyhouse will destroy.  Sad to watch them all go.

Oh...and the cool old Combine/EMI Music Pub building destroyed on Music Row.

Some say they don't care and it's all about tax base and getting more use for the property. I say in this case, f**k that, this is a very rare style of architecture in Nashville that still exists and potentially could be demoed for something that has given us no detailed renders and looks halfway put together as is. Something needs to be done because it helps breaks up the block and monotony of this part of Midtown with a small but well maintained lawn and landscaping.  

I feel like our city would look like the Pixar move Up if we kept all the historic homes. Wouldn't it look weird having 10-20 story buildings right next to these old homes everyone wants to keep? Sure it is somewhat frustrating to lose them, but it is a house incredibly close to businesses and other large development. I could see the frustration if this was randomly built in a highly residential area and destroyed homes, but how else can Nashville's core grow without destroying some smaller buildings? 

We complain about urban sprawl, but when Nashville tries to grow in the core we complain about that as well. What do we want? The perfect building on an empty lot?

I feel like our city would look like the Pixar move Up if we kept all the historic homes. Wouldn't it look weird having 10-20 story buildings right next to these old homes everyone wants to keep? Sure it is somewhat frustrating to lose them, but it is a house incredibly close to businesses and other large development. I could see the frustration if this was randomly built in a highly residential area and destroyed homes, but how else can Nashville's core grow without destroying some smaller buildings? 

We complain about urban sprawl, but when Nashville tries to grow in the core we complain about that as well. What do we want? The perfect building on an empty lot?

It would be one thing if there weren't so many open spots and parking lots in the same areas...or close by.  And...it's not like there are hundreds of these old homes still standing in the area.  Most all...if not all...will be gone within the core of the CBD / Midtown before long.  It would be nice to somehow preserve a few of these...but it's doubtful it will happen.  The all or nothing approach will win out because it's the easiest and least expensive route to take.

On the contrary, I think it's ugly when buildings in an area are all the same style and scale.  Variety and history are a big part of what makes a city cool and it's kind of sad and dreary when you see an area with only new buildings.  I'm for this project but I hate losing that house in that location.  Mid-town has a few of these old brick mansions and they look really cool on these active and very mixed streets.  

Of course not everyone agrees--look at all those butt-ugly subdivisions in Franklin, which are a product of absurdly confining subdivision restrictions, so apparently the residents actually want them to look that way.  But that mentality has no place in the city center.

• 3 months later...

Archived