The Jacksonville Landing

vladittude0583

Hey, I had dropped by the Jacksonville Landing today after such a long time and I must say that it's in need of much redeveloping especially with such a lack of activity in the shops. As I was leaving, I saw the planned development for the Landing including the hotels, parking, and additions to the mall in an enclosed glass case near the main entrance. Adding to my interests, it shows that they're building a "hotel" I assume near the jacksonville commerce building near the Hyatt Hotel which is almost as tall as the Modis building itself (talk about a tall hotel for once in the jacksonville area and nicer looking than the Hyatt Hotel). Does anyone know when they're actually supposed to start on this project b/c it sure would add a nice touch to the Northbank skyline. All I know is the Tony Sleiman has already gotten an agreement between him and the city on this project which I believe is broken up into 3 phases last time I heard but haven't really heard much since then as to when this project is supposed to take place.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The skyscraper in the model is not the hotel. The skyscraper is planned as an office/condo building. The hotel will be on top of one of the new garages, specifically the directly behind the existing west side of the complex. I will be a small hotel (200 or fewer rooms, I think).

The agreement between the Landing and the city has not been sent to the JEDC yet, the last I heard. Like everything else, it is taking a slow path. I believe the agreement is only in regards to the first phase.

Yeah, I had a similar experience at the Jacksonville Landing two weeks ago or so. It's strange, I don't know how any of the retail in it remains profitable aside from restaurants. I was shocked when I saw the Foot Locker in it, it was like stepping into a time warp. The size of it and look of the entrance sign and everything took me back to when I was like 9 years old walking around the Edison Mall in Ft. Myers with my Mom. It's shocking it's even still open considering it doesn't look like it's been renovated since 1985 or whenever it had to be first opened.

I really hope that they do something cool with the renovations. The Landing is so unique and in such a beautiful setting, and it should be a staple and trademark of downtown Jacksonville with it's integration into the riverwalk on both sides of the Main Street bridge. When some condos start to open and downtown living becomes more readily available, The Landings will probably be an entertainment destination again if enough effort is put into it. I'd like to see a Barnes and Noble, movie theatre, coffee house that's open past 10pm (does such a thing exist in this city besides Fuel?), shopping, maybe even some day far into the future a grocery store like the new Urban-serving Publix in Miami that someone recently posted photos of.

• 2 weeks later...

Landing's owner alters city contract

The developer acts toward realizing a plan to revitalize the waterfront property.

By GREGORY RICHARDS, The Times-Union

Plans to add more stores, restaurants and parking spaces to The Jacksonville Landing have taken a step forward, with Landing owner Sleiman Enterprises submitting to City Hall changes to the pending contract between the two parties.

Among the new requirements Sleiman laid out Friday for the Landing, a downtown shopping and entertainment complex:

# No property taxes would be paid for four years on the 11.2-acre site, valued at $13.2 million.

# A "dedicated trolley," paid for by the city, would connect the Landing and "certain downtown hotels, developments and office buildings." More information on those destinations was unavailable Monday.

# The city and its agencies, such as the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission, would not have any right to interfere with the "management, development, redevelopment, construction and operation" of the Landing beyond enforcing applicable laws. Among the tasks the contract says Sleiman shall have sole authority over are the design and construction of the renovations and new buildings planned for the center. Normally, the city would review and approve the architecture of any downtown building.

Read the rest here, I dare you!

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18930643.shtml

The property tax exemption and free trolly are actually good ideas given the unique circumstances - the landing wouldn't have had to pay property tax anyway because the city broke its contract and never built a parking garage. This actually speeds up the process to put the landing back on the tax rolls. Also, the city already runs 3 free trolly lines. They could just slightly alter one of the trolly routes rather than create a new one.

Exempting Sleiman from the DRC would be a TERRIBLE idea. I like Sleiman as a businessman, but the guy has no taste whatsoever. Without design review, he would probably do some crazy things. Blank stucco walls galore! I'm betting (hoping) the city will firmly reject that clause.

That design clause seems outrageous. I don't see how anyone could be immune to some sort of design review, no matter what. It is pointless to put this in the contract, because i don't see any way that the city would agree. I take that back, knowing our city they probably would, but i'm against it.

All I have to say is that even if Sleiman goes ahead with the plans to redevelop The Landing without questioning from the DDRC or whatever, hopefully his he stays course with the plans as displayed @ The Landing, otherwise, we're in for trouble I guess. It's hard to say b/c it all depends on the extremities of his plans for the redevelopment. Let's just hope that he stays course with what he's got planned.

I sorry, but I disagree. The Landing's planned stucco facade is hideous and we need to keep that suburban crap out in the Southside. It would probably be a good idea to kill the entire interior portion of the center and just reformat retail space to line either the courtyard or Water Street. This thing definately needs to undergo review, by the DRC, before any building permits are approved or construction takes place.

image6.jpg

*needs better interaction with Water Street.*

I whole heartedly and totally agree that the thing needs to go before the DRC and DDA. However, having had to get things through the DRC and DDA, good stuff get's a thumbs down alot and some nasty stuff has been approved. So it is a hit and miss with them both. IMO, the concept that Sleighman is pushing with the redesign of the landing is good and it needs to be done, however, the style in which he is acheiving that vision, all of that stucco pomo crap belongs somewhere else.

Archived