4th Ward District

RALNATIVE

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2017 at 3:22 PM, Green_man said:

Some sad news... a couple weeks ago Men at Work Car Care Center was pushed out.  Sad to lose a business that was serving the community in such a good way.  Whatever replaces it better be damn good.

Sad indeed. One of the down sides to a rapidly growing city. I get my hair cut at Men at Work and am afraid a lot of the good businesses there will continue to get pushed out.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Merthecat said:

I saw what looked to be elevator shafts rising on the new storage facility where I believe Men At Work Car Care Center used to be.  I wasn't very close, though, so it could have been another project.

Its the storage building (4 stories) going at 410 W South.

nitneil_storage_southst.jpg

http://www.raleighnc.gov/home/news/content/CorNews/Articles/TransportationBondProposal.html

Included in the City's 2017 Transportation Bond Proposal is partial funding for an extension of West Street beneath the railroad tracks to connect with Cabarrus Street. 

"A portion of this funding would allow the City to proceed with design of the proposed West Street Extension under the NC Railroad Corridor between Martin Street and Cabarrus Street, which provides a critical connection to the new Raleigh Union Station. The remaining funding would allow the City to provide a local match in order to pursue federal grant funding for the project."

5 hours ago, Merthecat said:

http://www.raleighnc.gov/home/news/content/CorNews/Articles/TransportationBondProposal.html

Included in the City's 2017 Transportation Bond Proposal is partial funding for an extension of West Street beneath the railroad tracks to connect with Cabarrus Street. 

"A portion of this funding would allow the City to proceed with design of the proposed West Street Extension under the NC Railroad Corridor between Martin Street and Cabarrus Street, which provides a critical connection to the new Raleigh Union Station. The remaining funding would allow the City to provide a local match in order to pursue federal grant funding for the project."

Does anyone mind if I get political and highly suggest that this would be an awesome proposal to vote yes on?

19 hours ago, Merthecat said:

I remain unclear on how exactly this is being built. I have heard (maybe read) that Cabarrus actually gets closed so as to make the West Street connection. It certainly seems self defeating to close an important east/west approach in favor of a a north/south approach that leads nowhere. I suppose the two-way of Lenoir and South was supposed to make West connecting to Union Station function better. Of course, this could be 100% wrong and Cabarrus could remain a through street (Fayetteville St notwithstanding) and everything is hunky dory. The original Union Station plan online had this connection but last time I checked I could not find this specific piece so cannot see the plan details...insight is appreciated. 

Cheers 

Just now, ctl said:

I suppose it was deleted from the Union Station plans when the project costs escalated over and over. 

Yeah from what was Bid, but the engineering plans should still be sitting on a shelf somewhere...or someone here maybe saved a copy (I do that sometimes)...anyway, I assume the design has not changed. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Lambert Development changing directions with 611 W South St.  from 40 townhome-style condos to 88 smaller units condo building.  West+Lenoir Phase 2 townhomes about to start construction.  Raleigh Architecture Co. renovating 716 S. Saunders st. for their offices.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2016 at 10:18 AM, Green_man said:

Site Plan (SR-090-16) submitted to city for 5-story apartment building at NE corner of S. West Street & S. Lenoir St.

2 separate levels of parking.  lower level accessed from West Street.  upper level accessed from Harrington St.  Looks like one retail space (~1,900 sf) at the lower level facing West St.  47 apartment units.  Each floor about 21,500 sf.

If not for the electrical substation, would be some of the best views of downtown.

The [altered] project at this location has some movement. The slightly larger tri-gabled house is gone (demolished?) and the smaller, but architecturally more interesting house, is being readied for a move. 

Archived