Main at Falls Park Dr

gman430

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also love the look and scale but I'm curious about parking (though residential units will be limited). Is there not a requirement to provide parking?

Good question. Maybe they will park at the Riverplace garage across the street.

I LOVE this design! It is one of the best proposals I have seen in Greenville in a long time, and will be one of my favorites the moment it is built. :shades:

This proposal has already been modified at the DRB's request. I dislike the new 20 feet setback on such a small building, but an additional floor was added to offset the lost space on the 5th floor. Not sure what that new corner element is on the 5th floor, but it is a bit tacky in my opinion.

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/hughes-makes-plans-for-falls-park-place/

I think the stepping back of the upper floors was a crucial move, and I really wouldn't oppose them stepping back one additional floor. Overall the proportions are starting to feel better and this should jive better with its historic neighbors vs the previous iteration. I do agree that I don't like whatever has been added to the corner.

Well I knew they were going to have to make some changes, but...... I don't know. It looks like they are trying to do to much. Especially with thing on the fifth floor. What is that?

I think Mr. Hughes is even questioning this one.

This building would look great with out the upper levels stepped back. As it stands, with the top levels set back, it looks goofy, unattractive and just plain strange.

I agree with the above and gman's comments.  Do we have to make everything look nautical downtown? The design was classical, now it looks mixed up.  The reduced footprint of the upper floors is going to make adding a rooftop space less feasible, the design as a whole seems less feasible and now its going to be taller than the riverplace building but not in a substantial way, just sort of an afterthought nub sticking up into the sky, ugh.  I am starting to doubt this will ever see the light of day.

Updated renderings are now up: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/1803?fileID=5577 Is it true that a national retailer is planned for this building?

It could make a lot of sense for a national retailer to locate there. You won't find a higher profile site in downtown. I like that they're considering a restaurant for the second floor. The views will certainly be nice!

• 2 weeks later...

That "sail-like element" has absolutely nothing to do with the Liberty Bridge or Falls Park, despite the architect's insistence to the contrary. That element has nothing to do with anything in Downtown, including the building it would be attached to.

That "sail-like element" has absolutely nothing to do with the Liberty Bridge or Falls Park, despite the architect's insistence to the contrary. That element has nothing to do with anything in Downtown, including the building it would be attached to.

good thing it looks easy to get rid of after installation if its drawbacks outweigh its utility. Calm down.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived