Welcome to UrbanPlanet - Metro Grand Rapids!

PBJ

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this info on a thread called "Lurkers" a few months ago, but here it is again ...

YEARS IN GR: 12 (I moved here in 1993 to attend Aquinas College and stuck around ever since)

OCCUPATION: Journalist (watch what you post ... it might end up in an article!!!) ;)

RESIDENCE: East Hills

RELATED INTERESTS: Architecture, design, sushi, rock 'n' roll, Pistons basketball and the rise of urban retail beyond art galleries, boutiques and our stalwart downtown wig shop.

lets translate this shall we?

I have two cats and one is an inside cat ( i think) i'm not casada (dont know what that means). I live in the center of town and i like it much. I attened the university when i...dunno. i want to murder savannah?

I'm guessing one year of spanish class isn't enough for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here:

I have two cats and one is the cat of hell. I am not married. I live center on the city and I like much. I walk to the law university and when I finish, I want to change to Savannah. Perica

To translate babelfish:

I have two cats, and one is the cat from hell. I am single, and I live downtown in GR, and I like living here. I walk to my law school, and when I finish I want to move to Savannah (I assumed Georgia)

Ahh babelfish, it got me a B in french class! :P

Here:

I have two cats and one is the cat of hell. I am not married. I live center on the city and I like much. I walk to the law university and when I finish, I want to change to Savannah. Perica

To translate babelfish:

I have two cats, and one is the cat from hell. I am single, and I live downtown in GR, and I like living here. I walk to my law school, and when I finish I want to move to Savannah (I assumed Georgia)

Ahh babelfish, it got me a B in french class! :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

!Que bueno! (Don't have an upside-down !, sorry.) Usted es muy inteligente. Usted dice mejor el espanol que yo. Me gusta el espanol mucho pero no tengo muchos oportunidades a practicar.

Periquita

I posted this info on a thread called "Lurkers" a few months ago, but here it is again ...

YEARS IN GR: 12 (I moved here in 1993 to attend Aquinas College and stuck around ever since)

OCCUPATION: Journalist (watch what you post ... it might end up in an article!!!) ;) 

RESIDENCE: East Hills

RELATED INTERESTS: Architecture, design, rock 'n' roll, Pistons basketball and the rise of urban retail beyond art galleries, boutiques and our stalwart downtown wig shop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grand Rapids Magazine would never dream of printing anything posted here, Woz. Have you eaten sushi lately?

P.

I've often wondered who all these people are I talk to on the boards, what they do other than surf the site, where they live etc.  It really doesn't have much to do with Urban Development, just a curiosity.  I've been suprised more than once, so I thought we could all share a little detail about ourselves (if you want):

I'll go first:

26 y/o

GVSU Grad (Class of '01 most likely going for my MBA soon)

Systems Engineer - Global Intel Server Support - Haworth

Lived in GR or surrounding area 26 years

Currently in "East Town, Fuller/Wealthy area"

Love the EGR "community Feel" Would love to live Downtown in a "Loft Condo"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't it be a hoot if we were all having dinner at Leo's one night and never knew that we "knew" each other?

B.

!Que bueno! (Don't have an upside-down !, sorry.) Usted es muy inteligente. Usted dice mejor el espanol que yo. Me gusta el espanol mucho pero no tengo muchos oportunidades a practicar.

Periquita

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very good! (no tenga un punto al rev

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe some of the newcomers would like to update here :D You'll have to go back a couple of pages before Budgie's Spanish rants to see who else is here :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

25 yrs old

Married, 1 dog, no kids (yet)

GVSU Grad

Goodness, this is a much younger group than I have imagined. And that's fine, yet it seems typical for internet forums in general.

I just joined urbanplanet last week, two different coworkers introduced me to this budding community. Interestingly, both of these people are over 50 y/o and very cool.

O.K., my own stats:

* Almost 41 y/o;

* Married with one cat;

* We enjoy our Arts and Crafts-style home in the Washburn development in Eastown;

* Was born and raised in Las Vegas and have lived all over the country. Have lived in GR for 16 years ... the longest I've lived anywhere;

* Graduated from Syracuse University with a B.A. in English in the late '80s. It took me five years, and back then the vast majority of students were still on the four-year plan;

* Am a graphic designer working in downtown GR;

* Am personally very interested in urban planning, especially green (earth-friendly), high tech, architecture and arts and culture topics;

* My current interest is learning more about the GR metro area HotSpot Trials and their successes and failures. Am not finding much on this topic, possibly b/c there have been faulty starts. If any of you know of a forum or website with frequent updates, I'd love to know about it. Would love to see its success and implementation.

Nice to meet you all. I hope to do some replying.

Great to have you.  What exactly is that for your avatar :huh:  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. As for the avatarm, the next time you fly on an airplane, take a look at the safety manual, and this illustration is in it. I think it is funny, because the small child whom is being assisted by his mother in using his oxygen mask looks like a grown man but very, very short. It's a little strange, but very funny.

It looks like pretty much everyone has introduced themselves so here's my info:

25 yrs old. engaged

Graduated from Ferris State University in Big Rapids with a Computer Networks & Systems degree.

Work for an IT contracting company in GR for the last three years (my current contract is in Holland)

Lived in GR for 17 yrs, but recently moved to Holland to save money for my wedding. Spending $300 a month in gas, puts a damper on expenses. Don't worry guys I haven't deserted GR. I'll be moving back next year after the wedding. I'd like to live in a condo downtown, but unfortunately my fiance is a country girl.

One of my dreams is to see a 50 story in downtown GR before I die. (That's not too much to ask for. Is it? :) )

Finding this forum has been an awesome experience. I discovered it last year while looking for info on Icon on Bond (then 21 story Twin Towers) :angry: and the new Marriot hotel.

I've taken lots of pictures of all the downtown construction progress in a last 6 months, but I haven't got off my butt to post them on hear.

21 years old

Student in Information Technologies at Michigan State University.

I am going to graduate in December of this year.

Live in East Lansing now, the rest of my life was spent in Grandville.

Plan on moving back to GR after school, and would love to live downtown.

Currently work for the Enterprise Networks division of Siemens Com.

Nice to meet everyone!!

I'll guess I'll be the first to say welcome, since I'm here so dxxn much :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! :P

I found this place by looking for River House info on Google. I am pretty sure my parents just put a deposit down on a place. :D

• 1 month later...

hi. i'm george. i found this thread way back in the archives and thought it a good way to introduce myself.

i am 24 and just started grad school at GVSU yesterday. i am in the nonprofit administration program, but with as much of an urban planning as possible. i think this just means all of my electives will be in urban planning.  i was born in lansing, but have lived in grand rapids for as long as i can remember. i grew up in SE end, but have since lived in allendale, eastown, and currently live right on the border of heritage hill and heartside at wealthy/lafayette. i tend to rut, and RARELY leave the stretch of five neighborhoods between heartside/downtown and eastown. i don't like to talk loudly or run. i do like my bike.

grand rapids was my first love. and i really like living in grand rapids to this day. i grew up here, i am comfortable here. i feel it has a lot to offer and is very plastic - in the sense that it has the ability to be formed. the single greatest attribute of grand rapids, i believe, is potential. it has nothing but potential, really. potential and cheap rent. everything that is great could be better, and i am confident that it will be. currently, i am involved with the DAAC and G-RAD.org and a couple other arts oriented projects around town. i am also a catholic central grad, so between highschool, the venue, and the UICA i have spent a considerable amount of time on the 'avenue of the arts,' and have a particular interest in that area. 

i am really glad i found this forum. i found it through the url referers for G-RAD.

anyways, pleased to meet you all, and thank you for having this great resource!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome George (elyw77)! I don't have admin status, but this is kind of a roundabout way to get your post on the demographics thread :P

Archived