4th Ward District

RALNATIVE

Little did I know that Raleigh had a 4th ward. Apparently it does and is now the site of a significant redevelopment effort by the city and a local urban development company. The goal is to restore a number of historically significant homes in this area. I drove by the Dorothea Gardens project this afternoon and was impressed with what I saw. Seems like all of the homes within this project and the Rosengarten Park project have already sold out. With the proximity to Dix Hill I can see these locations being prime properties.

http://cityspaceraleigh.com/

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ward system was very short lived and IIRC was formed in the 1850's for 1-3. Ward 2 being Fayettevile and a block or two on each side of that and 1 and 3 being the extreme west and east side of the City...don't remember which was which. 1 and 3 expanded with the slight east and west expansion of the city limits...again I forget exactly when but its all in Elizabeth Reid Murray's book found at the CIty Museum. Fourth ward was the post civil war southern expansion of the City limits that included many now lost streets south of what is now the MLK/Western/Saunders interchange. 

Anyway, CitySpace is the developer for Caraleigh Commons too. 

• 1 year later...

Looks like maybe some big development heading to South Street at the old Ice Market and stretching down the block past Boulted Bread...  Same developer from NYC owns ~1.6 acres here.  Judging by the rendering, maybe some modern looking townhomes with parking in the rear similar to "Ten on Person"?  Just a guess.

Same developer also owns 1/2 acre at the SW corner of Lenoir & West.

IMG_3348.PNG

ice-market development.jpg

I'm a huge fan of these infill (and this is actual infill instead of immediate teardown and replace) townhouse developments. The scale, the increased density and the inevitable increase in street level presence by residents (vs our friend the walled off megablock apartments) are all big plusses for this area. I'm betting that if they have a good design, they all get sold before they are even completed. The downtown market on everything except condos, is surging big time. 

• 6 months later...

http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2016/SiteReview/SR-085-16.pdf is what I saw.  No elevations of the buildings shown.  In my opinion, would be some attractive brownstone type townhomes, but more likely modern looking if RAC is still involved.  Also, I count 30 units on the site plan, but the application lists 42, so some must be single level units stacked?

I see three staircases that don't look like front door stairs, so maybe those are the access for stacked flats. Yeah brownstone style would have bee nice here since it's adjacent to Boylan Heights and Dorthea Gardens replica stuff as well. All of sudden the closed up convenient store to the west of Boulted looks like a great retro diner or bar space....

Edit: Thanks for the link

• 2 weeks later...

Site Plan (SR-090-16) submitted to city for 5-story apartment building at NE corner of S. West Street & S. Lenoir St.

2 separate levels of parking.  lower level accessed from West Street.  upper level accessed from Harrington St.  Looks like one retail space (~1,900 sf) at the lower level facing West St.  47 apartment units.  Each floor about 21,500 sf.

If not for the electrical substation, would be some of the best views of downtown.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Walked through the area today and it looks like that storage unit thing is having its site cleared. Also the West + Lenoir townhouses have foundations coming together. I also read there is supposed to be a phase two to that...9 more units I want to say? Haven't see a site plan yet though...

For some reason I love the 4th Ward area so I will provide random, written, updates. The two-way conversion of South St through here is complete and looks great. Plenty of rooms for bikes too. The old Ice House site appears to be in full remediation mode...digging out soil so deep it must have been contaminated. I feel like this was a gas station before it was an ice house based on its form and siting. Thirdly, the second phase of West+Lenoir is now obviously the convenience store site along South Street....its fence off and my guess will rapidly be built on too based on the sales rate of the first phase (6/12 so far). 

Does anyone know anything about the Men at Work parcels (611 S Saunders and 520 W South) and the parcel directly to the east (518 W South)? They were purchased in November by an LLC that doesn't appear to be affiliated with Lambert.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived